Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

West v Crows reserves trial report

+7
Milner Road
captainblood
Lachlan
Jamo
Lee Harradine
Mypaspective
blackandred
11 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

West v Crows reserves trial report Empty West v Crows reserves trial report

Post by blackandred Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:21 pm

While they’d never admit it, the Westies coaching staff must be very pleased with the pre-season completed this morning at Richmond oval. Our senior team ran out pretty convincing winners against the Crows reserves 14.15 to 12.7. Undefeated in their 3 trials and with so many young players stepping-up this season looks to be the most entertaining and interesting for some time.

The Crows outfit included Scott Thompson, Podsiadly, Brodie Martin, Matt Crouch and several players like huge ruckman Osborn returning from long term injuries. It must have been awesome for players like Snelling, Schiller and Haysman finding themselves at the bottom of the pack with players like Thompson.

The match was played at a cracking pace with no quarter given. Heavy clashes were the order of the day. Helbig crunched a Crows player into orbit with a classic hip and shoulder, Newell went in hard and wore a head bandage for his efforts. Ruck duties were shared by Nelson, Willets, Webb and Watchman but Nelson has staked his claim to lead the rucks next week. He and Willets then went out and played in the Reserves trial! Silverlock was in everything and Ezard and Wasley-Black went well down back.

Our forward line is still not settled although we look better with Beech there. Green should also start with Tuck and Fielke rotating through and, if fit, Hardy the spearhead. Willets and Webb are other possibilities with their height making them dangerous but, in my view, both play their better footy on the ball. Much depends on Hardy taking a grab and kicking a bag, something he hasn't yet managed at the club.

There was no Schmidt, Hartlett, Porps, Hardy or Stevens playing which made the effort all the more satisfying. Big Aaron Francis also didn’t play but, if available, would have to play next week based on last week’s trial. Goals were shared around between Beech, Webb and Green with many other contributors. Beech seemed intent on showing the Crows what they have missed out on! Helbig had his best game of the preseason, Schiller was solid with much of his work done at the bottom of packs. Keogh stood out and the 3 juniors, Agostino, Snelling and Haysman pretty much picked themselves for next week with excellent efforts. Snelling’s quickness of hand and foot and Agostino’s style and class will see them playing lots of senior footy this year. Anderson and Favretto also did some terrific things and will put further pressure on selectors. After today I have 25 players that have to play in our league team next week?! Who would be a selector?

There are some similarities here with the 2003 season where we made the GF with so many wonderful juniors like Cooney, Waters, Porplyzia, Cassisi, etc.

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 254

Back to top Go down

West v Crows reserves trial report Empty Re: West v Crows reserves trial report

Post by Mypaspective Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:40 pm

Agree with all your comments B&R.

I didn't know whether you were there today so I attempted my own report (shown in above post) which is a carbon copy in many facets.

Sorry I am not trying to cut your lunch as you always give a very accurate analysis. I'll stay out of it in the future.

I was inspired today by a youthful exciting team that's for sure.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 372

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:18 pm

Please continue to make your contribution. All views are welcome.

With zero coverage in local media Westies fans spread far and wide will appreciate your efforts.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 254

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:53 pm

Random thoughts.

1. Win, lose or draw it is great watching a fast moving West Adelaide play attacking football.
2. Can't believe we had to watch that Collins crap for all those years.
3. I can't believe that the BBQ people are volunteers and never get it wrong. Maybe they can give the catering guy a hand.
4. The young ones continue to impress.
5. Hopton is great to watch. He hits hard and runs his guts out.
6. Beechy was all class today and stuck it up the crows.
7. We can play Webby and Hardy up forward and Willo and Nelson in the ruck next week.
8. Wasley-Black and Helbig are improving each week.
9. Fielke and Greeny worked well today and always provide a hard contest.
10. West will be a top 5 contender this year with a bit of luck and we will finally smack Norwood as well.  
11. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:21 pm

22 free kicks to us, 9 to them. Our discipline was excellent, no 25's against us.

Forgot to mention Greeny was excellent again.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2180

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:27 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:22 free kicks to us, 9 to them.  Our discipline was excellent, no 25's against us.

Forgot to mention Greeny was excellent again.

I think Harts was home in bed. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamo Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:27 pm

Leave nelson out and you only have 24 to pick from for the 22 hehehe

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
RED BLACK 2015.
Jamo
Jamo

Number of posts : 189
Job/hobbies : Accounts Manager Timber Wholesale

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:00 pm

You're a bit harsh Jamo. Big PETE did make a couple of clangers which cost us a couple of goals but we need to be careful for what we wish for. Big men are like rocking horse droppings & we need him playing to improve.

Also some of the players read this forum mate.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 372

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:36 pm

Schmidt and Tuck have spent very little time in the midfield over the trials and I think that's a very good thing. Tuck is so hard to match up on when he plays Forward and Schmidt uses the ball so well from half back. This has allowed players such as Haysman,Snelling,Porps in an earlier game and Helbig( Love the way this guy plays) to go through the midfield as they cover the ground quicker then both Tuck and Schmidt and they all so run both ways

Turner and Favretto played across half back in place of Schmidt today and both could easily play there for the whole year.

It is very exiting to watch young WESTIES kids like Snelling,Haysman, Agostino,Turner, Favretto and Francis ( who didn't play today). These guys are all class and all of them have staked a claim to play round 1.

Good to see Anderson fitter this year. The kid can play.
Also having Ezard back playing from half back is like having a new recruit. He's hardly played in the past 2 years

The only concern I have is an injury to any of our key defenders. it's probably an area where we are a little vulnerable

Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post by captainblood Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:11 pm

Well I've seen 3 trials now and that's the type of football I'e been longing to see.
These young kids are great, they chase and hassle and they have real skill.

Couple of moves I really like... Tuck at centre half forward has been good thus far. He moves around, adds aggression, takes a good mark and is willing to move the ball on straight away. If he is having a downer he can go in the middle.
Hardy is looking potent this year, he not holding all his marks but you can see it's only a matter of time.

Aaron Anderson is my tip to win the B&F this year. Kids a tank only knows one way and that's a physical attack as well as some skill thrown in.
Turner,Agostino Favretto in the backline has allowed the likes of Green to be moved forward and become a playmaker. Agostino's kicking is a delight to watch.
Haysman and Snelling are like nipping dogs at the heals of their opponents never giving them a moments peace.
Like the work of Newell in a couple of games, he does add run and Stevens is living up to his big wraps.
Helbig is a hard nut and finds the ball, he can hold onto the ball a bit long but hell it's in his hands and not an opponents.
Frances will be the swingman who can take a mark either end of the ground.
I could go on and on, Beech, Porps, Webb,Wasley-Black,Ezard, Schmidt etc.

I'm really enthusiastic about this season. Having so many youngsters might mean that later in the season some may physically tire and wear down but our depth looks pretty good. Hope we can keep the squad intact and not lose them to the Amateur teams.

The club has put together a nice squad that will be competitive and play a brand of football that is a pleasure to watch.  
We haven't won a game for points yet but I looking forward to the next few weeks.
Go Bloods
captainblood
captainblood

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by Milner Road Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:03 pm

Some very random thoughts there.

Second Team wrote:Random thoughts.

1. Win, lose or draw it is great watching a fast moving West Adelaide play attacking football.
3. I can't believe that the BBQ people are volunteers and never get it wrong. Maybe they can give the catering guy a hand.
4. The young ones continue to impress.
5. Hopton is great to watch. He hits hard and runs his guts out.
6. Beechy was all class today and stuck it up the crows.
7. We can play Webby and Hardy up forward and Willo and Nelson in the ruck next week.
8. Wasley-Black and Helbig are improving each week.
9. Fielke and Greeny worked well today and always provide a hard contest.
10. West will be a top 5 contender this year with a bit of luck and we will finally smack Norwood as well.  
11. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Milner Road
Milner Road

Number of posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by testy Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:44 am

We couldn't get to yesterdays trial but by the write ups on here we had a good day, I know it is just a trial but the other two weren't bad either.

In the forty five years I have been attending games played by he Bloods I can't remember having so many youngsters pushing for league selection, all coming up from our successful under eighteens from last year, what a great problem to have, go the bloods.
testy
testy

Number of posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:20 am

Second Team wrote:

The best thing about "that Collins crap" was winning all those games, especially the ones in the finals.
LukeO9
LukeO9

Number of posts : 151

Back to top Go down

Post by JCL Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:28 am

Agreed Luke - I'd much rather those years than the rubbish we had to put up with last year. I went to games expecting to win which was a nice change - that disappeared completely last year. Hopefully this will be a better year but if it isn't, I can't see how the coaching change was a good move.
JCL
JCL

Number of posts : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:57 am

I also agree.  Collo took us from a basket case to a Grand Final and a further finals experience.  All this starting from the worst list I've known at Westies in my time and with a club in financial strife.  His style of play may not have pleased everyone, but like Luke and JCL, winning games was certainly better than being perennial wooden spooners.

Norwood played much the same style.

It's difficult to change a team from playing that style to what we're playing now in a year and with the huge injury toll last year, our poor season was predictable to some extent.

Now that Mark has settled in, we have a strong list, many talented juniors and good depth.

As for Collo, look at Snelling, Haysman, Agostino, Francis, Turner, Watchman and several others who will move forward this year and thank him and our junior coaches for setting up our Centre of Excellence.

I have to say that in my time at Westies, I'd never known a coach to plan for the good of our club long-term as Andrew Collins always did.

Mark Mickan is continuing that legacy.  Mark is a multiple B & F winner at Westies as well as a B & F winner with 2 AFL clubs and we're in good hands with our coaching and planning.

Then again, the season hasn't started and the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so we'll see what happens.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2180

Back to top Go down

Post by JCL Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:06 am

Well said Lee.
JCL
JCL

Number of posts : 32

Back to top Go down

Post by billrobs1 Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:53 am

Collins deserves respect and admiration for his time at the Bloods.

I just cant imagine where we would be now if it had not been for him!!!

Thorougly agree with Luke, JCL and Lee
billrobs1
billrobs1

Number of posts : 143

Back to top Go down

Post by Milner Road Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:19 pm

Yep I agree Testy. Our U18 juniors coming through are outstanding. Credit must go to Jarrod Mears the under 18 coach and Andrew Marks the talent manager for all the hard work they have done the last few years.

testy wrote:
We couldn't get to yesterdays trial but by the write ups on here we had a good day, I know it is just a trial but the other two weren't bad either.

In the forty five years I have been attending games played by he Bloods I can't remember having so many youngsters pushing for league selection, all coming up from our successful under eighteens from last year, what a great problem to have, go the bloods.
Milner Road
Milner Road

Number of posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:59 am

JCL wrote:Agreed Luke - I'd much rather those years than the rubbish we had to put up with last year. I went to games expecting to win which was a nice change - that disappeared completely last year. Hopefully this will be a better year but if it isn't, I can't see how the coaching change was a good move.

Warning: my reply is going to make some assumptions on what you've possibly suggested in your post.

Collins to MM wasn't a change of choice; MM filled an empty space with a generous offer.
Last year was terrible, but I couldn't put it down to poor coaching. The performance of last year's team was uncoachable. The skill level was so low it was impossible to form any strategy. However, when they did play well (i.e. West v Port @ Richmond), I thought MM did well.
Maybe last year was due to a lack confidence in a new style and/or new team-mates. MM rucked for a lightning fast team in '83. And what I've seen in the trial matches, this may return. Certainly the skill level has vastly improved! If this continues, I think then the supporters can judge MM.
I like the team this year.
I see great potential in many areas, like, I think Tuck will love playing with Big Bruce.
Go Bloods!
LukeO9
LukeO9

Number of posts : 151

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum