Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

West v Eagles

+9
Wolf Pack
Lachlan
Oldfella
firstblood
blackandred
TAAARS
loppy19
RODH2
aldo russian
13 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

West v Eagles Empty West v Eagles

Post by aldo russian Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:23 am

The season feels very short when you only win 3 games but let's hope we go out with a bang this week.
Presumably it's Beechy's last game so hopefully he bags a couple.
Someone will need to run with Rowe all day I'd think. Mulady and Thackeray might be under pressure to keep their spots, and maybe Obst finally gets a crack.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1356

Back to top Go down

West v Eagles Empty Re: West v Eagles

Post by RODH2 Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:13 pm

Springboard for success next year, right?! Neutral
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post by loppy19 Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:25 am

I watched the game and turned off in frustration at the 24 min mark as Eagles lined up for a shot on goal to take the game. I could not believe it when I saw we won, I dont know how..... free replay on the Afl website- I watched it and still dont know how we won that but I'll take it!!

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1018720/sanfl-match-replay-r18-woodville-west-torrens-v-west-adelaide?videoId=1018720&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1693024800001&references=AFL_MATCH:5733&references=AFL_MATCH:5733
loppy19
loppy19

Number of posts : 160

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:48 pm

I was at the game and it was a very entertaining match with the scores ebbing back and forth.
Last time we played them in round 7 at home they beat us by 10 goals. This time on their patch we won. This to me is a good indication of how much they have improved. I was at the northern goal at the end of the match and didn't the supporters go off! The reserves all jumped the fence after the win! Great to see.
These kids (and they are mostly kids) are good to watch with fast hands and they never give up. We need to keep them together as they will only get better with experience as  they grow strength in the Gym. Yes we need 3 or 4 senior players to help them on their way so let's hope we can recruit some in the off season.
First time in years we have something to look forward to IMHO. Well done Adam ,players and support staff.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:50 pm

Well done to the coaching staff and the players for this terrific win in the last game of the season. This team never gives up. Several times in the last Q I thought we were gone. When Park hit the post from 2m out I thought we couldn’t win from there but to their credit they kept attacking, taking the game on and it paid off. Mattingly’s tackle in the dying minutes an absolute classic.
It’s a cliché but all played well. The younger, inexperienced players like Obst, White and Thackery showed maturity as the team refused to panic in the last Q.
The challenge in the off season is to keep the group together and supplement it with a couple of good recruits. Bring on 2024.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 254

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:53 pm

It's nice to see some good positive comments from a couple of posters above, Pity some can't support the club instead of bagging it almost every week.
Hartlett has got something special brewing with these youngsters, keep them together and the future looks bright.
Also, nice to see quite a lot of Westies supporters at the game yesterday.
firstblood
firstblood

Number of posts : 414
Job/hobbies : The light keeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:13 pm

I am proud of the work done this season by Coach Adam Hartlett and all his coaches, players and footy staff.

Another stone laid in the pyramid to success.

In recognition of how hard it is to keep backroom staff at the club I personally dedicate yesterdays win to our +20 years staff members  John, Jason and Dits == well done gentlemen

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 1045
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:34 pm

I agree with other posters! this year has been a building block hopefully for Better times ahead.

We have a side that is playing for the coach and he can coach.
We need to ensure our fitness base and commitment for the contest is the same next year.
K. Ryan,Mattingly and Park once again our 3 best players. These 3 have been exceptional all year. I hope we keep Ryan.
Michael Mattingly has been outstanding this year, he makes good decisions and his role on Rowe yesterday was outstanding. I rate this guy very highly and he’s been an excellent recruit.

We need to keep this group together next year and Recruit
1. A good Ruckman
2. Two quality Key Position Players
3. A couple of strong Mids.

I thought both White and Obst were good yesterday.

Last edited by Lachlan on Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:39 pm

lahlan,

fully agree with thoughts and hopefully the kids we blooded this year will not attract awfull(afl) attention.

I like you thoughts on recruits needed and the pressure is on for the football department to bring in those payers Adam needs for the next step

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Sun Aug 27, 2023 4:49 pm

firstblood wrote:It's nice to see some good positive comments from a couple of posters above, Pity some can't support the club instead of bagging it almost every week.
Hartlett has got something special brewing with these youngsters, keep them together and the future looks bright.
Also, nice to see quite a lot of Westies supporters at the game yesterday.

It’s hard to find a positive when we have won 5 consecutive wooden spoons and have won 13 games in five years.

I do agree that we have improved this year BUT
We still finished last
We have several holes in our list
We have salary cap issues still

I’m not as optimistic as most on here.
Hopefully, I’m proven wrong!
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 797

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:47 pm

Good on you Wolf Pack, winning the last game doesn't excuse 5, count them, five wooden spoons. I have never criticised the Coach, I have never criticised the players. I'm happy to be proven wrong too, but there are serious problems with this club and the way it is being run. It's a shambles. And firstblood, appreciate the sentiment, but run through the positives for me, starting off with 5 wooden spoons. I support the Club, that's why I want it to be successful. Don't conflate any criticism of the Club with "disloyalty".
RODH2
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:36 pm

Oldfella wrote:I am proud of the work done this season by Coach Adam Hartlett and all his coaches, players and footy staff.

Another stone laid in the pyramid to success.

In recognition of how hard it is to keep backroom staff at the club I personally dedicate yesterdays win to our +20 years staff members  John, Jason and Dits == well done gentlemen
While have less to do with Dits and John these days you also give thanks to Karen who helps Dits out alot. What day yesterday was to finish a frustrating season. At least 6 games we lost by 10 points or less. I read in the paper that Adam compared this season like Collo's first season in 2011 and we knew where that took us. The future is looking bright

2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:18 pm

RODH2 wrote:Good on you Wolf Pack, winning the last game doesn't excuse 5, count them, five wooden spoons. I have never criticised the Coach, I have never criticised the players. I'm happy to be proven wrong too, but there are serious problems with this club and the way it is being run. It's a shambles. And firstblood, appreciate the sentiment, but run through the positives for me, starting off with 5 wooden spoons. I support the Club, that's why I want it to be successful. Don't conflate any criticism of the Club with "disloyalty".

If you have a problem with the club, then contact them. If you wish to continue criticizing the club, find some where else to do it or ill have no hesitation in shutting this forum down.

Last edited by firstblood on Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
firstblood
firstblood

Number of posts : 414
Job/hobbies : The light keeper

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:24 pm

You are conflating any criticism of the Club with Disloyalty, firstblood.
RODH2
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:17 pm

As joint Admin, I confirm that free speech within the site rules will not be suppressed.

FirstBlood is able to shut down the Forum at any time.

I hooe he reconsiders and allows lifelong supporters to post their opinions, as long as it's within site rules.
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 59

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:20 pm

My thoughts for all.

I was personally annoyed the way that Lethal has been treated and I and others have repeatedly raised my concerns at senior management and Board level unsuccessfully sadly. Basically, this is common business practice in the business world -- not right but it is what it is.

On the night that the Members overwhelmingly voted in the changes to the constitution that meant that the majority of the Board is appointed by the nominations committee rather than Members I was one of the few who stood up and spoke against the change.

Given the overwhelming support by members for the change as a life Member I had to accept it and move on supporting members within the new structure.

I and I believe moderators of this chat group have always allowed fair comment on individual issue/concerns within the club (membership etc) but have always also suggested ring the club CEO to discuss. It is my feedback from individuals have done this that they were satisfied with the CEO's response/actions.

I understand what you mean when you say " there are serious problems with this club and the way it is being run" and note that none of the original board for various reasons are there anymore.

Kanta runs the board now and has identified that things have not worked and indicated that he will soon be bringing changes/options to Members for their consideration. We cannot keep racking over the coals from the past but deal and comment on the present.

Finally, as I have indicated in more than one post there is options within the Constitution for member to seek change but honestly and sadly, I find it difficult to see any proposal getting support from enough member for change to occur.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:31 am

firstblood wrote:
RODH2 wrote:Good on you Wolf Pack, winning the last game doesn't excuse 5, count them, five wooden spoons. I have never criticised the Coach, I have never criticised the players. I'm happy to be proven wrong too, but there are serious problems with this club and the way it is being run. It's a shambles. And firstblood, appreciate the sentiment, but run through the positives for me, starting off with 5 wooden spoons. I support the Club, that's why I want it to be successful. Don't conflate any criticism of the Club with "disloyalty".

If you have a problem with the club, then contact them. If you wish to continue criticizing the club, find some where else to do it or ill have no hesitation in shutting this forum down.

Well said Dits . Its been done to death over and over. I am sure the Club knows time to give them a chance.
bundy
bundy

Number of posts : 460
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:37 am

on a different subject was this game the last at westies by johno beech.

either way what a magnificent westies person he is and deserve the highest love and respect from all supporters

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:26 pm

This was an entertaining game, albeit with a lot of turnovers by both sides. So pleased for the coaches and players to end an unlucky season this way, on a ground where wins have been infrequent. I've seen us finish bottom many times but never with so much optimism (well founded or not) about the future on field. That optimism will depend on good recruiting but we're such an inexperienced side that you'd think there's plenty of natural improvement in us.

Kobe Ryan was brilliant. His clearance work is amazing, and he's tough as nails. He was instrumental in winning the game for us, not just across the day but he sparked both of our last two goals, with a handball out of clearance, and that intercept that led to Squire's pass to Delahunty. At 19 he's quite possibly our best player.
Mattingly was again terrific, along with Josh Ryan and Park, and Corbett held his own in ruck and was handy around the ground. And Delahunty took some very strong marks and competed well.
Obst's debut was great, his second half was outstanding, looking like a 100-game veteran, his highlight being a half-volley intercept pick up and long bomb to Ned Stevens who goaled. And Jordan White looked very comfortable and reliable, doing some good work on Menzel.
We could very easily have finished higher on the ladder. But we didn't. Centrals recruited heavily and have finished 4th (so far), we didn't and have finished last. We have to be able to pay the full salary cap, and I hope the club is making a strong case for us to do so to the SANFL.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1356

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:44 pm

Hart's match report is up.

His reports all year have been excellent.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2180

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:24 pm

totally agree lethal

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:21 pm

[/quote] time to give them a chance.[/quote]
Can't resist. I feel Adam has done an amazing job as Coach and will only be very good for the Club - and the players have done their very best, I have NO criticism...I'm happy for the Moderators to moderate as they see fit, as well. But fair dinkum Bundy, after FIVE years of abject and utter failure, it's "time to give them a chance"?? Like I said, it's not the Coach, or the players, It's the people who run this Club. I wish there was some action Members and supporters could take, but there isn't.
RODH2
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:19 pm

Good and fair comments mate imo.

I could be wrong but i feel Bundy comment to time to give them a chance was referring to the new faces around the club in senior positions also to procedural changes needing time.

When i looked there many more changes that have occurred through out the club in the last couple of years than i first thought. to name a just few but there is more.

Adam Hartlet and changes to footy staff at all levels with Adams new style and requirements being adopted at all levels ensuring that young players from day 1 are taught the westies way --- very important imo. New Footy Manager Paul Streatfield and it needs to be recognized that he now shares office space with Adam in main building allowing closer coordination.

Of top of my head with the exception of Bradley Abraham the Commercial & Marketing Director all other directors are in their first term. Also noted that Chris Schmidt Football Director is also the Vice President. Hopefully gaining experience toward what I believe is his future to become the President.

Not to forget our CEO Conny who is making many good change to business procedures in all areas aimed at turning us into a professional organization rather than an ad-hock one.

There is more I can point too but not now --- give the changes to the Board, football personnel and structural and operational changes then I do feel Bundy comment was fair and reasonable but others may disagree which is their rights

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:28 pm

All good comment and fair, Oldfella, I do share your optimism, but a sacrificed Salary Cap and control of the Club by an unelected few on top of a reluctance by this Club to take on board ANY form of criticism after 5 failed years is what I find unacceptable. 5 wooden spoons, a perilous financial position, falling Membership and attendance numbers and the frustration of long time Westies supporters to have any say in the future of the Club is where I am coming from. I respect your opinion on this.
RODH2
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:44 pm

I understand exactly where you're coming from mate and honestly do not disagree, but all those people are gone now.

I have not seen a Premiership come from one year work all I have seen at Westies were created over 3-4 years so I honestly looked at all aspects of the club and have hopes for improvement for next couple of years. Who know (shrug) have I rose colored glasses (probably LOL) but I am Westies till I die which by the way I tell my kids I am not dying until our next Premiership LOL.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM