Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should the SANFL become a summer comp?

3 posters

:: FORUM :: GENERAL CHAT

Go down

Should the SANFL become a summer comp? Empty Should the SANFL become a summer comp?

Post by TAAARS Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:40 am

Just thinking out of the square here. The SANFL as it is going is slowly dying. I can't compete with the AFL or should it have to.
Soccer moved its Premier League to the Summer for that reason and now has better crowds. Many are Footy tragic's that go there for a footy fix in summer. The AFWL likewise get many supporters that want their footy fix too.
Why not get them back to real footy/ and a good standard?
My suggestion would be start the season straight after the AFL ends ( could even start it a couple of weeks earlier as Crows and Port are not always in the finals anyway). Have a mid season break to skip the hottest part of the year and to accommodate holidays  from the weekend before Christmas to the beginning of February. Season would end late March. Games in the middle of the season would be all night games due heat (Dec & Feb). Still be 18 to 20 rounds long.
Advantages ... No real competition for supporters therefore more revenue, could get players also from WAFL,VFL etc like the Darwin League used to, and improve the standard. The mid season draft would be no more. The normal draft would still cause some uncertainty but we all know the kids that are going to be drafted. Junior footy stays as is in winter so the AFL still gets to look at them.Warm balmy nights to watch the games,sunny days. Very little wet weather footy so the game would be faster.
Disadvantages...none that I can think of. Sure the AFL will protest loudly as it will affect AFWL crowds and force the AFL reserves to go elsewhere, but hell isn't it time the SANFL looked after the SANFL and not go cap in hand to the almighty AFL all the time?
It is all about survival.

Last edited by TAAARS on Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Should the SANFL become a summer comp? Empty Re: Should the SANFL become a summer comp?

Post by Wolf Pack Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:26 pm

The SANFL is a winter sport and should remain that way.
The weather is too hot and summer is for cricket, and tennis.
Let the AFLW have this part of the year for their development.
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 796

Back to top Go down

Should the SANFL become a summer comp? Empty Re: Should the SANFL become a summer comp?

Post by aldo russian Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:02 pm

Yes it's an interesting idea Taars but I'd hate to see it change to a Summer comp. I think it would face more competition then rather than less, and I think the current scheduling is part of the fabric of the comp.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1356

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down