Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bloods v Panthers match report

+9
Lee Harradine
Mark Beswick
LukeO9
Lachlan
Mypaspective
TAAARS
Thiele
Bloodntars
blackandred
13 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Bloods v Panthers match report Empty Bloods v Panthers match report

Post by blackandred Fri May 29, 2015 11:07 pm

South Adelaide were in front for all but 2 minutes of the game tonight at Richmond oval. They outplayed Westies for most of the game and their fierce tackling closed us down in a tight defensive contest. They had more forward system and a couple of big men in attack who could take a grab and kick goals. In Brad Crabb they had the best player on the ground. He turned us away time after time and dominated their backline. Sadly for South (but good for us) they lost the game.

Westies failed to kick a goal in the first Q, had only kicked one goal at half time and, at the start of the last Q we only had 2 goals on the board. This is the team that had kicked 49 goals in our last 2 games! We were dropping marks, kicking out on the full, fumbling, turning the ball over in what was a comedy of errors for the first 3 Qs. The umpiring was sub standard with South getting twice the frees we did.

Whatever Mark Mickan said at 3Q time must have done the trick. We booted 5 goals in the last Q and when Jonno Beech kicked a goal off the ground with a minute to go we hit the front for the first time since the first minute of the game. But the game still had one final twist. Brett Eddy took a grab in the NE pocked about 50m out from goal with 29.53 on the clock and the siren sounded. His kick drifted to the wrong side of the goal post for them but the behind meant we had stolen the game, winning by one point.

The tough, close, defensive style employed by South had worn them down physically and when the game opened up in the last Q we were able to find gaps in their defence but not without some controversy. Caire was awarded a free down the ground for holding and the umpires must have deliberated for 3 minutes before allowing him to take the kick from 50 and he made no mistake. Ezard played on from a mark and drilled another bomb that could have been touched on the line by a number of players but the goal umpire was certain and signalled a goal.

We’ll take the 2 points because we never gave up. We only played one Q of footy that looked half way decent but it was enough to win the game. We had kept South to only 6 goals in 3Qs and this proved crucial in the end. It was a dreadful match to watch but in the cold hard light of day we remain undefeated at home this year, we are 6/1 after round 7, have registered a win against a team that finished third last year and we should go to the top of the premiership table for around 20 hours – and won’t that be nice.

Keogh had a wonderful battle with Eddy. He might have conceded a few goals (3.3) to the South spearhead but he played a great game. Wasley-Black was courageous and put his body on the line time and again. Silverlock Stevens and Schmidt picked up heaps of possessions but we really didn’t have a lot of good players. Tuck was missing in action for the bulk of the game, Hartlett took a few marks but dropped many more despite getting his hands to the ball, our rucks were ineffective, Porplyzia and Beech were quiet and Middleton couldn’t work himself into the game. With Fielke well held our forwards were shut down and starved of marking opportunities with most of our goals coming from well out.

Unlike last game we missed the clearance work of Snelling and Haysman who would have been useful in the slippery conditions.The free kick count favoured South 26 to 17.

Final score WA 7.11 to SA 7.10.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 253

Back to top Go down

Bloods v Panthers match report Empty Re: Bloods v Panthers match report

Post by Bloodntars Fri May 29, 2015 11:27 pm

The game changed when Tuck was moved into the middle in the last quarter. Staggered he spent the first 3 qtrs across half forward.

Thought Wasley-Black was our best. Very impressive and has a great left foot.
Bloodntars
Bloodntars

Number of posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Fri May 29, 2015 11:27 pm

Great fight back by the boys. Used our get of jail free card. Cant believe we are 6-1

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 667

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS Sat May 30, 2015 2:11 am

Can't agree they dominated the game overall. Way I saw it they held sway for the first 15minutes then we did until 1/2 time,though couldn't finish off for a goal at any price.
They dominated the 3rd quarter and we won the last. Worse game I have watched in a long time and worst umpiring I've ever seen. Reckon a couple of them are headed to the reserves (or lower) next week,if they are allowed out at all. Reckon Tom Keough was our best along with Chris Schmidt. The rest thought we still had the bye.
We should be charged with grand theft.
Stuff it we will take the win anyway. We will need to improve greatly by next week or it will be ugly.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Sat May 30, 2015 8:36 am

Yes we did steal the game but wasn't it fantastic to see the character & belief in this team.

South came with a plan to play an ANDY Collins style of game & suffocate our attacking free running style.

It worked for a long period but like us in the Collins era that type of game can very taxing on the body & when we started to open the game up & take them on they started to wilt under our pressure. Remember a game at Prospect a few years ago when we held sway for most of the game & got run over in the last stanza. I do & there were similarities last night.

These type of games will happen & we are not going to win all of them but this years attitude & resilience by the team is inspirational & should be applauded.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 372

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 30, 2015 8:47 am

Random thoughts.

1. Lets never talk about how we kicked 49 goals in 2 matches ever again.
2. At three quarter time I thought that Collins had come back to coach.
3. Bring back Hardy. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Sat May 30, 2015 8:59 am

I agree about Hardy. He has now kicked 6,4,6&6 in the Twos., some in losing games.

His strong marking & accurate kicking will enhance our forward structure as long as the smaller forwards are under every contest to ensure any balls that come off hands are not run out too easily. I still see that as his only weakness but hey he has earnt his spot through consistency.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Sat May 30, 2015 9:20 am

We stole the win no doubt about it.
However to kick 5 goals in the last quarter is a fantastic effort.
Agree South played an Andy Collins style of game and we struggled
to cope with it. We seemed reluctant to move the ball quickly into our forward line especially the last kick which resulted in many shallow entries.

I thought Stevens again was very good as was Keough. Daniel Caire was also back to his best and his ball use was very good.

Hardy in next week for sure.

Not sure how long we can continue to use Tuck as a key forward. When moved into the midfield in the last qrt he changed the game.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 1022

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 Sat May 30, 2015 11:54 am

Nice report B&R.
Hard to determine what went on in the first half due to the umpiring (missing Hartlett being held and a blatant throw was stunning), but I thought West were better and only inaccuracy and umpiring had them behind. 3rd wasn't good (remember Homburg's run in goal...NOT!).
The play in the 4th was great. Believing they could win all quarter. Their fitness this year, both physically and mentally is very pleasing.
LukeO9
LukeO9

Number of posts : 151

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Beswick Sat May 30, 2015 12:44 pm

Daniel Caire was given BOG - One of the best rebounding games I have seen from Daniel -
Erin-Wasley Black 2nd Best - How about that handball in the 4th Qtr - WOW
Chris Schmidt 3rd Best (or was he 2nd - I could have this wrong?) - Great effort after being one of the big ball winners in the State game just 5 days earlier

Adam Hartlett got the award for most courageous act on the night

In the Magoos I think Hardy got 3rd Best and Ben Klemke was BOG. The beer from last nights celebration has clouded my memory for the other best player given.

Don't underestimate how much run was taken from the game and travel to Perth last weekend - 5 players fronting up off a 5 day break from W.A would have contributed to a slower start and us looking a little flat at times -

Great win and games like that build belief - Go Bloods
Mark Beswick
Mark Beswick

Number of posts : 314

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat May 30, 2015 3:46 pm

Great reports everyone, thanks.

ST, thanks for the laughs bringing up Collins again.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2174

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Sat May 30, 2015 6:19 pm

In fairness to ST Lee I brought up ANDY Collins game style first in my post.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Sat May 30, 2015 7:36 pm

Not a classic game to watch but we were never out of being a chance to win, at 3qtr time we were less than 5 goals down and all the stats showed we had just as much of the ball as South but poor decisions reflected the 5 goal difference.

Having a belief in our own ability by our boys in the last quarter led to a last minute win and setting up a much awaited battle with the redlegs next Sunday. Get along for what should be a great game and support the boys as loud as you can.

One player that did impress me in the 2s was Brett Turner, he took some good marks and kicked a couple of Goals and looked to me as though he wasn't far of playing league footy

testy
testy

Number of posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy Sun May 31, 2015 11:15 am

Being an early game will see you there.Usual spot Dits.
bundy
bundy

Number of posts : 460
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Sun May 31, 2015 11:44 am

bundy wrote:Being an early game will see you there.Usual spot Dits.

Early game?? It's on Sunday @ Norwood 2:10 PM... some of your old mates will be meeting in front of the scoreboard. Very Happy
firstblood
firstblood

Number of posts : 414
Job/hobbies : The light keeper

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy Sun May 31, 2015 1:01 pm

Bugger read it wrong.Looked at calender nothing planned bowls wise,so see ya then.
bundy
bundy

Number of posts : 460
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls

Back to top Go down

Post by Coorong Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:05 pm

Will be in front of Grandstand with my Grandson for the Port game on 13th
Coorong
Coorong

Number of posts : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:31 pm

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 667

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down