Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

West vs Glenelg 24th April Round 5

+6
RODH2
Oldfella
Lee Harradine
aldo russian
bruce cameron
Thiele
10 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

West vs Glenelg 24th April Round 5 Empty West vs Glenelg 24th April Round 5

Post by Thiele Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:02 pm

Can we make it back to back wins
At least 3 changes

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 684

Back to top Go down

West vs Glenelg 24th April Round 5 Empty Re: West vs Glenelg 24th April Round 5

Post by bruce cameron Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:31 am

Thiele wrote:Can we make it back to back wins
At least 3 changes
Absolutely, as long as we play with the same intensity and overall structure/game plan which creates scoring opportunities. Our forward set up was much better against the Eagles and after re-watching the game via my Digital Pass I believe it can get much better as a few players develop a bit more composure and improve their decision making. Nevertheless, having twelve individual goal scorers and prominent marking targets within kicking distance was very pleasing. With the promotion of several Reserves players to the League team, we now have a nice blend of youth and experience. Why were we so lacklustre against Centrals?
Glenelg, along with Norwood and South are the in-form teams of the competition, so it will be a good test for us. The Eagles may not have been at the top of their game, but should have been desperate having lost their previous two. I believe Glenelg have only lost one game in their previous ten, and that was a narrow loss against Norwood in the opening round. Our confidence received a much needed boost last week, so it's vitally important to chalk up consecutive wins to maintain momentum and self-belief.
Go the Bloods
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 379
Job/hobbies : Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:28 am

The test will be to see if we can maintain our better disposal and forward structure under the increased pressure I expect we'll see from the Bays.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1393

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:12 am

aldo russian wrote:The test will be to see if we can maintain our better disposal and forward structure under the increased pressure I expect we'll see from the Bays.
Not long to wait to find out. Really looking forward to this.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:46 pm

https://westadelaidefc.com.au/news/west-adelaide-remembers-those-who-served-on-anzac-day-eve/

I will be also remembering my father, Alan, who served in the 2/48th Battalion at Tobruk, El Alamein, New Guinea and Tarakan (Borneo).

Son of a Life Member (Hall of Fame) and father of 2 sons Life Members and daughter recognised by the SANFL.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2211

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:44 pm

League – 7.20pm
WEST
West Adelaide will be without a consistent midfielder for its clash against Glenelg on Wednesday night.
Reliable on-baller Josh Schiller injured his shoulder against the Eagles on Good Friday and is yet to learn how long he will be on the sidelines in recovery mode.
It will be the first game Schiller has missed since the 2013 Preliminary Final, resulting in an end to his 98 successive Statewide Super League matches.
He has been joined by Lachlan Evans (hamstring) in being deemed unfit to face the Bays, with four players named as inclusions to the 23-man squad.
Utilities Brett Turner and Nathan Batley, goalsneak Ken Karpany and inexperienced Keelan Laube have all been named on the five-man extended interchange bench.

F: G. Turner, Middleton, Johnson
HF: Snelling, Beech, Schmidt
C: Willsmore, Fairlie, Waite
HB: Hill, Wasley-Black, J. Evans
B: Dunkin, Keough, Ryan

R: Parrella, K. Stevens, Noble
INT: B. Turner, Anderson, Karpany, Laube, Batley
IN: B. Turner, Batley, Karpany, Laube
OUT: Schiller (shoulder), L. Evans (hamstring)

GLENELG
Glenelg has lost an experienced defender for its contest against West on Wednesday night.
Former Carlton backman Aaron Joseph injured his hamstring against Sturt on Good Friday, ruling him out of action for at least two weeks.
Three players have been listed on the extended interchange as potential replacements, including clever half-forward Darcy Bailey.
Hamilton Kangaroos recruit Tom Feely has been listed for what could potentially be his first League game since Round 8 last year while Seb Kerrish (19, 186cm and 74kg) could make his Statewide Super League debut.

F: Hosie, McBean, Koster
HF: Close, Reynolds, Gregson
C: Betterman, Motlop, Scharenberg
HB: Nicholson, Curran, McCarthy
B: Bradley, Proud, Chalmers

R: White, Snook, Partington
INT: Agnew, Schott, Bailey, Feely, Kerrish
IN: Bailey, Feely, Kerrish
OUT: Joseph (hamstring)

Reserves – 4.50pm
WEST
Hupfeld, Cleeland, Pillion, R. Stevens, Inglis, Kirk, Gallaway, Lynch, Heitmann, Majok, Caruso, Noon, Osborn, Morrish, Gutsche, Fielke, Patterson, May, Moore, J. Bentley, G. Haysman.
GLENELG
Boyle, Carney, Davis, DiSotto, Gamble, Hoyoak, Jones, Kitschke, Liambis, Lovelock, Martini, McDermott, McRae, Potter, S. Schreiber, Slade, Thompson, Uebergang, Virgin, Yates.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:47 pm

Please note grandstand seats may be purchased from our merchandise stand for $5. Life members please show your card for free entry.

2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:26 pm

Thiele wrote:Please note grandstand seats may be purchased from our merchandise stand for $5. Life members please show your card for free entry.
Why didn't the club make this clear before the season started and why are we hearing about it through the forum rather than an official statement via email or the club website under news? How many supporters will know about this when they arrive tomorrow night?

If the club is serious about this then a half arsed approach is not going to work. The club needs to be quite clear about:
Is this to further develop an income stream or create an exclusive area for Life Members and Westonians?
Exactly who is required to pay (should a past player (and his mates) be entitled to free access?)
Until it becomes understood by all concerned, a person of some authority needs to be on duty. The chap who was on duty Friday disappeared after a while. I was stretching my legs near the steps and two people attempted to pay me. In the past we have had kids attempting to collect money. Many people brushed straight past.
Why are opposition supporters sitting in our stand free of charge? I noticed at Unley (2017?) they had a container for a $2 donation. At Alberton I was required to pay $5 to get out of the rain.
As far as I know it's always been $5, but over the years the club has been inconsistent in collecting it. The club has sold grandstand seating to those willing to pay, but made little attempt to enforce it.

bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:01 pm

I have no idea I copied it From the Clubs Facebook Pagr

2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:22 pm

Bruce,

Firstly the comment posted by Thiele was part of the clubs email to members.

I am a bit confused about this entire issue as i have been under the impression that for several years that seating in the northern section of the stand could be purchased as part of the membership or $5.00 per individual game --- know this is true because this is what my uncle does (members purchase seat) and has for several years.

I have not heard before about complementary seating for life members.

so i am not sure what the big deal is as to me nothing has changed from what has been in place for a fair while??

I do agree that the southern section of the stand should not be free for visiting club supporters and should (possibly is?) be charged at $5.00 too not free--- aside from visiting players and officials of course perhaps should be reserved for west adelaide members only like other grounds.

Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 1057
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:53 pm

Bruce,

I just reread my comments and they come over a bit terse which was not my intention as your comments are great and as normal right on the mark.

I have been mulling over who i feel the priorities for stand seating should be for and would like to throw some thoughts out for comment.

Overall the aim should be for the club to make money out of any activity!

Firstly, i feel that our and visiting players/official need to have an area of seating (think is SANFL requirement).

Secondly, I then feel members should be priority ---- Westonians as complimentary part of their membership & ordinary Members then get first option for season stand seating ticket including specific reserve seating. Any seats left should then be available for sale at $5.00

Of interest purely for discussion purposes is the lower center section of the stand reserved for members of the board and visiting dignitaries i have no problems with.

In terms of past players unless they are a life member then they can pay as basically they are no different to any other member ----- similarly where a Life Member or past player has a guest then they can pay for said guest unless it is their partner.

Discussing Life Members is difficult for me as i am one so could be seen as bias but whilst i have rarely sat in the stand more than a quarter during a game for many years i do feel that it is quite appropriate for the club and members to show respect for service by allowing them to sit free in the stand.

open for discussion by all

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:20 pm

Oldfella wrote:Bruce,

Firstly the comment posted by Thiele was part of the clubs email to members.

I am a bit confused about this entire issue as i have been under the impression that for several years that seating in the northern section of the stand could be purchased as part of the membership or $5.00 per individual game --- know this is true because this is what my uncle does (members purchase seat) and has for several years.

I have not heard before about complementary seating for life members.

so i am not sure what the big deal is as to me nothing has changed from what has been in place for a fair while??

I do agree that the southern section of the stand should not be free for visiting club supporters and should (possibly is?) be charged at $5.00 too not free--- aside from visiting players and officials of course perhaps should be reserved for west adelaide members only like other grounds.

Be aware that after years of sitting in the grandstand free, the northern (Westies) end of the Stand will know cost $5., unless you're a Westonian. If you don't pay,, you have to sit with the opposition fans at the other end. (Lee)

Please note grandstand seats may be purchased from our merchandise stand for $5. Life members please show your card for free entry. (Thiele)

Oldfella,
I did not receive an email from the club regarding this issue. If this information was posted on Facebook then I missed it as I don't use Facebook. The only mentions I have seen have been by Lee (last week) and Thiele (this week) They mentioned Life Members and Westonians receiving complimentary seating. I have no problem with this. Surely, the best way to communicate this information would be via the club's website and before the commencement of the season. In theory, anyone sitting in the stand should have purchased a reserved seat with their membership or be paying the $5 admission fee. I pay for a reserved seat each year, but realise I am surrounded by those who have not, including opposition supporters. Given that the only information available to me came via this forum, I took exception to the wording of Lee's post. It implied (probably not intentionally) that all supporters had been sitting in the stand for free and that it would now cost $5. As you rightfully point out, this has always been the case, however the club has been inconsistent in enforcing it. There have been attempts to collect the $5, but with only limited success. If the club is serious this time then communication needs to be better (If supporters don't read this forum or Facebook how would they know about this?) and it needs to be enforced. If Westies supporters are expected to pay to sit in the stand, then so should opposition supporters.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:29 pm

Didn't Members give up their voting rights , and therefore input, on matters of this type? Why would they be consulted?
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 373

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:33 pm

Bruce, I posted that early at the game to advise supporters as to the change. Given there was no notice, several regular supporters nearby in the northern part of the stand weren't happy.

They were told they could sit with the opposition supporters in the southern section free (as I understand it).

No problem with the central part being reserved for Westonians.

As long as people know the rules in advance, again, no problem.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:35 pm

I just reread my comments and they come over a bit terse which was not my intention as your comments are great and as normal right on the mark.

I have been mulling over who i feel the priorities for stand seating should be for and would like to throw some thoughts out for comment.

Overall the aim should be for the club to make money out of any activity!

Firstly, i feel that our and visiting players/official need to have an area of seating (think is SANFL requirement).

Secondly, I then feel members should be priority ---- Westonians as complimentary part of their membership & ordinary Members then get first option for season stand seating ticket including specific reserve seating. Any seats left should then be available for sale at $5.00

Of interest purely for discussion purposes is the lower center section of the stand reserved for members of the board and visiting dignitaries i have no problems with.

In terms of past players unless they are a life member then they can pay as basically they are no different to any other member ----- similarly where a Life Member or past player has a guest then they can pay for said guest unless it is their partner.

Discussing Life Members is difficult for me as i am one so could be seen as bias but whilst i have rarely sat in the stand more than a quarter during a game for many years i do feel that it is quite appropriate for the club and members to show respect for service by allowing them to sit free in the stand.

open for discussion by all

Sorry Oldfella, just posted before I realised you had reposted. Your comments make a lot of sense and just highlight the need for the club to develop a clear policy regarding this issue. This is probably why attempts to enforce this in recent times have failed. Signage at the stand entrances is required. Clear communication to all supporters/members. ie When buying a membership it needs to be made clear that if you don't reserve a seat you may be required to pay on the day. (a great option for those who only want shelter during inclement weather) This really should have been set up prior to the start of the season. Obviously, there are those servants/former servants of the club who should be entitled to free guaranteed seating, however they should be allocated some kind of a pass so that everyone entering the stand has paid their dues, financially or otherwise.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:42 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:Bruce, I posted that early at the game to advise supporters as to the change. Given there was no notice, several regular supporters nearby in the northern part of the stand weren't happy.

They were told they could sit with the opposition supporters in the southern section free (as I understand it).

No problem with the central part being reserved for Westonians.

As long as people know the rules in advance, again, no problem.

Thanks for the response. It was really my point that there was no prior warning by the club. I have no issue with servants of the club getting priority seating, however your post and Thiele's mentioned Life members and Westonians which could be interpreted as bestowing some kind of exclusivity on the northern end of the stand. It was good of you to provide this information, but the club's handling of this has been 'half arsed'.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:44 pm

Life Members game pass identifies them as Life Members and i think players and official also do the same but good point my friend ---- I think we can put this to rest for now and get back to game.

While i always expect to win i do feel tomorrows game will be difficult against a form team and with the loss of two very good players -- i wont be there but will watch on digital pass

WESTIES BY 2 GOALS

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:46 pm

Thanks Bruce, it was very confusing to everyone.

I agree with you and am sure the Club will clarify it quickly.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:54 pm

Bruce,

Sorry but one last thing

The email Thiele and i are discussing was that sent to members who have registered for email advice of the team selection where the comment reference stand seating was included.

You said you did not get email --- Question have you as a member rang club and registered for email advice of team selection and other club news.

If you have registered or need to register then contact club noting new front counter hour  (Telephone: (08) 8352 4022 -- Reception Opening Hours; Monday – Friday 11am to 3pm) or speak to them at game --- i am absolutely positive that they will sort out for you.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:46 am

Sorry but one last thing

The email Thiele and i are discussing was that sent to members who have registered for email advice of the team selection where the comment reference stand seating was included.

You said you did not get email --- Question have you as a member rang club and registered for email advice of team selection and other club news.

If you have registered or need to register then contact club noting new front counter hour  (Telephone: (08) 8352 4022 -- Reception Opening Hours; Monday – Friday 11am to 3pm) or speak to them at game --- i am absolutely positive that they will sort out for you.

Good morning Oldfella,
Yes, I do get emails regarding team selection and have gone back and checked last week's, but can find no mention of stand seating. Curiouser and curiouser. I'll follow up with reception. Thanks.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:32 pm

Well, we played some really good footy in the first quarter, they locked the game down in the 2nd and then they took the game away from us in the second half. Despite what the stats say, it looked to me like we rarely won a stoppage after half time. They scored far too easily from a couple of stoppages in their forward 50, with our mids struggling to make an impact and our ruckman not seeming to know where to hit the ball when he won the tap. A couple of times he had uncontested taps and still couldn't put it to advantage.

I thought Noble was our best across 4 quarters, Waite was creative again with his burst of pace and Snelling got enough of it. Ryan also kept McBean very quiet. But a lot of senior players made a lot of poor mistakes. Stevens needs to do something about his kicking.

Another losing last quarter raises the question about our pre-season preparation. More importantly though I reckon we're still a few players short. Laube is a flanker or winger, not a third tall defender (and neither is Lachie Evans), and in an ideal world Keough would have gone back there to stiffen us up, which would leave us short a mid and a marking forward. Another tall at each end (one of whom can ruck) and another A grade mid and we'd be around the mark I think. Can't fault the players' effort though, they went at it very hard tonight.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1393

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:45 pm

A very frustrating night at the footy!!
I agree with Aldo with our backline. We were under siege in the last quarter and were horribly undersized. I think that with Levicki out for a while, Keough has to play back.
We need more from our big men.
Parella did not take a mark in the game and Middleton didn’t touch the footy in the first half. He did kick two after half time but 4 disposals in a game is not good enough.
And finally, yet again our club cannot get the catering right.
BBQ closed at half time and coffee stand was closed completely.
We are the only club in the comp that stuffs this up.
It can’t be that difficult 😡

Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 814

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:19 pm

Aldo I agree with you assessment of the game.

I think we should have been further in front at 1/4 time,it was our last kick going forward that was the problem. We had more inside 50’s then Glenelg but we didn’t have enough forwards contributing.

We lost Fairlie to concussion after 1/4 time which meant Keough moved into the midfield and Wasley-Black went forward with little impact.

We simply don’t have enough quality Key Position Players and we will struggle until this problem is rectified.

Snelling I though was best, followed by Noble and Ryan who easily beat McBean.
Mason Middleton needs to lift he has struggled most of the year, he needs to get to more contests.

We play South Saturday week and they are a tall side and We don’t have any Key Position Players in the ressies to promote to the league side.

We are certainly competitive, however we cannot sustain our effort longer enough in games and that’s comes down to personnel.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 1038

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:04 am

We really only won one Q on the night. We did well to hold the Bays to 2 goals at half time but our ferocious tackling was starting to take it’s toll on players like Stevens and Snelling who were doing the bulk of the work.
The Bays kicked 8 goals in the last half to our 3. They should have won the game in the 3Q but for poor kicking. By this point we were forced into error, fumbling and poor decisions from increasing Bay pressure. As their tackling intensified our pressure eased off. A crucial turnover on the half back flank in the last Q let the Bays in and the game was gone.
Our fitness is a problem as were run over in the last Q as we have been in every game so far. Could not fault the endeavour of the team all night. It was a tough and tight game and we fought it out to the end.
Snelling and Stevens were terrific as were Noble and Waite although they all faded as the game wore on. For a full 4Q effort our best player was Parella. While there is still room for improvement (he’s only 21!) he won the ruck all night and did his job well.
Laube looks to be a natural league player and made a good fist of a tough challenge down back.
The Ressies had another impressive win. 11.13 to 7.3. Batley had plenty of touches.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 267

Back to top Go down

Post by cuban Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:06 am

Very frustrating again!
After last week and the first quarter yesterday I thought we had our game plan sorted.
Then we went back to the old crappy defensive style and of course got beaten.
There is a pattern here that I think is so obvious and I'm sure I'm not the only person that sees it. When we play fast attacking footy - we kick goals. When we start kicking backwards and sideways - especially in defence - we almost always turn the ball over and get goals kicked against us. It happens so consistently it drives me crazy!
We need to concentrate our better players in attack and kick quickly to them always - without hesitation! Keough needs to stay forward - he belongs there at all times - no going to defence or to the middle. With Beech and Middleton they are making a very potent attack.
Our defence is holding well enough. They are fighting hard and I think are doing a great job back there.
If we constantly attack and kick goals it means our opposition won't be - look at the first half of the first quarter. I don't care if we leak a few goals as long as we are kicking more!
Glenelg did not have a spare defender so there was no reason not to kick that ball forward as far and as quickly as possible and trust our tall forwards to win their share of the one on ones - especially when you have fast and elusive players like Gibson to help out. Instead we were looking for the "safe" option and kick sideways and backwards to unmarked players - oops, turnover and easy goal (or lucky point) to the bays. Dammit, I was so pissed off watching that crap!
As I said last week, our ruck needs work. Parella wins his taps but too many times it does not go to our advantage. It's annoying seeing the Glenelg ruckman tap straight to his player and they are off but Parella taps almost always straight down to nobody and it's hit and miss. Will and Kane are making him look good at the moment. If they can sort this out we could be almost unstoppable out of the middle!
I'm not going to noarlunger next week - I need a break from this frustration.
cuban
cuban

Number of posts : 23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next