Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

West V South

+12
Bottle Top
aldo russian
Wolf Pack
bundy
Lee Harradine
bruce cameron
Lachlan
redblack32
MR BLOODHOUND
Oldfella
TAAARS
Thiele
16 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

West V South - Page 2 Empty Re: West V South

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:27 pm

I think Gavin's first year was pretty good and a big improvement. That didn't continue, especially with the loss of Snelling and Noble mid last year.

This year has been very didappointing.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2180

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:13 pm

I think the combination of our poor performances and the lack of communication from the Board/Administration is fuelling a lot of concern. Maybe I haven't seen it but has there been any expression of disappointment from the club, any statement that these results aren't acceptable (as empty a comment as that is), any pledge to rectify the situation with an outline of how? Because in the absence of the above it's easy to conclude that people don't care enough.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1356

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:49 pm

I think you are spot on Aldo. There is absolutely no indication those in a position to do something about the situation either care or know how.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:39 pm

'We need to take away Members voting rights so that an appointed Board of non West Adelaide people can take us forward into the future' Since then, abject failure and crickets.
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:41 pm

aldo russian wrote:I think the combination of our poor performances and the lack of communication from the Board/Administration is fuelling a lot of concern. Maybe I haven't seen it but has there been any expression of disappointment from the club, any statement that these results aren't acceptable (as empty a comment as that is), any pledge to rectify the situation with an outline of how? Because in the absence of the above it's easy to conclude that people don't care enough.

I agree 100%. The disregard for members is shameful. I posted the following comments after the Centrals game.

'The absence of hope will eventually kill off many supporters' willingness to turn up week after week. I agree with what most posters are saying about our on field performances. Since 2015 they have progressively been getting poorer. It is frustrating and embarrassing, yet the board's lack of communication towards club members is even more alarming. During tough times, like we are experiencing now, good communication is crucial. Without on field success, members/supporters need to feel valued. I raised this issue at the last AGM. Murray wrote the following in his letter to members last May.'

It is my intention to publish a President’s Message as soon as possible after each formal board meeting is held. This will provide you with certainty about the timing of when you can expect updates on the activities of the board. Formal board meetings are held on the last Monday of every month, with the most recent one having occurred on Monday 27th May.

Your directors are currently formulating plans and strategies for each of these key areas of the club:
Members and Sponsors.
Finance Management.
The Oval Precinct.
The Clubrooms and Venue Precinct.
Governance, People and Culture.
Football.
These areas are discussed at length in our board meetings

'Since this promise, there have only been 5 reports. (4 written/1 video) There should have been 14. Furthermore, the letters to members which were posted contained very little detail.
In his most recent post, Murray made the following statement:'

I can assure you that the Board of Directors is not sitting idle. We are, along with our CEO, continuing to uncover and explore more ways of keeping the club alive. The energy and dedication on display at the Board meeting held by video hook-up on Monday 30th March was an inspiration.

'Unfortunately, I don't feel inspired or hopeful.

I think communication could be greatly improved by:

Making sure that each and every board meeting's discussions are reported to members.

Rather than Murray write the summary, have each of the directors report on their particular area of responsibility - this would provide members with a more complete picture.

Directors mingling with the punters on the terraces. Let us know that you are there and care about what happens on the field.'

In a recent interview https://indaily.com.au/sport/football/2020/08/28/local-footys-fight-for-survival/ Murray praised our members

Our members have been superb with their support this year, ... We are so lucky so many did not ask for refunds on their membership.

So, why weren't members praised for this personally. It would be nice to feel as though we are valued - at least some consolation for our current predicament. Members are entitled to be kept informed and reassured that the club is taking steps to rectify this shameful situation. We need to feel hopeful that 2021 will be a much better year for us.

I'm glad Murray believes that our members have been superb - it is about the only aspect of the club which has been.

bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 379
Job/hobbies : Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:30 pm

Thanks, Bruce, more eloquent than me!
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:54 am

One example of how taken for granted members are. At the beginning of the pandemic when the club was shut down it asked for donations to help keep it afloat ( so did other clubs on memory).
I sent in a cheque (I'm old school and like cheques) with a note attached simply saying donation.
My name is printed on the cheque so would not have  taken a lot of effort to work out where it came from since I am a member. Did I receive any acknowledgment that it was even received? Not a thing.
While I am not looking for warm air being blown up my jumper a simple email or txt saying thanks for your donation would have been nice. Yes it got cashed in case you are wondering.
Can't help thinking if it was Centrals who were also asking for donations, the response would have been totally different. Would I bother again? Maybe because I am a sucker for my club but I would have to think about it. No wonder we have a measly 1300 members.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:21 am

Lets hope those who are new at the club and don't have any West Adelaide background at all will come to understand and value the contribution of those who have.

I was interested in a quote by Rohan Connolly, talking about Essendon but it applies to all football clubs.  It is

OK, I'll just say this as well. When you push away a sizeable contingent of people (on & off field) who know a club back-to-front and helped provide its heartbeat for decades, it's not overly surprising the price you pay if you don't reap on-field results is a loss of identity.

I've brought this up now because a wonderful West Adelaide person, Kevin 'Skinny' Joseph, will be calling his last home game as our chief Statistician against the Eagles next game.  Decades of service. His role has been consumed by technology and his health hasn't been good. I'll be sharing a drink with him after the game, but I hope his service is recognised. I raise it because there are probably very few in positions of influence left who even know Kevin or his service.

Finally, I'm planning the book launch for the end of next month or thereabouts. I asked the Venue Manager to contact me with availability dates  two weeks ago. Haven't heard anything yet, but I'll try again.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:14 pm

[quote="Lee Harradine"]
I've brought this up now because a wonderful West Adelaide person, Kevin 'Skinny' Joseph, will be calling his last home game as our chief Statistician against the Eagles next game.  Decades of service. His role has been consumed by technology and his health hasn't been good. I'll be sharing a drink with him after the game, but I hope his service is recognized. I raise it because there are probably very few in positions of influence left who even know Kevin or his service.

Thanks for raising "Skinny's service Lee. He has been the ultimate professional over the last 28 or so years and as far as i am aware has not missed a game. This has come at a great sacrifice as I know he has missed out on many family functions and holidays as he has family members interstate that he has not gone to see during football season.
We will also share a drink with him remember the good time (2015) and the bad times (all the other years).

So Skinny, Thank you.

As Always
GO THE BLOODS
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:35 pm

The Venue Manager contacted me re the Book Launch, thank you.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:30 pm

Gavin's write-up of the South game.

The hurt comes through and he's well aware of the disappointment.

A tale of two halves on Friday night. For the most of the first half we were disciplined, competed well and looked reasonably potent when moving the ball quickly through the middle of the ground and inside F50. After our match against Glenelg we wanted to ensure we were not easily transitioned from our forward line and for the most part this worked. Within a goal at the 20min mark of the second term, errors started to creep into our game, our one take and tackling in contested ball dropped and we were beaten on spread. This was disappointing because we had been so competitive prior to this. Trailing by 14 points at half time we came out very poorly. Two quick goals to the opposition and our heads dropped. What followed was too familiar. We lost potency at stoppages, our forwards went ball hunting rather than staying with structure, which allowed easy marks by defenders staying deep. We were then transitioned on the open side. Inevitably we looked fatigue and unable to keep up, however, this is can in part be attributed to the fact that we are desperately chasing all over the ground. The simple matter is this- if you lose stoppages, contested ball and don’t keep structure- the tide will go against you. And despite your best efforts to chase, you are doing this from a really poor defensive position and will have limited impact. Stemming the tide when we lose momentum is a challenge we have had for a long time. We will again try to work through this with our structures this week.

I am acutely aware of the disappointment and frustration for our supporter base. I will continue to own these results and ask the players to do the same. This is a young group who are for the most part giving their all and displaying qualities required for League football. We know we are not doing this for long enough however.

Isaac Johnson had a great game at half forward and again earnt his goals on the back of elite work rate. Tom Keough was great in contested ball and Josh Ryan again accounted for his opponent. Youngsters Sam May and Lachie Squire displayed strong contest and composure in our backline whilst Hamish Ellem was the best of the tall forwards. Again, having three first year players stand up in a tough game, was a pleasing outcome.

[/i]
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum: