Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Members' Forum

+8
aldo russian
Mypaspective
Coolie
mikeme
Wolf Pack
Oldfella
bruce cameron
Lee Harradine
12 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Members' Forum - Page 2 Empty Re: Members' Forum

Post by Mypaspective Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:49 pm

Both of us
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 372

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:25 pm

I am genuinely surprised at how optimistic I am at the start of each season, despite what my experience tells me. I was sure, at the start of this year, that we would improve significantly, and couldn't believe the pundits who tipped us to finish bottom. Maybe I'd be less disappointed if I was less optimistic.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1343

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:03 pm

We’ve won 6 games in 3 years.
We’ve lost Stevens, Duval, Murphy, Dunkin and Lovell in this off season.
Hartlett and Brand are the only A Grade ins at this point.
A fourth consecutive wooden spoon beckons……..
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 782

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:10 pm

Will be interesting tonight.

I believe South will announce a massive profit, so hopefully we will also.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2164

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:18 pm

So, what happened at the Members' forum tonight, (I'm not a member, just a supporter)? Who was there, what transpired, was it a positive evening?
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 363

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:08 pm

I'll do a summary in the morning.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:57 am

There was a good attendance at the Members’ Forum last night. I’ll cover what happened over a few posts for readers’ information.

President Murray Forbes started proceedings with a lengthy, but refreshingly detailed overview of the Club and where we’re at. He asked that all present speak with respect and stressed the idea of unity and ‘stronger together’.

The key points I recall were:

The Club has applied to the Council to relocate the Thebarton Community Clubs to City Mazda Stadium when they have to shift due to the South Road widening. If that happened, patronage would obviously increase.

Murray sp0ent some time on the Club’s financial situation, which unfortunately was difficult. From memory, he said our football operation would have a $150K deficit and the overall Club result would be a small loss for the year. More concerning, he advised that the Club was budgeting for a football operations loss of about $500K, partly due to the extra cost of extra women’s teams and a full U16 season next year and that the overall club result would be about a $350K loss. I may have been a little confused on this, as Murray said we had $240K in cash reserves and after next year that would be minus $100K or so, but I may have misunderstood that.

He said we would be going to the SANFL and asking for financial assistance.

…. Cont’d
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:59 am

Marteine, Membership Director, said our membership of over 1300 contained about 200 Life Members and with over 400 members so far this year, we were above the same time last year.  Derek Bonner gave an overview of our football operations and later went through our recruiting player by player.

Questions sent in by members were then addressed.  My 3 questions started, the first being whether Board Directors had met their KPIs and if so, why were they so low?  Murray advised that some Board Members hadn’t met their KPIs, but he had confidence in them.  My second question was why it had taken the Board 3 years and 3 wooden spoons to discover we were here to play football and then come up with a slogan.  Murray stressed they obviously already knew that but felt the new slogan encapsulated what the Board wanted to define the Club and its values.

My third question was whether the Board regretted the statement posted on Mitch Duval and Elliott Dunkin leaving and whether the Club had investigated the reasons why such players were leaving.  Derek said he stood by the statement and advised that Elliott had left for contract reasons (I think, but may have misheard) and Mitch had left for a better chance to be drafted.

Murray asked if I was happy with his answers and I thanked him.

…. Cont’d

Last edited by Lee Harradine on Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:01 am

Bruce Cameron had sent in some questions, which included asking the President’s messages to be more specific and gave the example of the High-Performance Manager being held up as leaving us in a wonderful position.  Mention was made of 28 hamstring injuries.  

Questions were also addressed about possible extra fund-raising opportunities.
Other topics covered included Covid, the Government handing out millions to the AFL clubs and ignoring the SANFL, whether the 8 Club Presidents should band together and approach the SANFL on behalf of all clubs about relevant matters and whether we were paying coaches large amounts.

Questions were asked about our goals on the playing side and Derek Bonner stated we were in a 3 year plan.

Various other questions were raised and answered appropriately.

After the questions, Robert Day made a statement rather than a question.  He said he hated people being negative about the club and that the current Board was the best Board we had ever had. He said out Football Department was ‘s***’’ years ago and now was excellent.  He then said that if people wanted to be negative, they should leave the Club.

The meeting then ended and I had a pleasant 10-minute chat with Murray Forbes, at which I offered to speak at any Home Match Lunch on Westie's history if it was appropriate.

.... Cont'd

Last edited by Lee Harradine on Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:05 am

My take on the meeting.

We would all agree we are in a very worrying position.  Financially, after the sugar hit of Jobkeeper and government grants, we are obviously unsustainable from our own operations.  The new Board would now understand that the problems aren’t easily fixed.  Our hope lies with the redevelopment of the oval bringing in more clubs and people and a hope that the Thebarton Community Clubs relocate to Richmond Oval.  Whatever happens, we are back to the situation of asking the SANFL for a handout.  My opinion (and Murray also noted this) is that the SANFL have plenty of financial problems themselves first.

Given Murray’s request for a respectful meeting, I felt Robert Day’s contribution to close the meeting was disappointing and divisive.  As a past player, Robert is a hero to all of us, but insulting past Boards and their members was unhelpful.  His comments about previous Football Departments (who gave us a premiership rather than 3 successive wooden spoons was churlish and personal, certainly not respectful or uniting or being stronger together.   It certainly doesn’t make the club a welcoming environment for anyone who doesn’t toe the line that everything is wonderful at Westies.

We have seen one ‘insider’ already tell us to find something else to do with our Saturdays if we don’t like where we are, now we have anyone who asks legitimate, but critical, questions when invited to do so at an open forum being told to leave the club, no matter what service they have given.  I am sure Murray wouldn’t endorse those feelings in his admirable aim to bring the club together.

I hope this summary gives a reasonable overview of the meeting.

Last edited by Lee Harradine on Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:38 am

Lethal, I feel you have given a fair and accurate summary of the meeting.

Things that stuck out to me.

I agree in that I felt Murray was very open in his comments and explained issue to the best of his abilities (acknowledging business confidentiality). I also felt that others who spoke followed his lead/

What you said in regards to financial matters which I admit I do not fully understand reflects what I remember being said --- 60k loss this year and around 250k next year ===== only things you did not mention was new U/16 comp and female reserves side was totally at clubs expense with no support from SANFL to any club at this time ==== another thing that come up was there was a need to spend big $$ on maintenance of our club building hence the attempts to get new facilities via Council upgrade.

Like you I was rather annoyed at what the great man Robert Day said -- at least he said it out in the open rather than quietly whisper whisper in the corner if you know what I mean. ----- IT IS THE RIGHT OF ANY MEMBER TO RAISE OR EXPRESS CONCERNS OR ISSUE IN REGARDS TO THE CLUB end of story ---- a very sad thing

The one thing that did concern me was while there was a good attendance IMO most of those present were 50 or over --- honestly probably over 50% were over 60 --- the age demographics of the club membership is something that urgently needs to change big task but crucial IMO.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 1038
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:42 pm

Well done to the president and the Board for putting on this forum. Topics were discussed in a full and frank manner. Many of the issues were broader SANFL matters and the competition faces serious challenges in the future. For example, over 90 players have left the SANFL since the GF.
Interestingly, the Board looks at the club as a whole, including underage and Womens’ teams whereas we all tend to focus on the mens league team (understandably, I think). The wider club did pretty well in 2021 with 3 teams playing finals.
Not sure if there is more recruiting on the cards but the Football Dept has excelled in this area and needs to be commended for their efforts. We have outperformed all other clubs, not bad for a bottom team. Derek Bonner invited all members to attend training and to see for ourselves.
My take away from the evening was that we have some pretty good people running the show.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 252

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:58 pm

The only way is up, blackandred, you'd think. Not completely sure "we have outperformed all other clubs".
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 363

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:12 am

While a lot has been mentioned that the reserves played finals this year lets put that into perspective....
they finished 5th in an 8 team comp and were belted off the park in the 1 final that they played.
Great that they made finals but is a big half glass full look at it.
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:49 am

mikeme wrote:While a lot has been mentioned that the reserves played finals this year lets put that into perspective....
they finished 5th in an 8 team comp and were belted off the park in the 1 final that they played.
Great that they made finals but is a big half glass full look at it.

Yes, I agree Mikeme. The purpose of the Development Squad and the junior grades is to develop/prepare players to be able to compete at the senior level. Finals success is not necessarily an indicator of this, however at the senior level, it is. Three wooden spoons suggests otherwise.

I was shocked by our thrashing at the hands of Centrals in the Reserves Elimination Final. If I recall correctly, Centrals kicked 14 consecutive goals in this game. We kicked a miserly 3 goals. At the risk of appearing overly negative, like Mike I believe that this achievement does need to be put into perspective. At least 9 players who played in that game have since left the club. We had several experienced players on the park that day. (at least 15 had played at the senior level) We dominated most of the statistics bar three. Despite leading the possession count 323 to 277, we were outpointed on inside 50s (55-39) contested marks (20-eight) and disposal efficiency (78-72%), arguably the three most important statistics. And as Mike pointed out, we finished 5th in an 8 team competition.

Players from this team may well kick on to be useful league footballers, but making the Elimination Final in itself is not necessarily an indicator of the successful development of players.

My comments are not unnecessarily negative, just an honest appraisal of that result. I think that a couple of positives did come out of us making the finals, good experience for developing players and a reality check for the club.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 379
Job/hobbies : Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:31 pm

blackandred wrote:
Not sure if there is more recruiting  on the cards but the Football Dept has excelled in this area and needs to be commended for their efforts. We have outperformed all other clubs, not bad for a bottom team.

I'm surprised by those comments b&r. I'd have thought the quality of South's recruiting, at least on paper, leaves us well behind. It's hard to judge right now but how many players have we recruited who will have an impact at League level next year?
Yes it must be hard to recruit to a consistently bottom club but South haven't won a flag for 57 years and can recruit people like Gibbs, Broadbent, Highmore, Cross, Liddle, Garthwaite and on it goes. I wish we could match that.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:28 pm

blackandred wrote:
Not sure if there is more recruiting  on the cards but the Football Dept has excelled in this area and needs to be commended for their efforts. We have outperformed all other clubs, not bad for a bottom team. Derek Bonner invited all members to attend training and to see for ourselves.
To use horse racing terminology, our stable has acquired 2 group one winners and several provincial performers who are untried on city tracks. They may be burning up the training track, but the only thing that matters is how they perform on race day. Some may need a preparation or two to develop into seasoned racehorses. In short, it is far too early to make a call on this. I remember two seasons ago, similar claims were made and the results have been less than modest. Let's hope for the best without making, as yet, unjustified claims.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 379
Job/hobbies : Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:05 pm

Nice way to put it Bruce, i use the same for my golf....
One shot is a Group 1 and the the next couldn't win a maiden.
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:15 pm

My golf is to drive on the first at Morphettville and play my second from the Plympton Oval rough.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:22 pm

I think recruiting is becoming even more difficult for clubs so it is hard to be too critical.
We really need some of last years group to take the next step.
Maguire, Gore, Meline and Redfern to name a few.

Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 782

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:40 am

I think the real take on the meeting is why our deficit on football will blow out by $350,000 in one year and put us back in a perilous position.

An extra women's team and a longer Under 16 season might add (say) $30K, not $350K.

Anyway, I appreciated that we were given this detailed information.

Last edited by Lee Harradine on Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:46 am

Wolf Pack, I agree with you about recruiting.  It is very difficult, especially when you're at the bottom and don't have wealthy sponsors.

We're doing the right thing recruiting some young players from the TAC Cup for the future  but these lads will take time (think Murray Waite when he first came).

The country lads who are supposedly 'guns' have been playing in much lower leagues.  They will also take time.

The big ruckman played for Keilor previously and might be a couple of years off playing consistent league.

I think our defence and attack, barring injuries, will be reasonable, but at this stage our ruck and midfield looks very doubtful.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:30 am

Somehow the Eagles and South consistently recruit multiple quality players with these reduced salary caps. However they're doing it, we need to replicate it. (And it's not simply because the Eagles are winning premierships, that doesn't help you fit players under the cap.) That should be a priority for the club.
And if this $350K deficit eventuates, you have to ask where this best board we've ever had is taking us.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:50 am

A deficit of $250k next year is very concerning and if that’s the case you would think other SANFL Clubs will follow suit.
I think it’s very important the club can get the Thebarton Community Club to relocate and we can generate more revenue with the oval upgrade, it’s vital for our survival.

As far as recruiting goes I think Hartlett and Brand would have taken up the majority of our Recruiting budget this year.
I agree with ‘Wolfpack’ the players such as Maguire, Gore, Meline and Redfern need to improve next year.

Maguire came to us with a good reputation at NEAFL level and a player who could find the ball. He was extremely disappointing this year, he seems to lack a yard of pace at this level. He really needs to have a very good pre-season.

Meline played some handy games this year and averaged  around 20 disposals per game. He makes good decisions, but again as a midfielder he needs to find more of the footy. He also needs to have a big pre-season.

Gore had a few good games, but his season was ruined somewhat with a major hamstring injury. I Would like him to play further up the ground next year, perhaps on the wing.

Redfern I like this kid should have played many more league games this year. Do we play him at half back in place of Dunkin or to we play him in the midfield. Personally I would play him in the midfield he has pace and can break away from stoppages very quickly.
Our leg speed in the midfield is poor.

Last edited by Lachlan on Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 1011

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:52 pm

Good points, Lachlan.

For interest, I believe it's South's AGM Monday night and I predict they will announce a huge profit.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next