Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP

+11
scorpion
bundy
brodlach
bludntars
Mark Beswick
Thiele
aldo russian
Jamo
Oldfella
Lee Harradine
blacky
15 posters

:: FORUM :: GENERAL CHAT

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

RIP - Page 4 Empty Re: RIP

Post by TAAARS Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:21 am

It appears to be fixed now Aldo.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:26 pm

Yes, thanks Taars.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1366

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:12 pm

Or they could read my book Smile
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2186

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:28 pm

You’ve got a book?
brodlach
brodlach

Number of posts : 442

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:57 pm

Yes, despite it being given the Fawlty Towers 'don't mention the war' treatment by some at the Club (nothing political, of course Cool ), it's done very well, first edition of 250 sold out.

I know you think it's strange an author would continue to promote it, but many, many West supporters around Australia have contacted me to express their enjoyment and historians have given it great reviews.

Keep chipping away, you'll be getting into stalking territory soon.

Meanwhile, life's good.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:39 pm

I can recall the effect Murray Weideman had on our team when he arrived.  We seemed to stand taller and he was a charismatic leader, who could definitely play.

His coaching took us from the depths of the years after the Kerley sacking to being a finals team and very competitive.

We lacked success for years before he arrived and for years after he left coaching.  He still served the club in other capacities later and was a revered figure at the Club.

RIP Murray, legend.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:10 pm

If you head to Fiveaa website look under Conversations with Cornsey. Murray did one last year. Look under podcasts and search for Feb 3rd 2020

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 669

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:27 pm

Many years ago whilst on a business trip to Victoria a friend took me to dinner at the Collingwood Club --- all off a sudden all patrons started clapping and it was because Murray had walked in --- the amount of respect this man had was amazing.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 1046
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:07 pm

It is with great sadness to inform you of the passing of a true West Adelaide legend.

Brian Keith Faehse who passed away peacefully on Sunday 21st March, 2021 at 96 tears old after a short illness, which he battled with the same grit & determination that he demonstrated in all of his 222 games for West Adelaide, a club record on his retirement from the game.

Coming from the Eyre Peninsula town of Cummins, Brian made his first appearance for West Adelaide in the Senior Colts in 1943 whilst serving his apprenticeship as an Electrical Engineer.

Playing his first game in 1944, for what was then West-Glenelg during WW2, he would break his ankle in his 7th game which unfortunately ended his season.

Brian didn’t miss too many games through injury, playing 128 consecutively, earning him the nickname Ironman.

He represented the State on 19 occasions.

The player races to enter the field at the old Adelaide Oval were a result of Brian taking on the Port Adelaide supporters after the siren at the halftime break of the 1954 Grand Final. At the time players had to leave the oval through the crowd without any protection.

As a result, the SANFL decided to install the races in the off season to protect the players entering and leaving the field. Ironically, Brian was the first to use the new players’ race, when in 1955 he led West Adelaide onto the field against Norwood.

Anyone who visits Richmond Oval (currently Hisense Stadium) will have seen the B.K. Faehse

Stand, which was renamed the Brian Faehse Stand in late 2020 on his personal request.

Brian was given the honour of having the stand named after him as he was a key figure &

part of the sub-committee which started the acquisition & development of Richmond Oval.

He organised the plan of the oval, arranged earthmoving equipment & clearing of the land, in addition to digging the trenches for the watering system and the laying of the turf for the oval. He banded together past & present players, officials & supporters for the installation.

Unfortunately, he had retired by the time the first game was played at Richmond Oval in 1958.

The great Fos Williams said on Brian’s retirement from the game after the 1956 season, ’I’ve never met a better teammate or a more ferocious & determined opponent’

Apart from football, Brian was an accomplished golfer playing for Glenelg Golf Club representing them in the Simpson Cup.

Brian will be remembered as our 1947 Premiership Player, Captain, Coach and a member of our management committee, but most of all as a gentleman.

If a football club ever needed a template on which to build a culture, it would well benefit to use the example of the way Brian Faehse conducted himself on & off the field in life & his time at The West Adelaide Football Club.

Our thoughts are with Brian’s family, friends and especially his long-time friend & companion Janet who has given exemplary care to Brian through his illness.

Bernie Conlen

WAFC Past Players & Officials President.

Vale Brian Keith Faehse

SANFL debut with West-Glenelg on 27 May 1944

West Adelaide Premiership Player 1947

West Adelaide Best & Fairest 1950 & 1951

West Adelaide Captain 1951-56

West Adelaide Captain Coach 1951-52

19 State games for South Australia 1948 -56

West Adelaide Football Club Life Member 1949

SANFL Player Life Member

SANFL League Tribunal Commissioner 1964-78

South Australian Football Hall of Fame Inaugural inductee 2002

West Adelaide Football Club Hall of Fame Inaugural inductee 2005

Official Legend of the West Adelaide Football Club 2011
blacky

Number of posts : 251

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:19 pm

From email I received today
blacky

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:04 am

It is one thing to lose a supporter in the later stage of life but to lose a bloody kid is just terrible

Rest in peace dear West Adelaide Player Charlotte Agostino --------- Your present duties to the West Adelaide Football Club have now ended but now you take on a new role as part of the rich history of our great club

https://www.facebook.com/westadelaidefootballclub/posts/10159188608055909

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky Sat May 29, 2021 10:02 pm

RIP Bernie Scanlan gonna miss you mate you were a true friend
blacky

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:57 am

My football friends we lost a great West Adelaide person and a close friend yesterday
West Adelaide Life Member Malcolm  McCracken.
08.07.1935 - 18.06.2021
Loving husband of Barbara for almost 65 years. Cherished father and father-in-law of Geoff and Enrica, Jenny, Bruce, Heather and Brenton. Proud grandfather of Joshua, James and Samantha, Naomi and Jacob, Ben and Sarah, Dominic, Dani. Loved great-grandfather of 7.
Malcolm gave approximately 47 years of service to the club in various roles as a volunteer within the football rooms --- some but not all roles undertaken include Senior & Deputy League Property Steward, Room Steward, Room security and Colour Steward.

RIP - Page 4 12038010

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:50 am

RIP Malcolm, iv'e organized black armbands for this weeks game v the Crows.
firstblood
firstblood

Number of posts : 414
Job/hobbies : The light keeper

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:50 am

Malcolm was the doorman when I started following Westies when I was about 6 years old. He stopped me getting into the players rooms before and after games so many times (which was his job), before getting the all clear to let people in. We'd often strike up a bit of a conversation, and he was usually fairly critical of the umpires. With good reason I reckon. He seemed to be the doorman forever. A lifetime of voluntary service. I hope he gets past the doorman at the pearly gates. RIP Malcolm.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1366

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:16 am

Great comment Alldo --- he used to throw me out also (correctly) when i was a kid LOL

It is amazing how many older members mention this then go on to say what a good guy he was.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:57 pm

RIP Malcom. Was one of the first people I met when I started at the club as a volunteer such a wonderful person. Will be missed. Thank you Malcom

2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 669

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:30 am

Good to see the Club acknowledging the passing of past player, Ken Thorsen, after the disgraceful decision of the previous CEO to not acknowledge Andrew Gribble last year.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:40 pm

Shocked and saddened to hear of the passing of Kerry Carn, a great bloke and wonderful West Adelaide volunteer.

The West Adelaide football Club, Westonian's, WAFC History Group & WAFC Past Players & Officials, morn the sad & sudden loss of Kerry Carn after a short illness.
Kerry Carn will be always be remembered as a hard-working person a genuine good bloke who was worth his weight in gold on any committee he was part of.
If set a task you knew that it would be done, without any fuss & completed perfectly.
He loved his Bloods with a fierce passion & heaven help any person who spoke poorly of them.
A member of the Westonian’s & their treasurer for 25 years, he was rightly awarded the honour of Club & Westonian life membership.
He was also a foundation member of the WAFC history group.
Speaking to many club people, the feeling of loss is enormous.
Kerry will be sadly missed.

Our sincere condolences & thoughts are with Sue the Carn family & all of Kerry's many friends.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:23 pm

I attended Kerry's funeral this afternoon along with family, friends & many West Adelaide people.

I always remember Kerry telling me a few years ago that he had decided to retire as Westonians Secretary after a long stint. I asked him if he would reconsider, as the Club was facing a tough battle at the time.

He said 'yes, if the Club needs me to stay'.

A gentleman and a lovely man.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:22 pm

Just to advise the passing of John Nathan, former timekeeper and father of Luke.

A lovely man and sincere condolences to his family.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:36 pm

It always is the good guys and Jon was definitely a good guy.

From memory a Life Member in 2018.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:49 am

The Funeral Service for John Nathan will be held on Monday January 17th, 2021 at 3:00pm.

The Funeral Service will be conducted in its entirety at the
Alfred James Funeral Home
543 Marion Road
South Plympton

In lieu of floral tributes, a donation to Meals on Wheels Inc.
Would be appreciated. Envelopes will be available at the Chapel.

For further details please visit the Alfred James Marion website.
Live streaming will be available on Monday 17th January at 3:00pm.
Please click on the link below.

https://alfredjames.com.au/funeral-notices/nathan-john-ernest/

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:44 am

https://westadelaidefc.com.au/news/vale-john-nathan/

The West Adelaide Football Club, and Past Players & Officials mourn the passing of Life Member & long time official John Nathan.

John had a tremendous love for the West Adelaide Football Club. In 1995 John was timekeeper for the Under 17’s while his son Luke played under Peter Meuret. His involvement continued in 1996 when he became the reserves timekeeper. In 2003 he took over as league timekeeper, a roll he served in until 2017.

He was deservedly awarded Life Membership of the West Adelaide Football Club in 2018

John Nathan passed away peacefully Thursday 6th January after a long illness. He was 76.

Our sincere condolences & thoughts go out to the Nathan family & friends.

The funeral service for John Nathan will be held on Monday January 17th at 3:00pm.

The Funeral Service will be conducted in its entirety at:
Alfred James Funeral Home
543 Marion Road
South Plympton

In lieu of floral tributes, a donation to Meals on Wheels Inc. would be appreciated. Envelopes will be available at the Chapel.

For further details please visit the Alfred James Marion website.

Live streaming will be available on Monday 17th January at 3:00pm.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:07 pm

Very sad to also advise the passing of Graham Grillett.

From Bernie Conlen

It is with great regret I inform you of the passing of Graham Grillett this morning, 11th January, 2021 age 81.

Graham was a West Adelaide Football Club Board member from 1981 to 1987 and again in 89.
In 1991 saw him as Assistant Property Steward & Reserves Boot Sprigger.

His great friend, Ricky Pink, believes he was an inaugural member of the BBQ team when it was first set up in the late 1970’s.
GG, as he was known to his mates around the club, was a much-loved member of our football community.
In more recent times we saw GG back behind the BBQ match day, not only serving up sausages and onions but a mouth full of
cheek to any of his mates who happen to pass by. Personally, I'm going to miss being loving referred to as “Hey you Little s***”.

Graham will always be remembered for his gravelly voice, dry wit, and sense of humour. He was a close mate. The front bar will be a bit quieter now.

We were lucky to have had GG in our lives.

Our thoughts are with Graham's family, Mo & his many friends.
Vale Graham Grillett.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

:: FORUM :: GENERAL CHAT

Permissions in this forum: