SANFL cowtow to afl

4 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

SANFL cowtow to afl Empty SANFL cowtow to afl

Post by Coolie Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:53 pm

Just heard the SANFL are introducing the afl man on the mark rule and allow the afl sub player in SANFL even if they have played that weekend.
Unless our reps grow ....s , our game will go down the toilet - just like the discrepancy in salary caps etc are impacting on our competition adopting the bastardized rules of the afl will lead us to a point of no return. Crowds are down now what do SANFL expect these new rules will accomplish
Coolie

Number of posts : 29

Back to top Go down

SANFL cowtow to afl Empty Re: SANFL cowtow to afl

Post by bruce cameron Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:06 pm

Coolie wrote:Just heard the SANFL are introducing the afl man on the mark rule and allow the afl sub player in SANFL even if they have played that weekend.
Unless our reps grow ....s , our game will go down the toilet  - just like the discrepancy in salary caps etc are impacting on our competition adopting the bastardized rules of the afl will lead us to a point of no return.  Crowds are down now what do SANFL expect these new rules will accomplish

I agree, Coolie.

If the SANFL is so keen to imitate the AFL, what about a system which allows the bottom team (us) to be rewarded for its mediocrity. ie We get first crack at any player who wants to sign up for the SANFL and/or an inter-club transfer formula which favours lower placed teams or even a graduated salary cap scale. Of course this would require some innovative thinking from those in charge of what is already a heavily compromised competition. If it's good enough for the AFL to maintain a system of checks and balances in an attempt to even out the competition, why can't the local governing body find a way.

The SANFL product is becoming less attractive each year. Add in our pathetic performances over the past three years and you have to ask yourself, why do I bother. It is painful to watch us play football at the moment, while low crowd numbers rob the game of atmosphere. AFL driven rule changes and the mid season draft/late pre season draft are incredibly unfair to the eight stand alone teams. I'm afraid that I've lost much of the enthusiasm I used to have. I now attend games out of a sense of duty rather than keen anticipation.

Maybe attendances at local games might improve if the SANFL took steps to make it a more attractive style of game, something which didn't look like a pale, pathetic imitation of the AFL product. It wouldn't be difficult to introduce changes which would generate higher scores and allow the more skillful players to showcase their talents. What's the worst that could happen? A quick death rather than a slow one. Maybe, the SANFL might earn some respect if they took on the monolithic AFL.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 272

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:42 pm

Good post bruce cameron...I try and watch AFL, but they give away 50M penalties for tripping over a blade of grass, pretty much done with that sort of thing. They have Corporatised Sport, and we are seeing the outcome. Excellent point about promoting the local product.
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 279

Back to top Go down

Post by Coolie Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:12 am

Wise words Bruce. The Advertiser today.... no further evidence needed to show that the power at least has successfully white-anted our competition. Least they admit that the changes support their AFL team play in the SANFL.
Would like to know how each SANFL club board rep voted on these changes or were they discussed over a coffee with the reps from the crows and power..
Coolie

Number of posts : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:11 am

If the clubs supported this, it surely must have been under duress (financial). Where are the decisions from the Commission that support only the original SANFL clubs, rather than the AFL clubs? Given the disparity in resources you'd think there'd be a slew of them.
It's time the clubs took back control of the SANFL. (And that members took back control of their clubs).
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1085

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum