Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vale Andrew Gribble

+4
Lee Harradine
aldo russian
Lachlan
Wolfman Jack
8 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Vale Andrew Gribble Empty Vale Andrew Gribble

Post by Wolfman Jack Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:11 am

Sad news.
Past player Andrew Gribble has passed away at the age of 53 after battling cancer.
Andrew was a very good player with quick hands & he played in our 1991 grand final side.
Taken way too young. Condolences to his family.
RIP Andrew.
Wolfman Jack
Wolfman Jack

Number of posts : 107
Job/hobbies : Retired

Back to top Go down

Vale Andrew Gribble Empty Re: Vale Andrew Gribble

Post by Lachlan Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:14 am

Far to young. A very good player.
RIP ANDREW
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:02 pm

I've been watching the 1991 finals series on youtube recently which features Andrew. His son is also a very good player apparently.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1356

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:54 am

Has the Club put anything up about Andrew's passing?

We all remember him as a valuable and good player and he was a good man to be with in the rooms.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2180

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfman Jack Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:43 pm

Still nothing from the Club regarding Andrew’s death.
I find this disappointing.
Wolfman Jack
Wolfman Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:56 pm

Yes, Andrew was a fine player for a few seasons for us (including the 1991 GF, from memory) and was a really nice bloke.

I hope the club gets around to recognising him as a valued past player, if they haven't already done so.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:47 pm

From Facebook Past Players and Officials site - have raised with club Lee.

The Committee, players, members and supporters of the Geelong West Giants Football and Netball Club, extend our deepest sympathies to the family and friends of club great Andrew Gribble, who passed away on the weekend, after battling melanoma.
Andy played 100 games for St. Peter’s and Geelong West-St. Peters, winning two Best and Fairest awards. He is often mentioned in discussions about the best of the best GFL footballers.
Andy also gave many volunteer hours to the club, particularly in the area of junior development and coaching. His children Tom, Molly and Noah also played footy and netball for West, with Tom also winning a senior Best and Fairest in 2013.
We are all deeply saddened by Andy’s passing. He fought his battle with cancer in an incredibly stoic, gracious and good-humoured manner. He didn’t focus on his pain, but instead on the wellbeing of his family.
Our hearts go out to Sharon, Tom, Molly and Noah, to Andy’s parents, Ian and Maureen and to his siblings Karen and Roger and their families.
Andy’s passing has also left Lorraine and the Sells family devastated. He was a wonderful son and brother in-law and uncle.
A great man taken from us way too soon.
Rest in Peace, Gribbs.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 1044
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by bloodsaint Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:00 am

Gribbs was a good man.
Taken far too young.
Unfortunately for Gribbs he missed the 91 GF. Was close to BOG in the Prelim, but hurt his knee late and missed the GF.

I was playing U/17's at the time he came over and we had mutual friends and while he was trying to make a name for himself here, both he and Sharon went out of their way to take an interest in how I was going.

He was also a brilliant basketballer.

Disappointing the club, from what Ive seen hasnt acknowledged his passing.
bloodsaint
bloodsaint

Number of posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:31 am

Well said, bloodsaint, nice to read more about Andrew.

He was a very good player, but also a really good man.

The club not acknowledging his passing is unforgivable.

Perhaps with so many new people, they didn't know of him.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:36 am

bloodsaint wrote:Gribbs was a good man.
Taken far too young.
Unfortunately for Gribbs he missed the 91 GF.  Was close to BOG in the Prelim, but hurt his knee late and missed the GF.

I was playing U/17's at the time he came over and we had mutual friends and while he was trying to make a name for himself here, both he and Sharon went out of their way to take an interest in how I was going.

Bloodsaint
I recently sent an email to the club and received the following response:

Hi Bruce,

We are aware of Andrew’s passing but have made the decision not to post anything publicly. We do not make public announcements about every single past player or official that passes away for a variety of reasons. In this case we have expressed our condolences privately in a manner that we deemed appropriate.

Regards,

Ben Hopkins

Chief Executive Officer

West Adelaide Football Club

P: 08 8352 4022

M: 0439 789 931
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 379

Back to top Go down

Post by bloodsaint Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:47 am

bruce cameron wrote:
Taken far too young.
Unfortunately for Gribbs he missed the 91 GF.  Was close to BOG in the Prelim, but hurt his knee late and missed the GF.

Bloodsaint

Hi Bruce,

We are aware of Andrew’s passing but have made the decision not to post anything publicly. We do not make public announcements about every single past player or official that passes away for a variety of reasons. In this case we have expressed our condolences privately in a manner that we deemed appropriate.

Regards,

Ben Hopkins

Chief Executive Officer

Thanks Bruce

Understand the response to some degree.  But where do they draw the line on what contribution the player or official made to the club?
I would think everyone who has played league footy for the club has made some sort of contribution to the history of Westies and should be recognised.
bloodsaint
bloodsaint

Number of posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:42 am

You're correct, bloodsaint.

I hope the Club realises that differentiating between players like this is a slippery slope and potentially insulting to the family and friends of players who have passed away.

We have very often worn black armbands to recognise even relatives of past players and officials.

Perhaps it would help if when a past player dies, the management consulted those at the club with a good knowledge of our history to advise at such times. Perhaps they did, but Andrew was a notable player for us. I shared his time at Westies and pay tribute to him as a player and a man.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolfman Jack Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:50 am

I too emailed the Club weeks ago & received the following reply:

“Thanks for checking, we were aware of Andrew’s passing. Just checking on some details around his time at WAFC and will have something out paying tribute to him this week.
53 is very young.
Thanks again for letting us know.

Regards,

Ben Hopkins
Chief Executive Officer
M: 0439 789 931”

For reasons known only to the Club, it appears that they changed their mind. They could have at least put something on Facebook.
Andrew’s contribution should be acknowledged.
I think that it is very poor form, very poor public relations with the members & the Club should hang it’s head in shame.
Wolfman Jack
Wolfman Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:59 am

Agree. Very poor by the club IMHO.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:52 pm

bloodsaint wrote:
bruce cameron wrote:
Taken far too young.

Bloodsaint

Hi Bruce,

Regards,

Ben Hopkins

Chief Executive Officer

Thanks Bruce

Understand the response to some degree.  But where do they draw the line on what contribution the player or official made to the club?
I would think everyone who has played league footy for the club has made some sort of contribution to the history of Westies and should be recognised.

I must admit, I was disappointed in the decision  and am now mystified as to why the club changed its mind after indicating (to WJ) that there would be something posted on the website.  Expressing condolences privately is well and good, but doesn't explain why something wasn't posted on the website or Facebook. If I wasn't a member of this forum, I probably would not have heard about Andrew's passing.   I think members/supporters are entitled to know and as Lee points out, differentiating between players like this is a slippery slope.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 379

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:37 pm

And since when do we not acknowledge the passing of every League player? And why not?
Regardless of the circumstances of someone's death, surely the fact of it can be acknowledged? Isn't this one of the club's traditions?
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1356

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:32 am

I have been pondering this situation and thought i would share my thoughts.

Clearly from Bruce's correspondence the club had a policy of only posting player who had played a certain amount of games  --- Wolfmans correspondence seems to indicate a possible change of direction which is supported by the recent club announcement of the late "Joe" Humphreys https://westadelaidefc.com.au/news/vale-lyn-edward-humphrey/

If I am correct in my assumptions then, whilst noting the pain this has sadly caused, I am pleased that it seems the Club has reviewed this matter in response to Members concerns and should be recognized for this if true!

I believe that whilst the club cannot recognize the passing of every Member etc I do feel the following is a reasonable approach.

The Club will recognize on the website and Facebook the passing of the following:

1. Any Player who played League Football for West Adelaide.
  2. Life Members.
  3. Past Officials or Volunteers that gave service to the Club or football Program.
  4. Other Football Officials external to the Club main that is considered appropriate (example =Barmera Monash Football Clubs President, Peter Morelli).

I see the wearing of "Black Arm Bands" as an issue separate to this discussion as it reflext a combination of Members, Players and Officials desire within the Football Program and working environment.

I feel the above is a fair balance but would welcome others ccoments.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 1044
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:56 am

It's good that the Club has recognised Joe's passing. We all remember him fondly.

oldfella,

I am pleased that it seems the Club has reviewed this matter in response to Members concerns and should be recognized for this if true!

That's great if so, but have I missed where they have done that?
where has the Club
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down