Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recruiting

+23
blacky
RODH2
Audamus
brodlach
PMSL
testy
Mark Beswick
TAAARS
firstblood
frenchy
scorpion
billrobs1
Oldfella
Lee Harradine
aldo russian
MR BLOODHOUND
captainblood
mailman
ccrump
Jamo
Wolf Pack
Mypaspective
Lachlan
27 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Recruiting - Page 4 Empty Re: Recruiting

Post by Wolf Pack Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:32 pm

PMSL wrote:
ccrump wrote:sucks to say, but we are the only team in the sanfl that hasnt improved there squad ova the offff season. we have gone backwards

Lost a lot of players at the end of 2014. Yes brought in Porplyzia Helbig and Ryan Willets .
But off the top of my head we lost: Birss, Anderson, Still, Bricknell, Kirk, Durdin, Carter, Fisher,McCreadie, Thompson.

That is a lot of experience and quality out the door. Not many would have picked Snelling Haysman Agostino to step up like they did.  

Time will tell but I don't think the players we lost at the end of 2014 compare to Beech, Keough, Milne, Francis, Snelling and probably O'Brien.
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 796

Back to top Go down

Post by Audamus Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:51 pm

The West Adelaide Football Club is pleased to announce the signings of Lachie and Josh Ryan.

Lachie and Josh are twin brothers from Mildura. Both of which have previously played for NSW/ACT in the National Championships.

Lachie, with his super clean kick has played most of his footy as a running half back, but has also adapted to play wing, half forward and can win the footy in the midfield.

Josh has played a lot of footy up forward and in ruck, but in the last couple of years has developed into a key defender, taking on some high profile players in the TAC cup.

Both trained on Wednesday night, impressing with their hard-running and ball movement.

The West Adelaide Football Club is very pleased to have Lachie and Josh running around in Red and Black this year, and we look forward to watching them develop.
Audamus
Audamus

Number of posts : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:16 pm

ccrump wrote:sucks to say, but we are the only team in the sanfl that hasnt improved there squad ova the offff season. we have gone backwards

Maybe we need to play a game this year before you jump off. Sounds like we got rucks, rovers and speed. Looks like another Premiership to me.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Beswick Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:52 pm

You cant begrudge a player going on that i totally agree
Not sure 150k figure is accurate but it would be much more than an sanfl club can offer

I now see 1 player only that has been listed in the last 2 years makes me feel better but i still hope if we do lose a player we get $$$$ compensation

If the norwood statement eluded to is true that would be crazy. A year goes by quickly and we may be lucky enough to get 3 to 5 players return to us. It still doesn't make me feel better that we could lose a good player so late in the piece though
Mark Beswick
Mark Beswick

Number of posts : 314

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:12 pm

Players from here would not quit their job and move interstate to go there for one year for little money. Would want to be paid handsomely IMO. $150,000 would be less than the average wage in the AFL
brodlach
brodlach

Number of posts : 442

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:07 pm

According to the rules the AFL have set down, the only players they could take from us are Porplyzia, O'Brien or Helbig. The Advertiser reports that Essendon inquired about 3 of our players so I assume it was them.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1356

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:48 pm

I guess good news is really scarce when a press release is issued for lads from Mildura. Did Brad Eagle get one when he came from Mildura?
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by ccrump Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:13 pm

Second Team wrote:

Maybe we need to play a game this year before you jump off. Sounds like we got rucks, rovers and speed. Looks like another Premiership to me.

Rucks will be a problem when pette Nelson goes river league end of febaury.
Injury to willlllits n Webbb n we r in trouble Sad
ccrump
ccrump

Number of posts : 42

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:34 pm

Why would Nelson do a pre season and then quit???
Doesn't really make sense.......
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:08 pm

brodlach wrote:I guess good news is really scarce when a press release is issued for lads from Mildura. Did Brad Eagle get one when he came from Mildura?

We're trying to communicate with members. Would you prefer we didn't put it on the website? Smile
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2180

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:31 pm

I reckon the communication from Westies is great, keep up the good work!! Laughing
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:05 pm

I think you are missing my point Lee. Most people would agree, for one reason or another, that our recruiting this off season has been underwhelming and so we sign two kids from the country it needs a press release when in times past they would just quietly gone into the club. To me it smacks of a little bit of desperation. Just my opinion.
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Has one of our recent signings
had second thoughts already
blacky

Number of posts : 251

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:00 pm

brodlach wrote:I think you are missing my point  Lee.  Most people would agree, for one reason or another, that our recruiting this off season has been underwhelming and so we sign two kids from the country it needs a press release when in times past they would just quietly gone into the club. To me it smacks of a little bit of desperation. Just my opinion.

No problem  brodlach. 2 separate issues, perhaps. We're tending to use our website to give as much info as possible about new playrrs to the club. We always have new local players trying out, but notify members about lads from interstate who have been highly recommended to us.

We obviously tried to recruit a key defender and were close to succeeding, but it's not easy, as other clubs have also found. Losing Beechy and Tom so late made it difficult, too. We're rapt to have got Zac O'Brien, who would be perhaps the best credentialled recruit this year.

There's certainly no desperation. We're confident of our new talent coming through as well.

Our premiership team had several players who nobody would have expected to be in it before the start of last season.

Last edited by Lee Harradine on Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:02 pm

blacky wrote:Has one of our recent signings

Who would that recruit be?
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by whispy Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:27 am

Wolf Pack wrote:
blacky wrote:Has one of our recent signings

Who would that recruit be?

Must be that aboriginal lad from Darwin.
whispy
whispy

Number of posts : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:34 am

You're Hagan us on surely Blacky Wink
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:40 pm

Second Team wrote:

A ball has not been bounced and we are just about writing our team off.Steady on guys we still have a lot of talent for the coach to work with.
bundy
bundy

Number of posts : 460
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:49 pm

Certainly wouldn't be writing the team off!!!
BUT I think supporters would have liked a bit more on the recruiting side.
Particularly when you look at a lot of the other teams. If O'Brien goes to Essendon, then really we have only got Trent Stubbs as a ready made player....
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:25 pm

I think we will have a very strong midfield especially if we keep O'Brien.
It has been frustrating not to have signed a Key Position Player who is a ready made league player.

Fingers crossed Hartlett,Webb and Hardy have an injury free year, and players such as Klemke and even Watchman can take the next step
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:32 am

Wolf Pack wrote:Certainly wouldn't be writing the team off!!!
BUT I think supporters would have liked a bit more on the recruiting side.
Particularly when you look at a lot of the other teams. If O'Brien goes to  Essendon, then really we have only got Trent Stubbs as a ready made player....

That's very fair comment, WP.

We all would have liked to recruit another key position player and tried everything to do so.

The rookie draft hurt us, not only for losing 3 key players, but also we had a likely key position signing drafted.

Recruiting also has to look at the longer-term, of course, hence some of our younger recruits. We have another young lad training next week from interstate.

As for replacements, I think Agostino, Brind, Homburg, Anderson and several others who didn't play the GF will be great replacements.

Last edited by Lee Harradine on Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:48 pm

No doubt those players who missed the GF are good enough to play consistent league footy this year.
Hopefully Klemke and Hardy can fill the holes that Milne and Keough have left.
Looking forward to season 2016!!

Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:53 pm

SANFL News
18 JAN 2016
WESTIES WAIT ON O’BRIEN

By ZAC MILBANK | Twitter @zacmilbank

West Adelaide is yet to hear from Essendon in regard to supplying the club with a top-up player for season 2016.

Despite speculation last week the Bloods’ star recruit Zac O’Brien was on the Bombers’ recruiting radar, West football manager Andrew Marks said he hadn’t been contacted about acquiring the former Brisbane Lion’s services.

Speaking on SANFL Radio, Marks said O’Brien – who previously played with Essendon’s VFL outfit – was settling in well after attending his first training session last week.

Marks also revealed Bloods utility Andrew Hayes – a premiership player with Central District – has opted to end his SANFL career after a wretched run with hamstring injuries.

Ken Farmer Medallist Justin Hardy continues to battle a quad ailment while two youngsters have caught the eye on the training track with their positive attitude and commitment.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:03 pm

Just listenned to interview and andrew marks realy presents the club in a very good manner well done onya

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 1044
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by ccrump Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:09 am

o'brien close to signing at essendon? this really hurts
ccrump
ccrump

Number of posts : 42