Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trial v Eagles at Richmond

+3
blackandred
Lachlan
Lee Harradine
7 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Trial v Eagles at Richmond Empty Trial v Eagles at Richmond

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:17 pm

Squads

https://westadelaidefc.com.au/news/trial-2-squads-v-eagles-league-reserves/

Some good inclusions, but still no Kaiden Brand. All the best to Kaiden, hope he is ready soon.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2184

Back to top Go down

Trial v Eagles at Richmond Empty Re: Trial v Eagles at Richmond

Post by Lachlan Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:18 pm

I want a much better performance this weekend.

I want to see an improvement with the way we move the ball,
we went backwards and sideways from defence.
This has been an ongoing issue for to long.

We need to move the ball forward and quickly
so as to give our forwards better opportunities.

Secondly our midfield must get their hands to the ball first.

When you have been bottom for the past 4 years these trial
matches become very important.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 1026

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:22 pm

A much improved performance on last week. Went down by a few goals in a very low scoring game. We were in front in the last Q but the Eagles won the midfield contest with about ten minutes of very good footy. The intensity had ramped up at this stage of the game and, to our credit, we fought back hard in the last half of this Q to stop their run. We dominated the play in the first 3 Qs with great run and tackling but rarely troubled the scorer.
Thought we had found a new forward in the third Q when Liam Delahunty had 3 set shots from 25m out but kicked only 1.2. We saw William Glanville for the first time, he played on the ball and impressed. Kobe Ryan possibly our best. A magnificent tackle just before half time a special highlight. First run for Jonno Beech – did a few good things. Isaac Johnson is struggling for form. Had a run in the backlines in the last half but didn’t see much of the ball. Cooper Patterson looked to have a badly injured foot but came back on and impressed down back. If fit should start in the first game. Michael Laudato looked good up forward early and, from memory, kicked our first 2 goals. Bramich rucked for most of the game and competed well.
The landscaping on the outer mound is very family friendly and attractive and the adventure playground will hopefully attract some kids to come along and support the mighty Bloods.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 257

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:44 pm

The slogan on the scoreboard read 'Stronger Together', which was a timely reminder after the President's divisive message during the week.

I only saw the last part of the 2s.  We went down by a goal or so.

The league trial was possibly one of the lowest standard games I've ever seen.  We started really well, had plenty of the ball and as b&r said, Michael Laudato started on fire and kicked a goal and missed one (?).  The Eagles were awful and we led nicely by 2 goals at the first break.

We then managed to then kick just one goal until the 22 minute mark of the last quarter.  We certainly could have kicked more goals, but converting from 30 out, straight in front proved too much of a task.  Our poor goalkicking was only matched by the same fate afflicting the Eagles.

I think it was 2.5 each at half-time, in perfect conditions.

The third quarter was notable for the error percentage going from about 60% to about 80%, from both teams.

We were mere spectators in the last quarter, with the Eagles constantly in attack, but constantly turning the ball over. We scored a consolation walk- in goal with a few minutes to go, to lose by 19 points to a team who won't challenge for finals.

Kobe Ryan racked up possessions without hurting the opposition much, but was good.  Bramich is a real competitor, Laudato was good in the first quarter, Glanville looked promising at times, Delahunty had a purple patch for a short while, but it was the sort of game where nobody really stood out.  Hamish Ellem didn't seem to play the first half (might be wrong) and rucked some of the time he was on.

As b&r said, an improved effort, but we have kicked 5 goals and 4 goals in perfect conditions so far and look way off the pace.  Josh Ryan and Beechy played.

To make matters worse, I heard an unverified report that Frost had broken his collarbone.

After watching that, in all honesty I can't find much to be positive about, no matter how hard I try.  We seem a long way off being competitive.

I'll have to hang my hat on it only being a trial.

Not sure that $50K less salary cap than the other teams is a good football decision.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by loppy19 Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:10 pm

Headed to have a look and concur with all said so far, ground looking better as mentioned and the 1st qtr was good too.
But as you said Lee, we look like we will struggle again this season. Liked how Harts has them playing, skills were slightly better 1st half but not sure we are kicking winning scores too often when we miss easy shots as often as we do.
Liked bramich and few others- games today but it will be interesting to see how we go against North, Norwood etc.
loppy19
loppy19

Number of posts : 161

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:35 pm

I agree with other posters. The game as a spectacle was terrible.

Effort will only take you so far, PERSONNEL IS OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM.
THEREFORE TO NOT SPEND OUR FULL SALARY CAP IS BEYOND BELIEF.
$50k is a significant amount and we could have signed 2 possibly 3 very good players.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 1026

Back to top Go down

Post by loppy19 Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:32 am

Spot on Lachlan, the main thing missing is quality players. Looking at Sturt and Norwood warming up, you can see we are smaller and less experienced than both teams (never ending story that one). So the move to go with youngsters and tighten the cap seems a great idea if you want to stay bottom… want to be positive but I am realistic. If we win 6 games, it would be a big tick for Hartlett with the personnel .
loppy19
loppy19

Number of posts : 161

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:19 am

Correct, loppy.  6 wins would be a dream result, which isn't what we'd hoped after 4 years

You are correct about playing juniors, too.  That is a good thing if it's supplementing top-tier talent.  It's happening, IMO, out of necessity because we can't attract top talent, for 2 reasons.

One is that good players don't want to come to a perennially bottom club. They might if the money is very good only.

So what do we do?  We tell Harts he has $50K less to spend than every other club.

The President denies it, but that is a decision of a Business Board, not a Football Board and it is a disastrous decision.

We're asked to stay silent and just praise the dynamic Board without question.

We are life-long supporters, we care about our club and we can see the clear evidence of what is happening.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:31 am

Every other team has showed something so far in the trial games except for us. It’s really disappointing.
We are getting further and further behind the rest of the competition.
We had to bolster the midfield in the off season to give us half a chance.
You have to have 2 or 3 A Grade, Big Bodies in there.
I don’t think we have anyone who fits that bill!!
We play North in round 1.
They have Combe and Young both Magarey Medalists
Sam Mayes and Andrew Moore ex AFL big body players.
They are going to brush us aside!
If we had a strong midfield, we might have been competitive.
We’ve got players forward and back that are solid enough.
I know a ball hasn’t been bounced in the season proper but I can’t see how we don’t finish last again….

Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 801

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:24 am

Lachlan wrote:I agree with other posters. The game as a spectacle was terrible.

Effort will only take you so far, PERSONNEL IS OUR BIGGEST PROBLEM.
THEREFORE TO NOT SPEND OUR FULL SALARY CAP IS BEYOND BELIEF.
$50k is a significant amount and we could have signed 2 possibly 3 very good players.

But Lachlan this was explained at the AGM. " We finished bottom last year with a full salay cap so this year we will save the money"

Oh dear!
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:44 pm

I hope that wasn't a considered response at the AGM. If it was, it is beyond belief, but explains why we're bottom and football seems to be such a low priority.

I didn't believe it had actually been said at the time - gobsmacking.

PS: Where is Lachie Squire? Injured?
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:08 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:

PS:  Where is Lachie Squire?  Injured?
I think he had surgery over the break

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 669

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:20 pm

Thanks, Thiele.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down