Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Foxtel Cup 2014

3 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Foxtel Cup 2014 Empty Foxtel Cup 2014

Post by firstblood Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:28 pm

Looks like we are in it again...

West Adelaide will be given the chance to claim consecutive Foxtel Cups despite failing to qualify for this year’s SANFL Grand Final.

While league premier Norwood has been confirmed as the SANFL’s other contestant in the 2014 Foxtel Cup, the Bloods have been given direct entry after becoming the first SA-based team to win the national trophy this year.

‘’The SANFL thought it was fitting that this year’s Foxtel Cup champion, West Adelaide, be afforded the opportunity to defend its crown in 2014,’’ SANFL General Manager Football Chris Davies said.

In 2013, the two highest-ranked SANFL clubs from the previous season contested the Foxtel Cup but the Bloods will contest the Tuesday night competition after finishing third this year.

‘’Having won the Foxtel Cup it is always good to defend the title and see if you can go back-to-back,’’ West Adelaide General Manager Football John Kantilaftas said.

Kantilaftas said the opportunity to blood more of West’s promising juniors, coupled with the national media exposure, were also benefits of being involved in the Foxtel Cup.

‘’The possibility exists, that given it is during the week, the opportunity to expose younger players through the Foxtel Cup is always there,’’ Kantilaftas said.

‘’The exposure across Australia through Foxtel is always good for the club, particularly if you win or do well in the Foxtel Cup.’’

Norwood chief executive Geoff Baynes said the Redlegs were keen to be involved again after being bundled out in their first Foxtel Cup match against East Fremantle this year.

‘’The players are very keen to test themselves out on a national stage and this gives them the opportunity for that to occur,’’ said Baynes.

‘’They (players) see that opportunity to test themselves against sides they normally wouldn’t play as another good challenge.’’

Baynes said Norwood – which unearthed the likes of Pete Bampton and Orazio Fantasia in the Foxtel Cup - supported the concept of all matches being played on a Tuesday night.

‘’The Tuesdays are good, it is just the way the scheduling goes around it,’’ Baynes said.

It is expected that next year’s Foxtel Cup matches in South Australia will be played at the redeveloped Adelaide Oval.
firstblood
firstblood

Number of posts : 414
Job/hobbies : The light keeper

Back to top Go down

Foxtel Cup 2014 Empty Re: Foxtel Cup 2014

Post by Mark Beswick Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:32 pm

I think this is great news - Hope we can make the GF and get more $$$$ and success
Mark Beswick
Mark Beswick

Number of posts : 314

Back to top Go down

Post by Richmond Rocker Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:33 am

And the first SANFL club to play on the new Adelaide oval. Expect a massive crowd of at least 150.
I'll be on the mound to get kick the footy back.
Richmond Rocker

Number of posts : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Beswick Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:27 pm

I'll be there for one of my few ventires to the AO. Unless westies play there I wont be going
Mark Beswick
Mark Beswick

Number of posts : 314

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down