Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

West v Eagles

+10
Wolfman Jack
MR BLOODHOUND
Thiele
Oldfella
Lachlan
Lee Harradine
mikeme
aldo russian
bruce cameron
Wolf Pack
14 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

West v Eagles Empty West v Eagles

Post by Wolf Pack Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:59 pm

So we are playing a team we haven’t beaten since the 2015 Grand Final and they are coming off a loss.
They are the best defensive team in the comp.
We can’t allow the Eagles to dictate the game from their back line. We need even numbers when we go inside 50. Make them accountable rather than just zoning off without having to account for one of our players.

Also, cut the short kicks and side to side crap, when we have the ball in our defensive 50.
Try the corridor.
Play Jono Beech closer to goal. He is a proven goal kicker, but gets too much of the ball at wing or half forward.

Easy right 🤣
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 796

Back to top Go down

West v Eagles Empty Re: West v Eagles

Post by bruce cameron Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:45 am

Wolf Pack wrote:So we are playing a team we haven’t beaten since the 2015 Grand Final and they are coming off a loss.
They are the best defensive team in the comp.
We can’t allow the Eagles to dictate the game from their back line. We need even numbers when we go inside 50. Make them accountable rather than just zoning off without having to account for one of our players.

Also, cut the short kicks and side to side crap, when we have the ball in our defensive 50.
Try the corridor.
Play Jono Beech closer to goal. He is a proven goal kicker, but gets too much of the ball at wing or half forward.

Easy right 🤣
Couldn't agree more. Beech should be a target inside 50, not holding up play waiting for forwards to move into position. Beech, Keough and Middleton are our best marks and need to operate within the 50 metre arc. Beech and Keough are also mobile. Providing three marking options puts pressure on the opposition defence and creates room for small crumbing forwards like G Turner and Karpany to work in. Surely this must be a priority for a team which has kicked 8, 9 and 5 goals in the first three rounds. The newer players currently playing in defence are doing a great job, particularly with experienced players such as Hill (10 tackles against Centrals) and Schmidt back there to help them. Wasley-Black should be given a go at CHF, he's tall enough, mobile and a penetrating left footed kick. Willsmore has failed to get a lot of the ball so far, however is an accurate kick, so why not try him at half forward. Ando needs to come back into the team at half back. Positioning considerations aside, we need to improve our field kicking. Without wanting to single out a particular player, there are several, Waite's disposal in the last quarter against Centrals was appalling. Twice, within a minute, he kicked the ball straight to the opposition when he was under no pressure whatsoever, once from a mark and once from a free kick. This was at a time when we could still have won the match. Snelling also turned the ball over in the last quarter when running into an open goal, albeit on an angle and under some pressure. There was a greater chance of scoring than there was hitting the inboard target, who was covered by two opposition players.
The players' endeavour, apart from a few times on Saturday, is generally excellent. Given the reduced salary cap, I think the list is OK, although we need at least two more talls. The transitioning of players to the senior level has been excellent. I think the appointment of the coach was a good one, however the way we play at the moment doesn't make sense to me. To get the 2 points you need to outscore your opponents. Surely the best way to achieve this by moving the ball quickly, in a forward direction, to give our forwards the best chance of scoring.
I have no doubt that Gavin has a plan and knows what's required to carry it out successfully, however at the moment it is excruciating watching us play. Hopefully, we'll turn this around on Friday.
Go the Bloods
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 379
Job/hobbies : Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:25 am

bruce I share your frustration at not having marking targets in the forward 50, but if Beech, Keough and Middleton are told to stay in the forward 50 what happens when their opponents run downfield as spare men?
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1356

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:20 am

At the moment we could have Roger Luders, Fred Phillis or Grenville Deitrich playing up forward and it wouldn't make a scrap of difference. The simple truth is we need to win stoppage ball. It dosn't matter what part of the ground we are in if we can't win the ball and gain an effective clearance then we don't give our players forward of the ball a chance. If we are unable to win the stoppages we need to make the tackles stick and start the stoppage again. Too often over the last 3 games tackles have been broken or just weak allowing opposition to give the ball off. One percenter's are the most under rated stat in football but they go a long way to winning games.

Lets all stay behind the team and show our support.
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:36 am

I would try to keep things in proportion and identify the major problems.

We led Port in the last quarter and were then blown away.

We were in a potential winning position early in the last quarter against North and then were blown away.

We were in a similar position last Saturday after kicking the first goal of the final quarter and then gave little for the rest of the game.  I wonder if all that indicates a fitness problem for a start.  If not, it certainly indicates the mental side of our game needs attention.

If we then move to our game style, over the past year that has been shown to be on the right track, but we are slow.  We're certainly missing some pace and cleverness and Haysman and Bates would help with that.  Losing Agostino was also a blow.

Our midfielders are too similar, mostly harder inside players and we lack a quick midfielder to move the ball quickly once it's out.  Instead we finish up with several handbballs, looking for space.  It might be silly, but I wonder if we should give John Noble an occasional run on the ball to complement the ball-winners.

Jack and Lachie Evans are big improvers, but our starting half-backs need to be good ball users and/or runners.  I'd have 2 of Schmidt, Batley and Willsmore there to starrt, all good ball users.

I'm happy with the full back line, Ryan is excellent and Dunkin's ball use is very good.

The forwards suffer from slow ball movement, but the personnel are the best we have.  I thought Mason's game was good, given the numbers manning up on him, Beechy was good, but I agree he's having to get his kicks too far out.  Gibson Turner is exciting and highly skilled, but is also often fighting for the ball more than a kick from goal.

Brett Turner had a poor game, but is better than that and perhaps needs to regain confidence first.  Keelan Laube should come in as a utility who could play defence or, imo, a wing.  Likes to run, good intercept mark, good disposal, but not yet strong enough in a contested marking situation.  Another possible who has been very good this year, but was down last week, is Kyle Kirk, who has some pace and gives everything.

The Eagles will rightly start hot favourites, but I'm hoping we can see our team with a much stronger attack on the footy and make the tackles stick, something which was really poorly executed last week.

Let's back the boys in and hope they will repay our faith.

Last edited by Lee Harradine on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2180

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:36 am

Agree with your post, mikeme.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:50 am

I would try to keep things in proportion and identify the major problems. (Quote)

Not kicking a winning score would be one of them.

At the moment we could have Roger Luders, Fred Phillis or Grenville Deitrich playing up forward and it wouldn't make a scrap of difference.(Quote)

I don't recall any of these players getting too far up the ground. Opposition defenders would think twice before running downfield as spare men. They were there to do a job, kick goals.

The simple truth is we need to win stoppage ball. It dosn't matter what part of the ground we are in if we can't win the ball and gain an effective clearance then we don't give our players forward of the ball a chance. If we are unable to win the stoppages we need to make the tackles stick and start the stoppage again. Too often over the last 3 games tackles have been broken or just weak allowing opposition to give the ball off. One percenter's are the most under rated stat in football but they go a long way to winning games. (Quote)

As I mentioned in a previous post, our tackling is not often effective, although the stats reveal that we are roughly on a par with our opposition. We have a few players who regularly chalk up high numbers which means that the stats don't indicate just how weak we are in this area. Apart from the Port game we have registered a similar number of clearances as our opponents. I think the issue comes with how ineffective our clearances are. So again, the stats don't necessarily reveal this as a weakness.

We led Port in the last quarter and were then blown away.
We were in a potential winning position early in the last quarter against North and then were blown away.
We were in a similar position last Saturday after kicking the first goal of the final quarter and then gave little for the rest of the game. (Quote)
This would indicate we are winning enough of the ball, even dominating at times, to be a threat. Maybe we need to get more reward for when we are on top.

bruce I share your frustration at not having marking targets in the forward 50, but if Beech, Keough and Middleton are told to stay in the forward 50 what happens when their opponents run downfield as spare men? (Quote)

We need forward targets. I wasn't really suggesting that they never cross the arc, but their priority should be to present themselves as marking options within scoring distance and be in position so that we don't have to hold up play until they are.

I wonder if all that indicates a fitness problem for a start. (Quote)

Shouldn't be. Gavin told us at the AGM that the players had done everything asked of them. Surely fitness was part of his assessment.

Let's back the boys in and hope they will repay our faith. (Quote)
Lets all stay behind the team and show our support. (Quote)

Couldn't agree more. That's why I go every week (well almost), dine at the club as often as I can and refrain from making negative comments.

Go Bloods

bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:40 pm

I grew with all the posters.

What we need to do this week is to increase our intensity around the ball and move the ball on quicker which something we haven’t done all year including the trial matches.

I think moving Noble into the midfield is a very good idea.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:32 pm

Players like Phillis, Luders etc didn't leave the forward 50 because in those days players essentially held their positions. But today forwards are obliged to move down field with their opponents whenever the opposition has the ball. I don't know what the answer is but leaving their opponents to go free doesn't seem like it.
And I'm not sure our mids are really any slower than the top teams' mids like Grigg, Panos, Lewis, Boyd, Kirkwood. I think we are several good players short of being a good side, but I don't know why we are getting sub-par performances from our good players.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:39 pm

While admitting i have not seen the team live i watched the games on Digital Pass and especially have watch the last game several times.

I tend to agree with most of the comment above and this situation is not helped by who is out injured and the one game suspension of a key recruit.

LATEST INJURY LIST from SANFL Website
Dustin Head Ankle        4-6 weeks
Hugh Haysman Hamstring 4-6 weeks
Jayden Klemke ACL +MCL Season
Jade Cleeland Back        Test
Jack Agostino Quad        2-3 weeks
Patrick Levicki Knee        4-6 weeks
Scott Bentley* Hamstring 4 weeks
Chris Schmidt* Calf                Test

I do feel that there are several players at league level that have shown in the 3 games that they cannot control their kicking skills constantly missing targets under no pressure and as such should be dropped or let go from the club ----- harsh i know but if a player has not got league level skills then play a kid who has.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 1044
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:53 pm

[quote="aldo russian"]Players like Phillis, Luders etc didn't leave the forward 50 because in those days players essentially held their positions. But today forwards are obliged to move down field with their opponents whenever the opposition has the ball. I don't know what the answer is but leaving their opponents to go free doesn't seem like it. ... I think we are several good players short of being a good side...

Yes, the game has evolved, but it would be interesting to see what would happen if a few key forwards didn't follow their opponents down the ground like they are obliged to do. These defenders are also obliged to check their opponents and would need to get back in a hurry when a turnover occurs. Of course rapid ball movement is the key to taking advantage of a turnover. Other teams manage to pull this off, why can't we. If this isn't the answer, then we need to find one quickly because kicking less than 10 goals isn't going to win us many/any games.
If we are 'several good players short of being a good side' then we need to identify those who are short of league standard, or are unlikely to get there, and focus on those who might. The sooner we get games into some of our junior players the better.
Let's hope for a vastly improved showing on Friday.
Go Bloods
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:49 pm

I agree bruce , and I think it's pretty easy to identify those players.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:13 pm

WEST
West Adelaide has opted to make at least two unforced changes for the clash against the Eagles on Good Friday.
Brett Turner and Kenneth Karpany have been sent back to the Reserves, paving the way for Isaac Johnson and Dallas Willsmore to return to the starting 18.
Willsmore has served a one-match ban from the SANFL Match Review Panel while Johnson had 20 disposals and kicked two goals in the Reserves last round.
Keelan Laube, who has played just one Statewide Super League game, and Aaron Anderson have been added to the five-man extended interchange bench.
League
F: G. Turner, Middleton, Johnson
HF: Snelling, Beech, Schmidt
C: Willsmore, Fairlie, Waite
HB: L. Evans, Wasley-Black, J. Evans
B: Dunkin, Keough, Ryan

R: Parrella, Schiller, Noble
INT: K. Stevens, Anderson, Hill, Laube, Batley
IN: Laube, Johnson, Wllsmore, Anderson
OUT: B. Turner, Karpany

Reserves
Karpany, Hupfeld, Cleeland, B. Turner, Pillion, R. Stevens, Bates, Inglis, Kirk, Gallaway, Lynch, Majok, Caruso, Noonan, Osborn, Morish, Gutsche, Patterson, May, Moore, J. Bentley.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:36 pm

So two to drop out from that squad. For my money, pick any two from that half-back line.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by MR BLOODHOUND Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:56 pm

I agree Aldo . I would have Aron Anderson and Logan Hill on the half-back line.
MR BLOODHOUND
MR BLOODHOUND

Number of posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:21 pm

The 2 named on the half back flanks wouldn’t be in my side. I think both of them have struggled at league level. I think a player like Laube, young and skinny he maybe but the kid has talent and I think he should be given an extended opportunity in the league side.
I would definitely play Anderson he’s hard at it, and it’s something we badly lacked last week. He finished 6th in our B&F last year and yes he struggled in the trial games mainly due to injury. I think he should have been the league side all year.

Last edited by Lachlan on Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfman Jack Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:35 pm

I agree with you Aldo, Bloodhound & Lachlan.
The two half back flankers struggle at league level.
Ando has to be in the side. He gives us some grunt & always makes a contest.
Wolfman Jack
Wolfman Jack

Number of posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:50 am

Be aware that after years of sitting in the grandstand free, the northern (Westies) end of the Stand will know cost $5., unless you're a Westonian. If you don't pay,, you have to sit with the opposition fans at the other end.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:52 pm

A win is a win and a 37 point win is extremely pleasing.

BUT

The last quarter was very disappointing.

Congratulations to all involved.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:59 pm

We had no Bench in the last quarter.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by The Axis Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:24 pm

A very impressive win today. A bit flat in the last Qtr but game was dead and no rotations left.
The mindset was switched on from the opening and you always think can we sustain it for the whole game.? Well they did and I hope this gives the team some self belief that that can be very competitive. So good to get a win against that mob after 6 straight defeats since 2015. Can we see that effort every week please!
The Axis
The Axis

Number of posts : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:32 pm

The Axis wrote:A very impressive win today. A bit flat in the last Qtr but game was dead and no rotations left.
The mindset was switched on from the opening and you always think can we sustain it for the whole game.? Well they did and I hope this gives the team some self belief that that can be very competitive. So good to get a win against that mob after 6 straight defeats since 2015. Can we see that effort every week please!

Ditto. Fantastic effort. Entertaining. 18 goals, only 4 less than our opening 3 games combined. Well done to all players and the coaching staff. Great to see Ando back in action.
I took my 92 year old mother to the game, her first ever SANFL match. She joined in singing the club song.
A thoroughly enjoyable day.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:56 pm

A very good win today. We played attacking footy from the very first bounce. The players were were prepared to take risk all day and it paid off. We don’t have a tall forward line so we need to move the ball quickly.
I’m really hoping this game gives the players the self belief. It’s so very important we take this momentum into Wednesday against Glenelg.
I doubt Schiller,Hill and L.Evans will play.

I thought every player contributed today. Will Snelling, however was the stand out he played the complete game today. His ball use and decision making were first call.
Murray Waite played his best league game especially in the first 3qrts.
He burns the ball on occasions, but I like the way he was prepared to run with the ball.
Tom Keough is a class act and I hope he plays forward for most of the year.I guess that depends on the opposition and the fact we are small in defence with the injury to Levicki.
Jono Beech was all class as well and he was the best forward on the ground. He is so important to us every week.
John Noble this kid has the goods and he rarely plays a bad game, he was used in the midfield at times today and I think that was a good move.
I thought I.Johnson,Fairlie and Dunkin all young and new to league footy were very good contributed and they will gain significant confidence from the win.
Dallas Willsmore played his best game for the club, his move to half back was significant and his ball use was sound.
Kain Stevens was good all day as always.

With the injury to L.Evans I think young Laube should be given a chance he did some good things again in the ressies.

I watched the Ressies and it was great to see B.Turner after being dropped be BOG by a significant margin in my book.Karpany was also a solid contributed.

Let’s hope the players take this positive and aggressive attitude into the Glenelg game.

Well done it was a great win and the football we played was attacking and great to watch.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:59 pm

Great win. Great reserves win.

2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:33 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:We had no Bench in the last quarter.

Thanks for that Lee, i did not pick that up viewing on digital.

I apologies to the team and withdraw my remarks reference the last quarter

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next