Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

President’s Report

+12
Coolie
bruce cameron
Oldfella
mikeme
aldo russian
Lee Harradine
blackandred
Mockingjay
RODH2
blood bath
Thiele
Lachlan
16 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

President’s Report Empty President’s Report

Post by Lachlan Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:41 am

Isn’t it time for another President’s Report we have seen one for a while.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

President’s Report Empty Re: President’s Report

Post by Thiele Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:11 pm

Lachlan wrote:Isn’t it time for another President’s Report we have seen one for a while.
Might get one after tomorrow night

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post by blood bath Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:23 am

President’s Message to Members and Supporters – October 2019
https://westadelaidefc.com.au/news/presidents-message-3/

It’s been two months since I wrote my last message, and it makes me realise just how busy the last couple of months have been. There have been some significant events in that period, including:

signing a two year extension of Senior Coach Gavin Colville’s coaching contract,
appointing Mark Moody as Head Coach of the SANFLW side for 2020,
a very successful and well-attended Best and Fairest Player Awards night,
renovation of the Hisense lounge wall and the TAB facility,
distribution of fliers throughout the local area to promote our licenced venue,
a sponsor appreciation dinner, held at Kaffana’s restaurant, which was attended by more than forty businesses who support our club,
approval to receive funding from SANFL to develop a Performance Management Framework to assist with keeping the Board and Staff accountable for achieving their key performance indicators,
finalisation of the Board’s three year strategic plan,
presenting our financial and strategic plans to the SANFL Finance, Audit and Risk Committee,
appointment of a new Board member to fill the recent casual vacancy,
formation of a new Nominations Committee. The committee is currently seeking applications for the role of Football Director,
on-going discussions with the West Torrens City Council about possible venue and oval precinct upgrades,
holding high-profile, community events at the club, including the Australian Lacrosse Association national under 15 championships and Adelaide Football League amateur finals.
The finalisation of the Board’s three year strategic plan now provides a framework for the future, setting and formalising the pillars of the club. These are:

Football

People

Community and Fans

Financial

Assets

Commercial

Each pillar has a set of objectives, goals (key performance indicators), strategies and tactics for which Board members are responsible. The Performance Management Framework system will assist Directors as they strive towards achieving the goals that underpin each pillar. Directors are required to provide regular reporting at Board meetings about their progress.

On the 17th of September the club Finance Committee made a formal presentation to the SANFL Finance, Audit and Risk Committee, setting out our expected trading results for the financial year ended 31st October 2019 and the budget for the 2020 financial year, along with a three year planning document. We reported that 2019 has been a difficult year, with an expected reduction on last year’s result, caused in part by many extraordinary and unforeseen expenses. We advised that we are budgeting in 2020 for a lift in statutory profit but that we will continue to need the assistance and support of SANFL as we implement the changes necessary to return to sustainable cashflow. Generating enough positive cashflow to meet all the club’s obligations continues to be a challenge, but the Board and management of the club have a clear plan to turn things around. In particular, we believe there are many opportunities for improvement in the way that the licenced venue operates. In preparing next year’s budget, we built in an assumption that we would return to a full salary cap, have an extra allowance for transfer fees, as well as allowing for full-time employment of the Senior Coach. We received a very encouraging reception from SANFL and expect to hear the results of their deliberations in the next few weeks. They understood that the Board had already made many changes to the operations of the club and that positive financial results will follow in due course.

I’m very pleased to announce the appointment of Marteine Edwards to the casual vacancy on the Board. Her tenure is until the February 2020 Annual General Meeting, so she will be working very hard to come to grips with her portfolio in that short time. The Board appointed her in the capacity of Membership and Marketing Director, as we believe that this is an area of the club where more focus and resource is needed, especially as we review our membership strategies for next season in line with our target for growth in member numbers. Marteine is highly skilled and experienced in the role, and I know she will make a difference to our club. In the meantime, the portfolio of Oval Precinct Director has been absorbed into the activities of the staff, and our CEO Ben Hopkins is currently overseeing this role.

The footy season is over for 2019. But there are many tasks ahead as we prepare for next year. We are deep into recruiting discussions and salary cap modelling, as well as making sure we have the right support staff available. You’ll notice on our website that we are seeking expressions of interest for support staff, and that we are advertising the position of Football Director which will become vacant at the Annual General Meeting in February next year. Don’t forget to check our club facebook page regularly, as it is a great platform for keeping us all involved in the day to day activities of the club. I look forward to reading your posts.

Go Bloods.

Murray Forbes

President
blood bath
blood bath

Number of posts : 79

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:19 am

So we finished bottom, and we have REVERSED the improving Financial position of the last 2 years?!?!
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post by Mockingjay Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:01 am

RODH2 wrote:So we finished bottom, and we have REVERSED the improving Financial position of the last 2 years?!?!

Seems like that is the case, RODH2. I know that Murray is doing his best, but it isn't good enough. He is good with words but unfortunately he is only spelling out projects and achievements that past Boards have also done quite successfully. He is not offering anything new. If I am not mistaken, the reason given for causing the upheaval at the Club late last year was to make the Club more profitable. Where, I ask, is the evidence of that improvement?
I am further concerned about the timing of the appointment of the replacement Board member. Although I have nothing against the person appointed, who I don't think is known to many of us, I have doubts about the timing of the appointment. Murray's choice of words makes it clear that he expects the position to be ratified at the AGM. Arrogance seems to be slipping in here. The members were stripped of the majority of their rights last December. Now, Murray seems to be effectively stripping their only voting rights that remain. It now appears that the Board wants to direct the members to vote in a particular way. Surely, long-time passionate members who want to stand should be given a fair go in February next year.
Mockingjay
Mockingjay

Number of posts : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:22 pm

I, for one, appreciate the report from the President.

Did some research on Marteine Edwards and she seems to have excellent credentials. This is exactly the sort of appointment we should expect from the new board.

The GF win of the Bays was quite a few years in the making and the challenge of this Board is to commence the groundwork for another Westies premiership in the near future. The SANFL environment is pretty tough at the moment but our Board seems to be heading in the right direction.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 254

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:56 pm

Is she a West Adelaide Supporter? And how is finishing bottom and reversing our financial position "heading in the right direction"?
RODH2
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:49 pm

There is a win-win solution to this.

As President, I proposed to the Board that we appoint consultants who had expertise in different areas to report to the Board specifically about their 'portfolio', without necessarily being Board members. This wasn't pursued, but I think it had great merit.

Marteine seems well qualified to assist with membership, but the members only get one opportunity to elect someone and this basically takes away the chances of long-standing members to be elected, knowing they face the resources of the Board behind the Board's favoured candidate.

To preserve members' rights, on a Board with few long-standing members, it would be a win-win for Marteine to have a non-Board membership portfolio reporting to the Board and for the members to still have the right to elect one of their own choosing at the AGM.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2180

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:38 pm

I'm all for having long-term plans for the club, but one problem I have with a "three-year strategic plan" is that it effectively allows two and a bit years of poor results, while the Board keeps saying 'we said this would take 3 years, give it time'. If, along the way, some of the KPIs aren't met, what are the consequences of that? Because if there aren't any, then aren't they meaningless?
I have a one-year strategic plan: enable the club to recruit several good footballers and watch attendances and income streams rise with improved results.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1356

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:12 pm

Well, I guess they are starting from the bottom and all they can do is improve...…………... Rolling Eyes
RODH2
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:39 am

I saw on Facebook that Greg Hay was banned from the venue.

Greg's father,. Norm, was a past player and I reckon Greg has been sitting in the same seat at the bar for decades.

Without judging the decision, when new venue people come in and have no knowledge of a patron's background, it can lead to decisions that effect people badly.

I hope it sorts out okay.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:09 pm

As for Greg Hay being Banned.

From what I am lead to believe the bar was full of people with the Lacrosse Tournament wrapping up and the Bar staff were under the pump. People waiting for drinks everywhere and Greg did not complain about the staff it was more along the lines of not enough staff for the amount of people. Some choice words were applied to the situation but should that lead to a ban for 3 months? I would say no but I guess the truth hurts some people.

While I am on a rant, wanted to book in for Melbourne Cup luncheon at the club but 3 weeks out from the event and still nothing posted. The table of 10 that were going to attend got tired of waiting and the women have booked us all in elsewhere so they know they can Dress up and be appreciated also the know what the menu will be, what festivities will be happening on the day and have advertised for over a month. Sad but happy women leads to happy punting.

Just a tip for Next year the Melbourne Cup is Run on the first Tuesday of November.

GO THE BLOODS
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:17 pm

On the Greg Hay situation whilst I support any member raising issues/concerns with club management it needs to be done in an appropriate way and time --- I was not there but based on what I was told by someone who was there loud choice words to staff in a stressful situation is not the way to go rather complain to the CEO or Bar Manager ---- I do feel strongly that 3 month is over the top.

Just read the Melbourne Cup luncheon details on official Facebook page however it is not on the club website which is wrong IMO

Watch the Melbourne Cup at Westies Bar and Bistro this year! Enjoy a glass of Serafino sparkling or schooner of beer on arrival followed by a two course meal for $39.50 per person. We have best dressed competitions, sweeps & TAB facilities.

BOOK NOW: 8352 4022
Tuesday, 5 November 2019 from 12:00-16:00

edited to add --- just received email from club with this information

Last edited by Oldfella on Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 1044
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:25 pm

An email has also just been sent out. Way to late just to announce a two course meal and one drink IMO. This could have been done a month ago and then they may have had 10 extra people from my table.

GO THE BLOODS
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:27 pm

mikeme wrote:An email has also just been sent out. Way to late just to announce a two course meal and one drink IMO. This could have been done a month ago and then they may have had 10 extra people from my table.

GO THE BLOODS  

AGREED

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:09 pm

Is this perhaps another example of false economy? i.e. cutting staff/hours to save money, and losing money in the process?
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

President’s Report Empty We really should be able to do better.

Post by bruce cameron Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:24 pm

mikeme wrote:.
From what I am lead to believe the bar was full of people with the Lacrosse Tournament wrapping up and the Bar staff were under the pump. People waiting for drinks everywhere ...

While I am on a rant, wanted to book in for Melbourne Cup luncheon at the club but 3 weeks out from the event and still nothing posted. The table of 10 that were going to attend got tired of waiting and the women have booked us all in elsewhere so they know they can Dress up and be appreciated ...

GO THE BLOODS

A sponsor appreciation dinner [was] held at Kaffana’s restaurant, which was attended by more than forty businesses who support our club. (from Murray's address to members) Why wasn’t this held at the club given that our kitchen and bar are performing so admirably at the moment. Only the best for our sponsors, not so our members or visitors.

Last edited by bruce cameron on Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 379
Job/hobbies : Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:18 am

Ben Hopkins Appointed as Permanent CEO

The West Adelaide Football Club are pleased to announce the appointment of Ben Hopkins as Chief Executive Officer. Ben had been contracted by the SANFL to serve as the Interim CEO since December 2018 but will join West Adelaide Football Club on a permanent basis moving forward.

Club President Murray Forbes said, “We are extremely happy to continue the positive work Ben has been doing at the club, now officially as a West Adelaide employee.”

Murray spoke about the importance of having continuity in our leadership roles and securing the Senior Coach and CEO is a step in the right direction. The Board are looking forward to what we can collectively achieve in the near future.

Ben has more than 13 years of experience working in the football industry, primarily managing people and a broad range of programs in the community. Ben has enjoyed the challenge at West Adelaide in season 2019 and looks forward to working with the Board and staff to pursue better things for Westies in the future.

https://westadelaidefc.com.au/news/ben-hopkins-appointed-as-permanent-ceo/

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Coolie Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:09 pm

Must have missed the advertisement for applications. No doubt full open selection process conducted.
Coolie

Number of posts : 64

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:14 pm

Oldfella wrote:Ben Hopkins Appointed as Permanent CEO

The West Adelaide Football Club are pleased to announce the appointment of Ben Hopkins as Chief Executive Officer. Ben had been contracted by the SANFL to serve as the Interim CEO since December 2018 but will join West Adelaide Football Club on a permanent basis moving forward.

Club President Murray Forbes said, “We are extremely happy to continue the positive work Ben has been doing at the club, now officially as a West Adelaide employee.”

Murray spoke about the importance of having continuity in our leadership roles and securing the Senior Coach and CEO is a step in the right direction. The Board are looking forward to what we can collectively achieve in the near future.

Ben has more than 13 years of experience working in the football industry, primarily managing people and a broad range of programs in the community. Ben has enjoyed the challenge at West Adelaide in season 2019 and looks forward to working with the Board and staff to pursue better things for Westies in the future.

https://westadelaidefc.com.au/news/ben-hopkins-appointed-as-permanent-ceo/

Congratulations Ben on your permanent appointment. Could you please respond to the following request.

Why aren’t members being given access to the minutes of board meetings? Are minutes of meetings being kept as outlined in the constitution? This includes board meetings and committees/sub-committees.
One of the roles of our CEO is to:
16.3   To keep or cause to be kept records and minutes for the Club in a book or books provided for that purpose of the meetings of the Board, and all other committees and sub-committees of the Club.
For the sake of transparency, minutes need to be published and should include what each director has done between meetings. Furthermore, all these committees and sub-committees which are so active need to record them as well. Assuming that these minutes are being recorded, why can’t members be given access to them?
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:20 am

Congratulations to Ben. All the best to him and I'm sure he'll continue to do a good job.

Just a pedantic note. Would these releases please start with ' The West Adelaide Football Club IS...., not ARE. The Club is singular, not plural.

Sorry to be pedantic, but no harm in getting it right.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:22 am

Coolie wrote:Must have missed the advertisement for applications. No doubt full open selection  process conducted.

An interesting point, but the full open selection process we've used in the past hasn't delivered great results.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:20 pm

i personally do not believe that making the role permanent requires a advertisement for applications especially when the board is in a position to observe the Interim CEO undertaking the role and can clearly judge his suitability for permancy (call it a trail period LOL) --- waste of time and money. If any position becomes vacant then yes advertisement for applications is clearly required but does not apply in this case IMO.

Bruce Cameron,
quote "Why aren’t members being given access to the minutes of board meetings? Are minutes of meetings being kept as outlined in the constitution? This includes board meetings and committees/sub-committees.
One of the roles of our CEO is to:
16.3   To keep or cause to be kept records and minutes for the Club in a book or books provided for that purpose of the meetings of the Board, and all other committees and sub-committees of the Club.
For the sake of transparency, minutes need to be published and should include what each director has done between meetings. Furthermore, all these committees and sub-committees which are so active need to record them as well. Assuming that these minutes are being recorded, why can’t members be given access to them?
end quote.

Great questions that whilst may be discussed on here we would only be guessing especially around "business confidentiality issues ".

These are important and very questions I feel you should consider placing with the club either via their Face Book page, website question option or via a telephone call to club.

Telephone: (08) 8352 4022 Reception Opening Hours; Monday – Friday 11am to 3pm
https://westadelaidefc.com.au/inside-west-adelaide/contact/
https://www.facebook.com/westadelaidefootballclub/

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:53 pm

Oldfella wrote:

Great questions that whilst may be discussed on here we would only be guessing especially around "business confidentiality issues ".

These are important and very questions I feel you should consider placing with the club either via their Face Book page, website question option or via a telephone call to club.

Telephone: (08) 8352 4022 Reception Opening Hours; Monday – Friday 11am to 3pm
https://westadelaidefc.com.au/inside-west-adelaide/contact/
https://www.facebook.com/westadelaidefootballclub/

Thanks Oldfella. Have emailed Ben and Murray. I will report once I get a response.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:50 pm

Bruce, in accordance with the constitution minutes of Board meetings have always been kept.
They are not available for members or public consumption due to the fact that they include many sensitive & confidential matters relating to all facets of the club’s business & football affairs in addition to SANFL information (which is always kept confidential between all the club Boards & SANFL)

If any member has any matters of concern on club issues they are encouraged to contact either the CEO or the President, who I am sure will respond (if they can) with answers without breeching confidences.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 372

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next