Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Annual Report

+9
Mark Beswick
PMSL
Oldfella
magnificent moose
aldo russian
Lee Harradine
Jamo
RODH2
wouldhe
13 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Annual Report Empty Annual Report

Post by wouldhe Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:11 am

Has anyone seen the annual report and begun a discussion around this?
wouldhe
wouldhe

Number of posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Annual Report Empty Re: Annual Report

Post by RODH2 Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:42 am

I have seen it, and combined with a Premiership and a cautious optimism "moving forward" (love that expression!) I was pretty satisfied....... Anything specific you want to raise, wouldhe?
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post by wouldhe Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:56 am

Im glad others have looked at the report. The first part around the premiership is magnificent and well done after a very long wait. Onfield success or any success in general tends to hide many of the things that need fixing or to be worked on. The financial aspect of the report is one of grave concern. As a supporter I know onfield is extremely important however off field finances are hindering the club. Once more a significant loss has been achieved even though a major cash injection was received by the club. Why isnt anyone pulling this apart and questioning what is happening? Onfield if the team is going poorly everyone jumps on the players.
wouldhe
wouldhe

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamo Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:11 pm

We won a Premiership and we going in the right direction. Lets look at the good side of things what have came from the past year and we know everyone involved will continue to work hard to put our best foot forward over the next coming years.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
RED BLACK 2015.
Jamo
Jamo

Number of posts : 189
Job/hobbies : Accounts Manager Timber Wholesale

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:20 pm

wouldhe. our significant cash injection has no effect on the club's profitability in 2014/15.

If you read the Notes to the Financial Statements, though, you'll see an enormous improvement in our position as a going concern.

In other words, if we hadn't had the Wolfpack Trust, we were cactus.

We're now very much heading in the right direction, despite our trading loss.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2181

Back to top Go down

Post by wouldhe Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:35 pm

Lee I appreciate the response. The cash injection has a part to play in the profitibility as it removed debts that were already on the books.
Its plain as day without the trust the club was cooked. The Tax liability from 2010-2015 is also hanging over the head of all working there. If that is not able to be removed by the ATO that will surely hurt more.

Revenue within the club from the function room has dropped significantly but so has the expenditure of that cost centre.

Being able to look at the numbers is a great thing for the members and supporters of the club.

wouldhe
wouldhe

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:49 pm

Indeed, and I'm happy to answer any questions here.

wouldhe, the reason the cash injection has no real effect on the profit is that while it cut interest costs, etc, we now pay a similar amount for rent to the Wolfpack Trust.

It roughly cancels out.

It's purpose was to inject cash to make the day to day operations possible, which it has done.

In my report, I state that the current operations were unsustainable. I'm pleased to say this financial year is starting to show the positive effects of the various decisions we have taken.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:31 pm

Given that the annual report is the historical record of the club's activities, it's really disappointing to see the poor quality of the report writing in it, with one or two exceptions. Players' names misspelt, multiple sentences that don't make sense....it makes us look very amateurish and is even more disappointing to see in a report about a rare premiership year. It's also easily fixed by getting someone to proof read the thing.
(I also wonder if the digital version couldn't be updated just before release, as a fair bit of the content is now well out of date.)
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1362

Back to top Go down

Post by magnificent moose Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:14 pm

Aldo - I went back and quickly scanned through the report again and yes, there are some grammatical errors etc., but overall I don't think the quality is as poor as you suggest.  Anyway, just my opinion.

Lee - my late father John (who played 50 games for the club) was an editor and this has led to me developing a personal interest in such matters.  I am happy to assist the club with proof reading if it is considered this will add value.
magnificent moose
magnificent moose

Number of posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:36 am

Martin - I can remember a Pfitzner playing back pocket for us in the late 60s I think. He wore a beard, was that John? (I thought there was an Eric Pfitzner?)
And we'll have to agree to disagree about the quality of some of the reports.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by magnificent moose Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:15 am

My dad did sport a beard - 1965 to 1967 he played. May have played in back pocket a bit but he predominantly played as a tap ruckman I think. My uncle Vic Pfitzner also played before him and played in the losing grand final against Port where we hit the post in the dying stages. Says we should never have lost that game, reckons a couple of really bad mistakes cost us goals in the last quarter. Not sure about Eric Pfitzner.
magnificent moose
magnificent moose

Number of posts : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:46 am

Martin

my recollection from time is story was that Neil asked/told John to get rid of beard but he then advised that he was a lay preacher hence the beard stayed ----- any truth to this tale.

I remember your dad playing and also welcome you to the site

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 1046
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:05 am

Thanks Martin,

I well remember John playing and can still picture him vividly.

Thanks for your offer re proof reading, I'll pass it on.

As for the quality of our Annual Reports, my opinion is that the layout and presentation is extremely good and professional and the reports should maintain that standard. It's my personal view only that there's a lot of work to do in that area and we shouldn't accept anything less than a good standard.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by PMSL Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:08 pm

Just a question regarding the Annual Report, in particular the highest game players.
It suggests that none of Mark Mickan, Ryan Ferguson or Clayton Lamb played any AFL Games.

Am I missing something here?
PMSL
PMSL

Number of posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Beswick Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:18 pm

PMSL wrote:Just a question regarding the Annual Report, in particular the highest game players.
It suggests that none of Mark Mickan, Ryan Ferguson or Clayton Lamb played any AFL Games.

No - my error on the transfer from excel to word - for some reason my database is not transferring records in full - : Will make sure it is fixed for future publications

Mickan should move up 3 places and read
MICKAN, Mark James 122 12 6 85 225

Lamb is missing 1 aFL Game - now fixed
LAMB, Clayton Andrew 145 30 4 1 180

FERGY = 0 AFL Games (Played VFL ONLY)
He did play 75 VFA/VFL games for 3 VFL clubs which isn't in these lists

let me know of other oversights/errors
cheers

Mark
Mark Beswick
Mark Beswick

Number of posts : 314

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Beswick Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:18 pm

PMSL wrote:Just a question regarding the Annual Report, in particular the highest game players.

No - my error on the transfer from excel to word - for some reason my database is not transferring records in full - :  Will make sure it is fixed for future publications

Mickan should move up 3 places and read
MICKAN, Mark James 122 12 6 85 225

Lamb is missing 1 AFL Game - now fixed
LAMB, Clayton Andrew 145 30 4 1 180

FERGY = 0 AFL Games (Played VFL ONLY)
He did play 75 VFA/VFL games for 3 VFL clubs which isn't in these lists

I had a setting wrong on the database! It had VFL not AFL or VFL and these missed had both AFL/VFL - I've now made sure the comp titles are the same from 1897-2015 so this should fix this next year.

THEREFORE I ALSO ADDED these AFL GAMES FOR THAT LIST >
Dion miles 8 games for Sydney Swans
Dean Howard 2 Games for  (No box to add his NAFC games but this is the case for other players like Pope...)
Ben Hollands 8 Games
Darren Carlson 25 games

let me know of other oversights/errors
cheers

Mark
Mark Beswick
Mark Beswick

Back to top Go down

Post by PMSL Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:25 am

Looks good.
Understand the technological issues there.

I think you might want to double check Ryan Fergusons records though. He absolutely played for Melbourne
PMSL
PMSL

Number of posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Beswick Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:38 am

Thanks PMSL - Poor form on my part - cant believe I missed his 47 games - Hope this is the only modern day player playing SANFL I have missed AFL games for - Keep a keen eye over the stats and let me know if I have any other errors

Thanks again
Mark Beswick
Mark Beswick

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:01 am

Mark, I haven't checked properly, but did Shannon Green play in 2008?
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Beswick Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:35 pm

Hi Mate

No Shannon played 2007 missed 2008 and then played 2009-2015
Mark Beswick
Mark Beswick

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:40 pm

aldo russian wrote:Given that the annual report is the historical record of the club's activities, it's really disappointing to see the poor quality of the report writing in it, with one or two exceptions. Players' names misspelt, multiple sentences that don't make sense....it makes us look very amateurish and is even more disappointing to see in a report about a rare premiership year. It's also easily fixed by getting someone to proof read the thing.
(I also wonder if the digital version couldn't be updated just before release, as a fair bit of the content is now well out of date.)

I have to agree with you Aldo, given my response is a little after yours, let me explain.

I have been a volunteer doing the stats for the last 11 years and about to start my 12th year and in this years annual report my initials are wrong, never before have they been wrong but they are this year.
My wife did ALL but 1 game last season (2015) but her name is not included, a former stats person did ONE game last year, the game my wife missed out on and his name is included.

I have sent the club 3 emails in the last two weeks enquiring about whether they have premiership pennants available for sale and the cost of these, if they are, but have not received one response so far. I have been a member for 38 years, I don't expect any better treatment than a first year member, but if that is the level of response from the club then I am just about finished, and how sad is that to hear after our fantastic premiership.
testy
testy

Number of posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:14 pm

That's not good to hear, testy.

I will take your concerns up personally and will report back here tomorrow.

You are a highly valued member and volunteer.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:20 pm

Testy knowing you and Heather personally,i find what i am reading very disappointing. The times i have gone to the footy, both of you have a big smile on your face and you can see you enjoy the role you both play at the club.To lose both of you would be a massive lose as you both are dependable and incredibly loyal Bloods members.
bundy
bundy

Number of posts : 460
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:42 pm

Well testy I got a phone call from the club asking if I'd rejoin as a member for 2016, which I did then and there on the phone by credit card. About 6-8 weeks later I got another call asking if I'd rejoin for 2016. I explained that I already had. A few weeks after that I got an SMS urging me to rejoin for 2016. I actually rang and checked that my membership had gone through the first time. It's a well-oiled machine in there.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:43 pm

Ditto Aldo, I'll follow it up.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down