Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

President Update

+5
RODH2
aldo russian
Oldfella
Barkez
Lee Harradine
9 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

President Update Empty President Update

Post by Lee Harradine Wed May 31, 2023 5:05 pm

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2186

Back to top Go down

President Update Empty Re: President Update

Post by Barkez Wed May 31, 2023 5:34 pm

Great appointment John Kantilaftas !!!
Barkez
Barkez

Number of posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Wed May 31, 2023 6:32 pm

So when will the Finacial Director be released

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 1046
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Wed May 31, 2023 9:24 pm

Oldfella wrote:So when will the Finacial Director be released

Don't tell me we've chosen someone who's already in jail?
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1366

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Wed May 31, 2023 9:26 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Wed May 31, 2023 9:27 pm

A very poorly kept secret around the club.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Wed May 31, 2023 9:34 pm

interesting both President and Financial Director retires early a couple of months apart hmm

John Kantilaftas a good appointment

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Wed May 31, 2023 11:25 pm

I mean, who appointed the new President..... Neutral (Nothing against Kanta, wish I could've played footy like him!)
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post by redblack32 Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:52 am

Have you offered your services to kanta yet Lee?
redblack32
redblack32

Number of posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:27 pm

Question for you old fella, our constitutional expert - does the Board have the power to appoint someone not on the Board to the position of President?
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:31 pm

will answer in couple minutes

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:24 pm

Aldo mate,

the answer is not as clearly defined as i hoped as 2 rules seem to potentially be in conflict and really this question needs legal ability better than mine that I believe John Levy would have provided such competent legal advice to the Board.
Further we are Not aware what process the Board actually took.

Where it gets confusing is;

firstly rule 13.3 states Any casual vacancy occurring during the year in the position of any Officer of the Club may be filled by the Board but any person appointed to fill such vacancy will hold office only until the Annual General Meeting following their appointment and shall be eligible for re-election.

but then,

14.10 If the appointment of the President or the Vice President is terminated for any reason before the expiration of their term the Board must appoint another of their members to be the President with the approval of the Nominations Committee or the Vice President as the case may be who will hold office for so long only as the person in whose place they are appointed would have held office if their appointment had not been terminated.

I believe the answer is two part, in the first instance the Board does not have the power to appoint someone not on the Board to the position of President (13.3). However once they appoint a replacement Board Member then the Board can then appoint that person (as a Board Member) to the President position (14.10)

I answered yes based on my belief that John was firstly appointed to the board as a Director under provisions of 13.3 and then as a Board Member was appointed President consistent with 14.10 provisions.

Clear as mud LOL.

Following for information only.

13.1 The Officers of the Club shall be the Patron, Vice Patrons and the Directors;

13.2 Subject to Rule 13.3, the Officers of the Club shall be elected or appointed for the period and in the manner prescribed in Rule 19;

13.3 Any casual vacancy occurring during the year in the position of any Officer of the Club may be filled by the Board but any person appointed to fill such vacancy will hold office only until the Annual General Meeting following their appointment and shall be eligible for re-election.

and

14.10 If the appointment of the President or the Vice President is terminated for any reason before the expiration of their term the Board must appoint another of their members to be the President with the approval of the Nominations Committee or the Vice President as the case may be who will hold office for so long only as the person in whose place they are appointed would have held office if their appointment had not been terminated.

Last edited by Oldfella on Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:24 pm

Best guess sorry took so long mate

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:10 am

The way I read that as provided by Oldfella is...the board can do whatever it pleases and does.
Not the way to run a club or business IMHO.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Sat Jun 03, 2023 4:21 pm

Thanks oldfella, looks like an unconstitutional appointment to me on the face of it.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:20 am

i feel the appointment would stand up in court if done as i suggested.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Coolie Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:48 am

I read with interest the retirement of our President and subsequent appointment of his replacement (a very good one in my opinion) and the questions raised on this forum re the process. The response from the old sage was interesting and was correct IMO.
Having said that, what was missing from the notice put out by the Club and posted on this forum was the term of the appointment – as this can determine under what process a successor can be appointed.
It is not unusual for boards (in the event of short term vacancy) to appoint a successor to an executive position for a short term, to
a. fill the vacancy and
b. such persons be subject to reappointment at the next AGM.
At this time the Nomination Comittee will decide whether to follow formal process and advertise or if they consider the incumbent to be the best option to reappoint for the fixed term under the constitution.
Depending on how you read 14. Where an executive position is “terminated” would suggest reasons other than retirement, but rather by some misdemeanour. This being the case, as stipulated in the Constitution the Nominations Committee can use due process to fill the vacancy.
Don’t you just love constitutions !!!! Pity the announcement from the Club didn’t specify the term etc of the new appointment. Might have saved a bit of angst from the members
Coolie

Number of posts : 64

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:00 pm

thanks mate,

i strongly agree with you that what was missing from the notice put out by the Club and posted on this forum was the term of the appointment.

Based on my presumptions i believe the Johns appointment length is for so long only as the person in whose place they are appointed would have held office if their appointment had not been terminated consistent with 14.10 constitution advice.

Off top of my head Murrays term as President was until AGM 2025 (2+ years) -- could be wrong old old man memory LOL.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:25 pm

Coolie, i agree with 99% of what you say and strongly endorse your comments.

The only one I have issues with is your comment quote "Where an executive position is “terminated” would suggest reasons other than retirement, but rather by some misdemeanor."

This is not quite true as first 2 reasons rule 14.18 states The term of office of a Director of the Board will cease immediately if:- 14.18.1 they resign their office by notice in writing to the Board;
14.18.2 they die. ---- It is my understanding that Murrays resignation fits the 14.18.1 category.

I think it comes down to a personal definition of the meaning for word "terminated" my personal definition is "bring to an end" others may disagree

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:51 pm

First, I think this is an excellent appointment.

Secondly, I have no doubt that 'terminated' is the correct legal term and doesn't imply anything out of order at all.

Thirdly, I am pleased to see another good West Adelaide person appointed to the Board.

Chris Schmidt has also been appointed Vice-President, meaning our President and Vice-President are from our two most recent Premiership teams. I'll research whether this is the first time that has happened.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2186

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:55 pm

Those of you around the Club would have noticed that a fair bit of activity has been happening here at Westies over the last couple of months. Hisense Stadium hosted the SANFL Junior Finals, Amateur Football League Finals, various outside events and functions which has resulted in some busy and fun days. The Melbourne Cup events were well attended as have been the very popular Chew the Fat lunches. The positive feedback is heartening and the Committee are already planning for speakers for 2024.

Training for all teams has commenced and the majority of assistant roles have been filled. We are feeling optimistic about the number of re-signings to date, the quality of new players who will join the Bloods, and overall, we are pretty excited about Season 2024 for both our Women and Mens’ teams. Adam Harlett’s contract has been extended until 2025 which brings further stability to our Club.

Last week, a large number of the West Adelaide community farewelled Luke Jamieson, a popular and completely dedicated supporter. It was touching to see so many people come back to the Club to celebrate his life and put their arms around the family. On behalf of the Bloods community, we also extended our condolences to the family of one of our former Junior Players; Charlie Stevens who tragically passed last weekend.

We have been busy behind the scenes too. Memberships for 2024 are now open, our Sponsors are being locked in, with many opting for longer term contracts and pledging increased support, for which we are very grateful for. Our AGM will be held on Wednesday January 31st 2024. Notices will be distributed across our website, social media platforms and The Advertiser. Further information is listed below.

In May this year, I accepted the Boards offer to complete Murray Forbes presidency until this next AGM, at which time I said I would decide whether to re-nominate for the role. I would like to thank the then outgoing President Murray Forbes for his unwavering commitment to the Club and the efforts he, and retiring, Finance Director Mark Goddard gave to West Adelaide, our players and Members.

Unfortunately, I have decided that I will not seek to nominate for the Presidency of the Football Club past the AGM for 2 reasons; firstly, my work as a sole professional makes it difficult to commit to the time required to fulfil the role, and secondly, for personal reasons that require my attention over the longer term.

I have enjoyed my role for during the last nine months I have been President, -working with the people that do so much for our club. As you know we have many challenges and it requires someone that can afford the time and attention the club needs.

I have offered to continue as the lead and assist the Club in the major re-development of Richmond Oval that is on the West Torrens Council agenda in the near future and to assist in other associated projects.

During this short period we have reviewed the Strategic Plan and will release it to the members shortly This plan will outline the direction the Club will take in 2024 and beyond. Our football plan has begun to demonstrate results on field and our retention of key players supports our direction. Financially, we are working to build a model that reflects a sustainable approach to the way we do business, cater for our Members and sponsors, as well as having the flexibility to attract key players to our Club.

I would like to thank the Board, Conny and the administration for their support and wish the coaches, players and volunteers throughout the club for the 2024 season a successful season.

While I will not be continuing as President, I have over 45 years involvement at West Adelaide and will keep supporting the Club and its’ Community from the sidelines to assist in the redevelopment of Richmond Oval, and any other areas that I can contribute towards.

My passion for West Adelaide has never wavered, and would like to thank our entire Community that shares my enthusiasm in making this Club a proud and successful participant in the SANFL.

John Kantalaftas

2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 669

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:35 pm

simply thanks kanta you legend

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down