Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2019 AFL pre and mid season drafts

3 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

2019 AFL pre and mid season drafts Empty 2019 AFL pre and mid season drafts

Post by Wolf Pack Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:02 am

What do members/supporters think of this?
Details are minimal at this stage but it would appear that SANFL clubs could lose players in March and May to the AFL clubs should they get a long term injury or retirement.

Again, we will see Port and Adelaide pick out SANFL players and they could potentially play the back end of the season for Port or Adelaide in the SANFL after playing the first half of the season for their original club.

I am all for players getting an opportunity at the top level but not when it compromises our competition during a season.
For me, it is becoming difficult to justify buying a club membership when our competition is fast becoming a bit of a circus........

What do others think?
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 796

Back to top Go down

2019 AFL pre and mid season drafts Empty Re: 2019 AFL pre and mid season drafts

Post by TAAARS Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:20 am

I agree and was also disgusted with the proposal when it was announced. That is exactly what will happen. AFL clubs will simply top up their SANFL/VFL/NEAFL/WAFL teams because they have room to and lessen the need for top up players from the country leagues etc with no regard for the clubs they are taking them from or the players themselves. Realistically if a player gets taken at such a late stage of the draft process he has next to no chance of playing AFL and is just filling a space on the list.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:35 pm

Imo should be midyear draft between the afl clubss existing players/ rookie listed players and should exclude state based and contracted players

In all honesty and fairness however sanfl clubs and thier equals australia wide have for many years including the present time have grabbed contracted lower grade players to play at sanfl league or reserves level totally disrupting that lower grades finals aspiration.

Perhaps what the afl is doing is no different to what the sanfl team have and are doing so whats good for the goose is also good for the gander. I see no difference in the afl and sanfl attitudes to teams in lower grades let be fair

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 1044
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:02 pm

That's a fair call old fella.
However in country and amateur football, supporters don't have to pay $200 per year for a membership or pay $14 to watch a game.
If we are going to compare our comp to lower grades, then it's time to scrap the costs for supporters.
Also, there is still the issue of sanfl players playing in the same comp but changing teams mid year.
That is rubbish!!!
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 796

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:16 pm

Wolf Pack wrote:That's a fair call old fella.
However in country and amateur football, supporters don't have to pay $200 per year for a membership or pay $14 to watch a game.
If we are going to compare our comp to lower grades, then it's time to scrap the costs for supporters.

Great comment mate reference membership which in many ways i agree with one fair discussion point of could/should be sanfl try lowering entry fees to say 10 buck to temp more to attend and clubs gaining from extra concession sale.

I can only respond by pointing to the similar difference between afl and sanfl membership --- membership is the finacial keystone of all levels of clubs.

One key differences i see between this afl change and how the sanfl treat lower grade clubs is all sanfl teams tend to negotiate with lower grade clubs in luding release back for key games and finals --- the afl proposal seems to be its happenning piss off we will do what we want reguardless of what best for the game of footy australian wide and by the way here is a finacial pittance (which does not meet cost to club in recruit said play) so go away.

As i said before should only be interchange of players between the afl clubs of afl listed or afl rockie listed players

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 1044
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:55 pm

SANFL clubs and( I assume WAFL etc do likewise) put back into grass roots footy in the way of clinics etc to their country and city zones. So asking a lad to try out from those zones etc is fair enough. The AFL  is all take and little give back in my view. What the AFL leaders have to realize is no feeder leagues ends up no AFL or a poor standard of AFL eventually.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down