Members' Forum Empty Members' Forum

Post by Lee Harradine Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:26 am

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1665

Back to top Go down

Members' Forum Empty Re: Members' Forum

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:46 pm

Since this post, a new advert for the Forum has been posted.

Now it says members' questions should be submitted before the meeting!

Not sure why that is, surely questions from members could be answered at the time.

Anyway, let's do them a favour and send in some questions.

I'll get the ball rolling soon, but the Club needs people to be engaged and put up questions.

Fire away on here and we'll forward them.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:50 pm

1.  To the Finance Director - what is the anticipated profit result for the last financial year?

2. To the Board - why has it taken nearly 3 years and 3 wooden spoons for the Board to discover the purpose of the Club is to play football?

3. To the President - has each director met their KPIs and if so, what are those KPIs?

I'd say there are many more questions members would like answered.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:42 am

To the Membership Director - Could you please list our membership numbers in the various categories. Total membership numbers are displayed (sometimes) on the Club's Home Page, but I'm sure members would like to see the breakdown. These could be linked to the Membership tab. Is there any reason this can't be done?

The re-development of the Richmond Oval precinct should provide opportunities for the Football Club to raise its profile and increase income. How does the club plan to exploit these opportunities?

Is the Club exploring new ways to generate revenue and raise awareness? eg Offering gym memberships to existing members and the general public. Maybe a gym membership could be part of a new category of membership. A Westies mobile coffee van could help generate income and raise awareness. The van could be open for business whenever there is an event in the Richmond precinct. At other times it could operate within the West Torrens Council area. (Outside libraries, Council Chambers, Schools etc ) We could ask Mayor Coxon for support etc. Memberships could also be sold from the van. Volunteers could be used to keep overheads to a minimum.

The Club is in the process of rebuilding its senior men's team.  Has a timeframe been put in place for our return to playing finals football?

Can the President be more specific when posting messages to members? Too often general statements are made with absolutely no details whatsoever. eg He (Danny Deigan) has made a significant impact on all our teams and the Club is in an amazing position moving forward off the back of what he was able to implement with his experiences working in elite sporting teams. I have no idea what this significant impact is.

Last edited by bruce cameron on Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 272

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:01 pm

Guys, to have your question responded too you need to send them to the club by email

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 832
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:04 pm

I can email to the Club when posters finish asking.

I'm sure anyone turning up will still be able to ask questions, surely?
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:24 pm

Like you I am a bit bemuse but after thinking about it have a bit of a guess. To ask for pre question gives time to prepare so makes sense also had thought that they want to know what information members want --- best guess is each Director will give a talk and take question followed by President taking any other questions without notice. I would be very surprised if Members attending do not get a chance to ask question and adequate time for all to do so --- time will tell LOL.

In terms of questions I have basically Bruce and you read my mind but I do have two for you to include.

It is obvious that football has been on back burner for two years can they advise if Football Operations now has a higher priority and can they advise if all limitation on the salary cap (both SANFL and club imposed) have been rescinded so that the full Salary Cap is available

Secondly, is the club under any imposition, threat or pressure from the SANFL to do things at the risk of losing financial support if the do not comply (example withhold Footy Park money) ---- if so what!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 832
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:08 pm

Salary Caps have not returned to Pre - COVID levels.
That is Fact.
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 584

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:42 pm

Board members shouldn't need to prepare for questions unless they are seeking extra information that requires research. I'm sure they're on top of their portfolios enough to answer all other questions without notice.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:31 am

With the salary cap restrictions now basically halved there should be a "windfall" of money. What plans has the club for improvements for the members inside or outside the club venue?
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:21 pm

mikeme wrote:With the salary cap restrictions now basically halved there should be a "windfall" of money. What plans has the club for improvements for the members inside or outside the club venue?

What about an opportunity to improve an existing area and raise some funds at the same time. With all the planned work scheduled for the new year, could a paving project be used as a fundraiser similar to the one planned by Goody Saints FC. Each paver costs $150 and is tax deductible. See link below for info regarding GSFC fundraiser.

https://goodwoodsaints.com.au/paversfundraiser

Does anyone think this is a good idea?
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by Coolie Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:49 pm

Top idea Bruce. Would be good way to connect with members and have them feel they are part of the future. I’m in.
Coolie

Number of posts : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by Coolie Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:58 pm

Re members forum. I’d like them to address what I see as the elephant in the room. Ie the erosion of our competition by curtailing to the two afl interlopers. The gap between the have and have nots is only going to get wider. The capacity of the “poorer” clubs to compete for players and the erosion of the quality of the game by introducing ridiculous rules adopted by the AFL. augers not well for the future.
Why don’t the boards consult members when SANFL want to make changes to the fabric of the competition or are they happy to roll over - “To be lead by the nose as asses are”
Coolie

Number of posts : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:15 pm

Re the pavers:

It's a good idea.  It was done before and as you enter the building, there are a number of pavers engraved with donors' names.

Also, behind the bunker on the oval in front of the stand, there are also donors' names for 'Bench Members'.

I donated to both and proud to have my name on them.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:44 pm

Lee is spot on. The paver idea or similar has been used at least 3 times in the past at Westies.
Including the engraved floor tiles on both sides of the Hall of Fame which raised thousands of dollars when we upgraded the HOF approx 15 yrs ago.

Might be worth another go but the club can’t keep going back to same people who have been digging deep for the past four decades.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 372

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:55 am

Mypaspective wrote:Lee is spot on. The paver idea or similar has been used at least 3 times in the past at Westies.
Including the engraved floor tiles on both sides of the Hall of Fame which raised thousands of dollars when we upgraded the HOF approx 15 yrs ago.

Might be worth another go but the club can’t keep going back to same people who have been digging deep for the past four decades.

Thanks MP. The previous CEO made the same comment about going back to the same people. Fair enough, but maybe finding a way in for those who have less disposable incomes might be a smart move. Coolie made an excellent point above. Would be good way to connect with members and have them feel they are part of the future. I’m in.

So rather than asking the same people to dig deep, it might be a good idea to offer all members a chance to donate and have their donation recognised by an individual paver, or similar. As Coolie points out, we could all feel part of the future. It could help re-enforce the slogan, stronger together.

The Bench Membership plaques on the back of the bunker demonstrate that the numbers taking up the offer were small, and no doubt include those who dig deep often. I was interested in having my name added to the list, but the buy in was too steep at the time. (I did add a payment to my membership in support of the bench idea for a couple of years before the opt in box disappeared off membership forms.) The paver idea has a lot of merit. It would provide all members with an opportunity to buy in. (those with plentiful funds could purchase several) It would send a message to members that they are valued. Members would feel as though they have made a contribution and have that contribution recognised. (not something that has always happened in the past)

A PR exercise as much as a fundraiser.

Along with Coolie, if it happens, I'm in.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:06 am

My point about extra funds seems to be lost in making more donations... we should not have to.
Salary cap has been cut by around $200K so that should leave excess funds of around $200k that were previously budgeted for (and mostly found) each year. What is happening to the extra money?
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:38 am

mikeme wrote:My point about extra funds seems to be lost in making more donations... we should not have to.
Salary cap has been cut by around $200K so that should leave excess funds of around $200k that were previously budgeted for (and mostly found) each year. What is happening to the extra money?

Mike, it wasn't my intention to ignore your point and it's certainly a question members are entitled an answer to. I also would like to know how it is going to be used, however I am interested in as many members as possible getting their names on a paver (or similar) rather than an excuse for a fundraiser. Maybe a paver could be a gift to those members who buy a full membership or at least heavily subsidised.

bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:23 am

I attended a get together of the Australian Society of Sporting Historians at the club last night, as I do each month.

On a Wednesday night, there were perhaps 4 people at the bar, then none after an hour or so, while perhaps 5 people were eating meals.

What has happened to our clientele? Where have they gone? Perhaps someone who is there more often than me can reassure us that numbers are OK?
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:03 pm

I helped arrange the SANFL League Life Members Christmas function at the club last Sunday. There were 50 people attending & the day was very successful. The meal & service was great & we received very positive feedback from many of the attendees which was really nice.  It made me feel proud I must say.

I spoke at length to Kayla (Licensed club & Functions Mgr) and she assured me that the licensed facility was holding up well since football finished plus we continue to secure many regular functions to keep the kitchen & bar turnover busy.

I guess the Annual report in Feb will demonstrate how the licensed club has performed over the 12 months not forgetting interruptions from Covid.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:05 pm

That's good.  My meal was nice, but perhaps Wednesday is a bad night now for numbers.

I'll wait for the figures as you suggest, but my query was about patrons attending, not functions.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:08 pm

I have been at a few random times (generally lunchtime or after 4pm) & there have been a reasonable number of patrons in the bar.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:57 pm

Mypaspective wrote:I have been at a few random times (generally lunchtime or after 4pm) & there have been a reasonable number of patrons in the bar.

That's good to hear Mypaspective. Given our results though, I assume they're drinking to forget.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1085

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:40 am

Always optimistic Aldo
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down