Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BOOK

+6
TAAARS
RODH2
aldo russian
Mypaspective
Oldfella
Lee Harradine
10 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

BOOK Empty BOOK

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:47 pm

An update. As most know, I'm well into writing my book about the Club, from very early days, but focussing more on the last 30 years or so. Stories before that are very welcome, though.

I'm catching up with many people, had a lovely lunch with Chris Gasmier today (thanks Chris). The book will take some time, but I thought I'd give an occasional progress report.

So far, about 12,000 words and I'm writing up each season from 1987, up to the present. There will be players' biographies and stories about volunteers and club characters, club personalities and politics, players and coaches.

Any suggestions for a working title are welcome, as are any stories at all that readers might find interesting.

I'll be going to Byron Bay in October for the AFL 9's, and catching up with several old players - Symes, Mellor, Andriske, Barrett, Howard, Banik and many others. Should be a few stories there.

Hopefully it will be a good addition to the club's resources.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2180

Back to top Go down

BOOK Empty Re: BOOK

Post by Oldfella Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:11 pm

BAMBOO CURTAIN LOL

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 1044
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:07 am

Having lovely catch-ups with some good Bloods' supporters, lots of great stories and very enjoyable.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:47 am

Over 20,000 words now. Neil Kerley is catching up for a chat soon.

Writing up seasons in the early 90's now.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:53 am

You should speak to Kevin Morris re the late 80’s early 90’s Lee. He will give great insight as to what transpired in that period.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 372

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:17 pm

Thanks MP, quite so. I spoke to Kevin last year and will follow him up.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:43 am

I'm spending several hours each day writing through the seasons and reliving some great memories.

When you look back, there are some obvious themes about us as a club.

I'm interested in any views about our lack of consistent success, so feel free to post.

Also, any stories from supporters about their experiences watching the Bloods over the years would be welcome, even if by PM.

And why you love the Bloods?
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:44 pm

You may already be doing this Lee but it might be interesting to talk to players who played under each of our coaches, to see what differences come up and what common experiences come up. 
I think Dexter Kennedy would be an interesting chat. He played 13 seasons with us, was our best player and only State rep for many seasons, played in four wooden spoon years, and played only 5 finals matches. He played under Murray Weideman, who described him as the best palmer of the ball he'd seen, Bob Loveday, Bob Keddie, Fos Williams, Trevor Hughes and Kerley. 6 coaches in 13 years. We stopped him going to play for South Melbourne in the VFL and then he moves to Port the year we win a flag. I feel sorry for him and think it would be fascinating to hear his views on his career and the club.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1356

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:26 pm

Excellent suggestion, also and I'll follow it up with Dexter.

I'm finding more and more to cover as I go along, which pushes out the time it will be finished, but that's OK.

Hoping it will appeal to the 'rusted-on" loyal supporter & footy fans generally.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:01 pm

One that has always interested me but each time I speak to the person i forget to ask him, specifically.

Clayton Lamb -- club announces he is going to be Captain and a week (or 2) later he puts in to go to Glenelg --- very strange (can guess) and a very good footballer who is a Westies man to this day

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:08 pm

I'll try to find out, oldfella.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:06 pm

Had a good day, writing another 6,000 words!

Now up to 29,000 and loving it.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:02 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:Had a good day, writing another 6,000 words!

Now up to 29,000 and loving it.  

29K should cover Tim Symes mate time to write about someone else even though I agree Timmy should have his own book.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:49 pm

Had a great weekend, now up to 32,500 words.  Don't know how many will be needed, but there's lots of funny stories to tell.

I'd be interested to hear thoughts from supporters as to why we haven't been as successful as we should have been?

Writing and researching is certainly giving me a much needed boost about the club.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:00 am

Looks like this has gone past the stage of 'hoping to finish'.

I'm now at about 41,000 words and will be talking to Neil Kerley in the next week, Dexter Kennedy, Bob Loveday and others.

I've found some gold-dust articles from way back and read dozens of Annual Reports. The book is concentrating on the last 32 years, but will encompass much before that.

It's been hard, after 30 years full on, to suddenly feel like a stranger at the club and to the new Board, but writing has more than made up for it.

I think I'm just fed up with so little on-field success over so many years and I hope my research might help in a very small way to help change the culture to that of a winning football club. That's a hard road, but with my administrative time finished, it's one I'm determined to take.

At the very least, our traffic on the site has increased dramatically since the Club decided to get rid of our link, so at the very least it's hopefully entertaining.

Right, now for season 2000 Very Happy
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:54 am

aldo russian wrote:You may already be doing this Lee but it might be interesting to talk to players who played under each of our coaches, to see what differences come up and what common experiences come up. 
I think Dexter Kennedy would be an interesting chat. He played 13 seasons with us, was our best player and only State rep for many seasons, played in four wooden spoon years, and played only 5 finals matches. He played under Murray Weideman, who described him as the best palmer of the ball he'd seen, Bob Loveday, Bob Keddie, Fos Williams, Trevor Hughes and Kerley. 6 coaches in 13 years. We stopped him going to play for South Melbourne in the VFL and then he moves to Port the year we win a flag. I feel sorry for him and think it would be fascinating to hear his views on his career and the club.

I had a lovely catch-up with Dexter this morning, aldo, (with another poster friend).  We spoke about all his coaches and other things football.  Very interesting and will be covered in the book.  So far, it's turning into a lovely project, with new ideas opening up constantly, nice people to talk to and finding out all sorts of information about our club.

Currently 42,000 words, but it's not the quantity, it's the memories and the themes that run through our history.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:28 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:
I think I'm just fed up with so little on-field success over so many years and I hope my research might help in a very small way to help change the culture to that of a winning football club. That's a hard road, but with my administrative time finished, it's one I'm determined to take.Very Happy

Lee,

I have been reflecting on this question for many years and your recent post (above quoted) has caused me to refocus in over the last week or so.

I feel that for many years our focus and acceptance at all levels is to be satisfied if we just play finals or just miss out === to this end, for many many years we have recruited players who are good enough to make us competitive but not good enough on the big day and this is compounded by the acceptance of this mediocrity by supporters & management.

Even when several times we have gone down the road of a longer term rebuild (3-5 years) invariably it is lost within 2 years by the pressure from supporters/sponsors for more immediate success.

In my opinion at this moment the Club is in a critical period of a longer term rebuild with a very good Coach, a playing list that has several very good young players getting around that 50 game experience ------ what we lack is more quality top level players especially with hard bodies to protect and guide these youngsters --- our recruiting & loss of players is critical over the next two seasons.

We must be patient this time and not waste this opportunity.

My thoughts interested in hearing others.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:58 pm

Spoke with Neil Kerley for more than an hour today.

Obviously very interesting and a lot of fun and good memories.

Naturally, I loved every minute of it and lots for the book.

Now over 50,000 words, about half way, I'd guess.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:28 pm

Kerls wouldn't let the coronavirus stop him playing.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1356

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:16 pm

Well, the virus would be too scared to go there!! Very Happy :
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:43 am

An update, mainly so readers see something new on the site while we all isolate.

I've just ticked over 60,000 words. Of course, they're not just words, but a journey through the club's recent history. Have loved catching upo and talking to so many club identities - Dexter, Robert Day, Neil Kerley, Andrew Collins and many others.

Aiming at 90,000 words, but already thinking of a Volume 2, covering statistics, more funny stories and biographies, or an online resource.

What comes out of it is a confirmation that we have a great club with a wonderful history, one that must continue, so please support the Club's fundraising efforts.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:08 pm

Well done Lee, sounds like you are making great progress & will end up being not only a great read but an important record of the club’s history following the great Merv Agar’s “Bloods Sweat & Tears” book up to 1986incl.

Not only will the end result bring you great personal satisfaction but will bring considerable joy to both members & supporters of our great club.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:05 pm

Thanks MP.

I'm looking for some assistance with one question:

Who were the prime movers in calling us the Wolves for a time and changing to the vertical stripes? How long were we the Wolves?
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:50 pm

Was this around John Cahill time??
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:11 pm

Wasn't it under Bob Keddie we wore vertical stripes? I reckon we became the Wolves around that time also? Early 70's and just before Cahill.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next