Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bloods v Panthers match report

+6
Mypaspective
LukeO9
Wolf Pack
Lee Harradine
Lachlan
blackandred
10 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Bloods v Panthers match report Empty Bloods v Panthers match report

Post by blackandred Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:03 pm

No excuses for Westies today. They were beaten by a better prepared, more physical and more mentally stronger team. Final score was South 13.9 to West 9.10.

While we lost Chris Schmidt due to a prior commitment South were decimated by injuries and a number of inexperienced players were promoted to senior level. In addition, South lost a couple of players to, what seemed serious injuries, during the game.

West were second to the ball all day, we played from behind, kicked poorly for goal and turned the ball over far too often. South had a couple of key forwards who could take a strong mark and kick goals – Eddy, Haren and Overall kicked as many goals between them than we managed from our whole team. We relied too much on our small forwards like Fielke (5) and Green (2) but we struggled to take an overhead mark in our forward line all day. We went inside 50 48 times for a paltry return of 9.10. Far too often we went to the pockets making it difficult to score. South went inside 50 37 times for 13.9 – they were much more efficient and just more skilful with their use of the ball. Most of the kicks we had were under pressure.

We had far too many passengers. Middleton, Klemke, Wasley-Black, Haysman and even Jonno Beech couldn’t make any impact on the game. Eddy (5.3) gave Keough a lesson but, in fairness, the delivery to him was pretty good.

Schiller, Porplyzia and Silverlock were our best players and Fielke with his 5 goals was terrific. Caire and Stevens tried hard all day. Willets with 39 hit outs was pretty good against the 198cm and 100kg Bass.

South took 40 more marks than us. They seemed bigger than us all over the ground. They played last week whereas we had a rest. They deserved their win. Maybe we’ll play them in the elimination final so we have some deep thinking to do if that eventuates.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 254

Back to top Go down

Bloods v Panthers match report Empty Re: Bloods v Panthers match report

Post by Lachlan Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:36 pm

B&R

Your summary is spot on.

South are a very well coached and disciplined side that really showed us how to play today

We were exposed in defence today and we are one key defender short.
The recruiting panel will need to find a key defender next year.

Our small forwards in Fielke and Green have been fantastic this year however
we have lacked a key marking target all year and this was really shown up today.
For the first time this year we started with 2 key forwards in Middleton and Klemke.
They were both well beaten with Klemke moving into defence.

I think we were beaten in the midfield today.

Willits played his best game for the year and was high in our best players

The next 2 weeks will shape our season and so far we have struggled against the other sides
In the 5.

South had a number of players out due to injury and I really thought we would win today.
We went into the game with only Schmidt and Francis missing. It was our worst performance for the year
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:06 pm

Agree with both B & R and lachlan. South deserved their win and we were poor.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2180

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:09 pm

We were Piss Weak!!!!
Forget the top 3, we will be playing South in the Elimination final.
We will be lucky to win another game this year!!!!
Lack of structure, effort and intensity.
Overall our second half of the season has been ordinary.
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 796

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:30 pm

You are right Lachlan.
South have a huge injury list.
We were pretty much full strength. Only Schmidt missing.
Our effort against the best teams this year is weak.
Maybe we just aren't very good.....
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:41 am

Random thoughts.

1. Very embarrassing day for both the league and the reserves.
2. I thought we were in trouble early when Porps fumbled everything in the first quarter.
3. Mickan needs to take control of the rucks in the league and reserves and teach them hit zones to our advantage.
4. How Eddy is not on a AFL list is beyond me. All class with elite kicking skills.
5. Well done to Fielkes, Bonner, Harts and Caire. Thought the rest were very average.
6. Won the hitouts and the clearances and then burnt the ball badly.
7. Bonner can already kick better than 90% of our team.
8. Good to see Webby take a couple of good marks in the reserves.
9. Today we should have been fine tuning our team for the finals. What we got was a rethink of everything.
10. Some hard calls are needed if we are to go anywhere in 2015. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:53 am

What hard calls would you make and who would you bring in?
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:40 am

I thought efficiency was the difference between the sides.
If not for just 3 good chances at marks only <30m out missed, and 2 "head clutching" shots at goal, who knows....
I didn't see many under-performers (or endeavors I should say). The team did look a little lost without their usual feed from Schmidt.
I am still quietly confident of winning one, if not both of the next 2 games.
LukeO9
LukeO9

Number of posts : 151

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:18 am

I thought South used a lot of short kicks to slow the play down and decrease our chances of quick movement and they did that well, finding their targets most times. We only had about 60 marks and tended to play safe along the boundary, instead of our usual 'more risky', but more rewarding corridor footy.

Ryan Willits won the rucks and we won clearances, but our run and disposal was poor and we again lacked a big marking forward to take pressure of Fielke and Green, who again kicked most of our score.

It's hard to work out how much mental preparation was a factor, too. South had a lot of players out and our boys seemed to be a long way short of their best, with several players having possibly their worst game of the season,.

South's better players were very good, while ours were well down. How we finished less than 4 goals down was surprising, given the way the game went.

Aaron Fielke was excellent again and you can't ask more of a small forward than to kick 5 goals and Josh Schiller was again good, but it was difficult to find many good players after that.

So the question is; do we treat that game as an aberration and make only minimal changes, or do we see bigger problems and make several? If several, do we have better players to come in?

Schmitty is an obvious important 'in', is Webby match ready, ditto Brad Helbig and does Nick Homburg's good Reserves form make him ready?

Two really important games coming up and we'll respond.

Good post, Luke09.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:35 pm

I wasn't there yesterday due to illness but by all reports it was a poor performance. We don't need wholesale changes. Sides have off days.

Frustratingly I read a post which forces me to respond.

Wolf Pack how can u say "our effort against the best teams this year is weak". Short memory!!! I think the results prove we have been pretty competitive. Not weak as u state.

Eagles: won by 6 & lost by 15
Norwood: lost by 6 (should have at least drawn but for a really gutless umpiring decision) & next week ??
South: won by 1 & lost by 23
Port: lost by 50 (strongest AFL listed side they have fielded this yr)

Sure we must improve on yesterday's effort to give ourselves a chance in the finals but if u go back 3 months would u have honestly expected us to be where we are on the ladder?????? The lads have been really good this year overall.

Good to see Webby back on the park.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 372

Back to top Go down

Post by mailman Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:58 pm

i know we were not kicked of the park yesterday but i thought we could have changed our forward structure. we have used middleton in ruck on previous occasions as was not much of a influence yesterday as a forward. so it would let me see how hardy would play as a tall forward instead as a stop gap ruck.not that he has not played that role well when needed. i know how well our small forwards are doing but i think you need a tall up there as well.i also think that we had a few of our really good and consitent players having a off day. the way we were out played yesterday the westies of old would of lost by a lot larger margin.so credit to the playing group on the way they play out games.a little disappointed that b side did not win as they had a better side for a change and winning a game is good for those players as well as the club.
mailman
mailman

Number of posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:13 pm

Mypaspective-
If you don't win it counts for nothing.
We won 6 of our first seven and have won four games since.
I hope I'm wrong but I can't see us winning another game this season.
Yesterday we were smashed and the scoreboard flattered us. The Eagles smashed us last time, remember they were 10 goals up at 3 qtr time. Port smashed us too. What year did we last beat Norwood????
Most of our wins have been against ordinary teams this year.
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:55 pm

I guess the difference between our views WP is obvious.

It is 3/4 time & u have given up but I still have a belief we can win.

Only the next few weeks will determine who is right.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 372

Back to top Go down

Post by beaglex Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:39 am

Wolf Pack wrote:We were Piss Weak!!!!
Forget the top 3, we will be playing South in the Elimination final.
We will be lucky to win another game this year!!!!
Lack of structure, effort and intensity.
Overall our second half of the season has been ordinary.

Not sure we were Piss Weak Wolf Pack as we had more 11 more inside 50's but our efficiency was woeful!

Agree I do think that if we play like we did against South though we will not win another game this year!

My thoughts on the game are;

We were out coached!
South were far more skillful!
South out ran us!
We turned over too much!
beaglex
beaglex

Number of posts : 49

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:49 am

Ok, maybe Piss Weak was a bit harsh Smile
I expect to see a better performance on Saturday against Norwood.
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by fencesitter Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:18 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:I thought South used a lot of short kicks to slow the play down and decrease our chances of quick movement and they did that well, finding their targets most times.  We only had about 60 marks and tended to play safe along the boundary, instead of our usual 'more risky', but more rewarding corridor footy.

Ryan Willits won the rucks and we won clearances, but our run and disposal was poor and we again lacked a big marking forward to take pressure of Fielke and Green, who again kicked most of our score.

It's hard to work out how much mental preparation was a factor, too.  South had a lot of players out and our boys seemed to be a long way short of their best, with several players having possibly their worst game of the season,.

South's better players were very good, while ours were well down.  How we finished less than 4 goals down was surprising, given the way the game went.

Aaron Fielke was excellent again and you can't ask more of a small forward than to kick 5 goals and Josh Schiller was again good, but it was difficult to find many good players after that.

So the question is; do we treat that game as an aberration and make only minimal changes, or do we see bigger problems and make several?  If several, do we have better players to come in?

Schmitty is an obvious important 'in', is Webby match ready, ditto Brad Helbig and does Nick Homburg's good Reserves form make him ready?

Two really important games coming up and we'll respond.

Good post, Luke09.
Willits tap work was poor, hit the ball far to hard which ended up being beneficial to the South midfield. He offers nothing around the ground, Nelson offers far more IMO at least big Pete can push forward and kick a goal. Webb should be parked up for next year, Helbig I'd bring in as his physicality will be needed against Norwood. I seriously cant see Homburg coming in especially against Norwood, he just burns the ball and panics when in possession. Middleton needs to work alot harder to get into position, he just gives up far to easily, mind you the delivery by the mids was insipid. Schmidt's leadership is required no question.
fencesitter
fencesitter

Number of posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:31 pm

If you think we need to play Helbig against Norwood for his physicality, perhaps the selectors took this into account in assessing Riley Bonner, who came in last week for Chris Schmidt, who's back.

Bear in mind also that we have named 23, so 2 won't play.

Agree that Riley is an excellent kick and has a big future.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfman Jack Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:26 pm

Is Riley's future with Westies or the AFL?
Wolfman Jack
Wolfman Jack

Number of posts : 107
Job/hobbies : Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:55 pm

WJ, Riley is just about a certainty to be drafted and quite possibly in the top 20.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by fencesitter Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:00 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:If you think we need to play Helbig against Norwood for his physicality, perhaps the selectors took this into account in assessing Riley Bonner, who came in last week for Chris Schmidt, who's back.

Bear in mind also that we have named 23, so 2 won't play.

Agree that Riley is an excellent kick and has a big future.
I would have kept Bonner and got rid of Klemke who I dont rate at all. I reckon he had 5 possessions last week, he cant kick, has zero speed and limited flexibility to play different positions. Question marks on Haysman also, he looks tired and needs a rest.
fencesitter
fencesitter

Number of posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:37 pm

Fair enough, fencesitter.

Ben Klemke had no pre-season at all, due to recovery from a shoulder op, so his fitness is affected by that.

I think he did really well in his first two games and has a good future as he settles in.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfman Jack Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:05 pm

I agree with you Lee, I thought Klemke was ok in his first two games & I think next season with a full pre season under his belt we will see the best of him.
However he did struggle against South but he wasn't on his own. But a good point from fencesitter that I hadn't considered, it would have been a good move to play Bonner in his place this week.
Wolfman Jack
Wolfman Jack

Number of posts : 107
Job/hobbies : Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down