Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The sad decline of a footy club -why?

3 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

The sad decline of a footy club -why? Empty The sad decline of a footy club -why?

Post by Lee Harradine Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:21 am

4 wooden spoons, declining membership, declining attendances, declining financial results, why does this happen?

It needs discussion, so here's a start.

Who knows why, so this is for discussion and suggestions for improvement.

The Club - previously elected 100% by members, now mainly selected by a Nominations Committee. I don't even know who the new Chairman of that is and I'm not sure it was ever announced?  Some accountant or solicitor? Does anyone know?

Success or failure?

More to follow.

Last edited by Lee Harradine on Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2181

Back to top Go down

The sad decline of a footy club -why? Empty Re: The sad decline of a footy club -why?

Post by Lee Harradine Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:25 am

Communication to members.

I asked the Finance Director some specific questions.  He asked why I was fixated on the kitchen profitability.  He ignored my figures showing a loss and said the kitchen was making a profit because the patrons liked the food!

He then said he'd refuse to engage with me.

So, what do you think of the club's communication?

Last edited by Lee Harradine on Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

The sad decline of a footy club -why? Empty Re: The sad decline of a footy club -why?

Post by Lee Harradine Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:27 am

Members' suggestions

Do you think suggestions or questions by members are met with genuine interest? Or do you think the wagons are circled and the answers are spin and cliches?
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:30 am

Do you think long serving members with concerns are welcomed, or do you think they're regarded as 'negative' or 'troublemakers', even though they're lifetime supporters?

I know of several members who have contacted the club with concerns and been fobbed off.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:32 am

Do you think that a Board with such an appalling record over the past four years should consider their position?

It's a business Board, as evidenced by the voluntary cap on our salary cap, but any business Board with their record wouldn't survive.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:36 am

The power at Westues has always been with a non-elected group and it's becoming more and more incestuous and narrow.

They regard Westies as 'their' club.  There's only room for 'Yes' men and women and anyone who queries our direction is easily vilified and verbalised. This is 'Stronger Together' in action.

'United in our pursuit of premiership success', but we'll ask Harts to coach 20% behind the other teams.

Last edited by Lee Harradine on Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:40 am

I'll look at the appalling record of the Nominations Committee later.  Meanwhile, I'm continuing to write a book on our history, which many of us have lived and breathed for decades.  

Despite the inevitable hostile reaction from the power brokers, our situation needs to be addressed like this.  

It's not about individuals, it's about love of a club and a lifetime of support and bleeding for the cause by so many of us.

Before it's too late.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:08 am

The perfect member, in this Board's eyes, is someone who pays for their membership, goes to all our games, eats and drinks at the club regularly, doesn't want any say in the running of their club, doesn't want any communication from any section of the club and doesn't think anyone on the Board is responsible for the state of the club on and off field.
That's a very small demographic.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1362

Back to top Go down

Post by Bottle Top Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:23 am

the most damning indictment of this board is the voluntary reduction of the salary cap.
coming off 4 consecutive spoons and most likely to add a fifth this year, the club decides to cut spending on the footy team... I shake my head in disbelief.

I think I'm just about done with this club, my money could be better spent elsewhere.
Bottle Top
Bottle Top

Number of posts : 90

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:59 am

aldo russian wrote:The perfect member, in this Board's eyes, is someone who pays for their membership, goes to all our games, eats and drinks at the club regularly, doesn't want any say in the running of their club, doesn't want any communication from any section of the club and doesn't think anyone on the Board is responsible for the state of the club on and off field.
That's a very small demographic.

Just reminds me of when I offered help on the finance front to our Finance Director (given I'd been the previous Finance Director for 5 years).

His reply -

The assistance we need from all Members is to sign up new members, patronise the Club, attend functions and where possible, introduce new potential sponsors.

Pretty much as you say, aldo.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down