Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Member election

+4
Oldfella
aldo russian
bruce cameron
Lee Harradine
8 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Member election Empty Member election

Post by Lee Harradine Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:54 am

The notice to members for the member elected position is usually out by now.

Does the new Constitution give the time for this?
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2180

Back to top Go down

Member election Empty Re: Member election

Post by bruce cameron Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:36 am

Lee Harradine wrote:The notice to members for the member elected position is usually out by now.

Does the new Constitution give the time for this?

If nominations close 28 days prior to the vote, (20.4.1) then the notice to members for the member elected position should be out very soon.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 379
Job/hobbies : Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:42 am

Thanks Bruce, it is an opportunity for a good long-standing member to represent us.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:34 am

Given that the majority of Board members are not member-elected, I think when a member-elected Board member leaves part-way through his or her term, that person should be replaced by another member-elected person, rather than yet another Board appointment. This might require a constitutional change, or it could just become adopted practice.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1356

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:15 am

aldo russian wrote:Given that the majority of Board members are not member-elected, I think when a member-elected Board member leaves part-way through his or her term, that person should be replaced by another member-elected person, rather than yet another Board appointment. This might require a constitutional change, or it could just become adopted practice.

Aldo,

Adopted practice is only good as long as a President supports it however if a future President chooses to legally ignore the adopted practice then he/she can therefore it really should be a Constitution change.

Secondly, the devil is in the details with Constitutional issues such as this --- just some example issues ----- does the position be offered to the first loser at the preceding member-elected board person vote or perhaps a requirement that the temporary board person be a life member or any other combination --- what happens if both member-elected board persons need replacement.

Just while we are discussing the member-elected board person should we be seeking a change to the Constitution that any person nominating for a member-elected board person or being appointed as a short term replacement must have been a financial member for a minimum of 6 years to avoid potential of Board Stacking ------ I feel strongly the answer is yes.

The present constitution contains the sections reference to setting up the initial Board etc and needs to be cleaned up at some stage HOWEVER IT IS MY READING OF THE CONSTITUTION AND MORE IMPORTANTLY STATE LEGISLATION THAT THIS NEEDS A MEMBERS VOTE AN CANNOT JUST BE DONE!!

There are many questions and adjustments that need to be raised about the Constitution and issues related ----- some examples

1. Members being advised on what committees the club has appointed or created.

What is the duties of said committees.

who are the appointed members of said committees.

Where is this information to be listed so openly available for Members perusal (obviously Club Website)
    Information on appropriate actions for "Vote of No Confidence" or other considerations

THIS REQUIREMENT NEEDS TO BE CLEARLY STATED IN THE CONSTITUTION IMO.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 1044
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:12 pm

Still no notice on the website.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Coolie Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:44 pm

Bit like the appointment of the CEO. Due process ?
Coolie

Number of posts : 64

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:56 am

For those that don’t get the emails

WEST ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB INC. & WEST ADELAIDE FOOTBALLERS’ CLUB INC.

ANNUAL GENERAL MEETINGS AND ELECTIONS

Wednesday, 12TH FEBRUARY, 2020

Notice is hereby given to all members that the Annual General Meetings of the West Adelaide Football Club Inc. followed by the West Adelaide Footballers Club Inc., will be held at 7.00pm at the West Adelaide Football Club, 57 Milner Road, Richmond.

In accordance with the Constitution, one Member Elected Director position will become vacant.

Nominations for the above position must be made on the official form which can be obtained with the Director Information Pack (available here). A nomination must be proposed and seconded by two (2) financial members of the Club and returned to the Chief Executive Officer by no later than 5pm Wednesday 15 January 2020. A ballot for the above position (if required) will be conducted at the Club between 5pm and 6.30pm.

A member wishing to bring forward any special business at the Annual General Meeting must give notice of such special business in writing to the Chief Executive Officer 28 clear days prior to the AGM (close of business January 15 2020).

Life Membership

Nominations for Life Membership are also now invited. To nominate, please use the form available here. Please direct all nominations to the West Adelaide Football Club via reception@westadelaidefc.com.au and ensure your nomination is received before 5:00pm January 15 2020).

Ben Hopkins

Chief Executive Officer
brodlach
brodlach

Number of posts : 442

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:12 pm

That's good. This is a chance for members to elect someone who is not appointed, as we were promised.

I hope a long-standing member & supporter nominates.

Given the latest appointed person is for membership, etc, it's not at all necessary for that person to be on the Board. She seems well suited for the membership position, but can continue to do that regardless.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:22 pm

I totally agree with you Lee. As members we need to elect a person (a) who wants to do the job and (b) who will have the members in their thoughts when making decisions. For all the Members who opposed the process of an appointed board this is the once a year vote/nomination that keeps us having a say in what happens within the club. If nobody nominates then we just roll over and say that everything is fine and end all conversation in regard to the board. I urge anybody that has a thought of going on to the board to nominate and let everyone know that they have nominated.
As Lee mentioned the last person on the board has been appointed by the board and not elected by the members and can still maintain the role that they are doing. The members still need to have a voice all be it once a year.
I repeat myself but this is the only chance we get for 12 months to have a say/make a difference

As always this is just my opinion.

GO THE BLOODS.
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:35 pm

Has anyone else, like me, not received that email?

Regarding the need to give 28 days written notice to raise an issue under special business, I think, on my reading of the Constitution, members can submit questions to the CEO up to a week out from the AGM, and they are required to be answered at the meeting.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1356

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:46 pm

I know that I was either President or on the Board when we agreed that 28 days was too long. As President, I made it clear members could bring up what they wanted with no advance notice at the AGM.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:00 pm

I’m guessing you’ll be sticking your hand up for the members elect spot Lee? Or do you think the club should move in a different direction?
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:10 pm

The Club has already been moved in a different direction...............
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:06 pm

RODH2 wrote:The Club has already been moved in a different direction...............
I was actually asking Lee, not ,,,,,,, (edited by Admin)
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:15 pm

I reckon Lee can answer for himself actually, I was just offering an opinion on a public forum, if that's O.K. with you brody, baby......! Neutral
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:34 pm

No, brodlach. I appreciate your strange continuing interest in me, but the club has refused all offers of help I've made, so I will be concentrating on writing my book. They've already moved in a different direction.

I would also remind you that trying to publicly identify posters is against site rules, unless you'd also like me to identify you.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:58 am

Not sure why my post was edited, I think everyone knows that.

Thought I’d ask a genuine question as a person who wants to be member elected require votes and seeing you were on the board I thought you might be putting your hand up again.

Anyone else think my question was “strange”? I’ll take it on board if they do, of course depending on who it comes from.

Not sure who “brody, baby” is RODH2?

Why are people so defensive?
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:28 am

Look up 'disingenuous', brodlach.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:02 am

Lee Harradine wrote:Look up 'disingenuous', brodlach.

I don’t need to, I know what it means.

You are wrong.
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:04 am

If you say so.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:03 am

For those of you who like me did not know what the actual definition of "disingenuous" is --- thank you both for this educational experience as I have heard the word used but only had a vague idea of its meaning

adjective: disingenuous
not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

"this journalist was being somewhat disingenuous as well as cynical"

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 1044
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down