Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

West v Glenelg

+2
Lachlan
aldo russian
6 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

West v Glenelg Empty West v Glenelg

Post by aldo russian Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:31 pm

We need a much better showing from our defence this week against the most potent forward line in the comp, plus a break-even performance in ruck, and an umpiring panel that doesn't include the grey-haired murderer from last week.
May is out suspended (again), and Sherlock should come in for him. (Ryan on McBean, Sherlock on Reynolds, Bock on Hosie? That might free up Minchella for use elsewhere.)
I would still push for Thackeray and Couroupis in lieu of Redfern and Nicholls.
On a side note, with Bramich now missing half the season, that's 5 ruckmen the club has lost in the last 8 months - Barnett, Steele, Marslen, Babic and Bramich.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1356

Back to top Go down

West v Glenelg Empty Re: West v Glenelg

Post by Lachlan Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:04 am

Aldo,

Looking at the team I think Minchella will play forward and pinch hit in the Ruck.
Good to see Thackeray get an opportunity.

I hope the conditions are wet tomorrow due to our lack of height.
It’s a major area of concern and to win games we need to find 3 KPP and another Ruckman.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:33 pm

Unfortunatley I don't think wet weather will help much. The ground was wet and heavy when we played them a few weeks ago and the Bays bigger bodies just brushed our kids aside.
Our boys will have a good crack at them though as they always do.
Can't ask for more than that. Just have to wait till they build bigger bodies a get in a few key players with some size.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:35 pm

Taaars,

Your spot on
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:25 pm

That's a mighty effort to half time. Our boys are working super hard.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:12 pm

Another honourable loss coming up
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 796

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:00 pm

The want for the contest can only take you so far.
We don’t have the ability to compete for the whole game.

The side we put on the park today was basically a seconds side.

You cannot fault the players commitment it’s been there all year.

Tom Morrish again best, he’s become a very very good player.

I understand he lacks a hard of pace, but I would like to see him
played in the midfield for a couple of games.
Kobe Ryan is fearless and Mattingly continues to impress
i thought Ned Stevens tried very hard in the Ruck

The same players continue to be our best players week in week out.
We rely on to few to do to much.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by BottleTop Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:13 pm

Lachlan wrote:
We rely on to few to do to much.

maybe if we used the voluntary reduction of  50 grand in the salary cap, maybe we'd  have a few more SANFL standard players to rely on.
BottleTop
BottleTop

Number of posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Sun Jul 23, 2023 9:39 am

I thought the players put in a fantastic effort yesterday. Their commitment to the contest against bigger bodies, in hard conditions, with little vocal support from supporters was terrific. They are clearly playing for the coach who is doing a bloody good job with a undermanned side.
As other posters have mentioned, the same players are our best each week, and the same ones fail to contribute, yet we're still in most games we play. That's our 8th loss by 19 points or less this year so yes they are just honourable losses but they're much more enjoyable to watch than the dishonourable ones we've seen over the last few years.
Worryingly, 5 of our forwards combined for a total of 12 kicks for the game. While we aren't getting enough forward 50 entries, too many of them don't have a way of winning the ball against an opponent.
I thought Kobe Ryan was again really good, his resilience is amazing, and Mattingly and Joel Stevens did a lot of good physical work. Ned Stevens did really well in ruck and Josh Ryan was again hard to beat. A couple of bad errors was the difference on the scoreboard.
I hope we maintain this intensity and get some more wins before the end of the year because the players deserve some reward for effort.
I thought it was noteworthy that umpire Bowen seemed reluctant to pay a free against us this week.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:17 am

We have lost our 4 games this month by margins of 10,6. 11 and 10 points. We were in front for most of this match but buckled to the intense pressure from the Tigers in the last half. Their efficient and ferocious tackling, teamwork under pressure and a helping hand from the umpires (28 frees to them/17 to us) sealed our fate. But to restrict the top team to one goal in the first half was commendable as our young backline were under enormous pressure. After last week Josh Ryan went for the spoil all day to great affect but it was an poor handball from him under pressure late in the last Q that saw the Bays hit the front.
The slippery ball and poor conditions made it more a game of chance and luck just didn’t fall our way. Best for us were K Ryan, Mattingly and Ned Stevens – 42 tackles between them! Park, Morrish and J Ryan also good and Thackery did well in his first game.
Well done to the boys for taking it up to the top team but, ultimately, a disappointing result. When I saw young Minchella go to McBean at the first bounce I knew it would be a tough match.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 254

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:46 pm

The rain helped us in the first half. We played a good half of footy in the conditions.
After half time the rain stopped and it was game over. Glenelg’s forward line got on top and they dominated and should have won by more. 10 scoring shots to 3 in the second half and we were goal less in the last quarter.
There has been a lot of improvement in several players this year but we are miles of competing for a finals spot. We are at least half a dozen players short of being a regular winning side.
We are equal last in the League.
Second bottom in the reserves.
Bottom by a long way in the under 18s…
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 796

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:53 am

blackandred wrote:Josh Ryan went for the spoil all day to great affect but it was an poor handball from him under pressure late in the last Q that saw the Bays hit the front.

Actually they were already in front at that point but that was the sealer.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down