2007-08, 2020-21 comparison

5 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

2007-08, 2020-21 comparison  Empty 2007-08, 2020-21 comparison

Post by redblack32 Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:20 pm

I feel that many of us that are on here posting about the current predicament of the club, most likely would of been posting the same things back in 07-08 when we were in a very similar position as we are now.

Now we know the current board set up is different to then. We don’t need to go over this again

But sitting back and thinking, how did we get out of the horrors of 07-08.
I see similarities with the junior programs between the 2 eras.
07-08 we had a talented young group coming through, correct me if I’m wrong but I believe it was still the under 17, 19 concept back then.
Shoot forward to now, we have a talented group of under 18’s coming through.

In 07 we were a laughing stock like we are now.
Wayne weidemann got the sack half way through the year but continued on. And just threw our talented group of youngsters coming through into the league side and exposed them.
Blessing, Caire, green, Wilson, Fisher, Schmidt, Buckley, Fielke, Webb were all playing in our league team by the end of the year.
Caire and Buckley prob the most experienced of the lot with 10-15 games each.
The wins weren’t there, but we were blooding these kids. (Geeenshoots?)

So first up, I sit back and wonder why we didn’t blood these talented youngsters we have at the moment?
Not sure about every one on here, but we won 2 games this year. I personally would of been much happier watching us give the talented youngsters a taste then watching what we did this year.

Next thing I ponder is. Out of this 20-21 youngsters. How many true west Adelaide people/players do we have? How many have the drive to push through the tough times we are experiencing now to bring success for the club?
In 07-08 there was more then few, so fingers crossed we have the same now.

Now I’m not going to use Schmidt, Webb, and Helbig to an extent.
Those 3 a true blue west Adelaide people and players. But cause those boys went on to the AFL I’m not going to use them here.

Buckley, Caire, fisher, blessing, Fielke, green.
Now end of 08 if memory serves me correct.
Buckley left. Could of been anything in my opinion, Magery medalist possibly.
Fisher left, could been a dominate CHF, FF I believe
Blessing left, state under 18 captain of SA.

This left Caire, Green, Fielke.
Talented youngsters who didn’t quite crack the next level.
I sit here and wonder why they stayed through those terrible years of 07-08. There draft year had been an gone, but they stayed.
I think about this with the likes of Schiller, Hill, Middleton aswell.

Could have moved clubs i would think, certainly could have chased money in country.

Would be and interesting chat to sit down with them and ask why they stayed and others left?
My personal answer, with out knowing.
Did they stay cause of the taste of league during those dark years of 07-08?
Or are they just through and through West Adelaide people?
Bit of both I think.

Then bring in those other West Adelaide people, Schmidt, Webb, helbig.
Rest is history.

So I guess, and ask.
Who are our Schmidt’s, Caire’s, greens, Webb’s, Fielke’s of this next crop coming through?
Has the club made a mistake in not blooding them in the terrible year gone and continued to play people like Duval, Dunkin etc who obviously don’t carry the Weat Adelaide mantra and are more about them selves as per the email from the club?

Interesting times ahead.
But I implore the club to invest the time and blood the youngsters so they stay and want to be a part of getting the club going in the right direction.
And hope the youngsters have it them to stick the course instead of taking the easy road like Duval, Dunkin, turner, Durdin etc
redblack32
redblack32

Number of posts : 38

Back to top Go down

2007-08, 2020-21 comparison  Empty Re: 2007-08, 2020-21 comparison

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:48 pm

What a good post.

I agree with a lot of that, especially about the younger players. The other factor which wS huge, IMO, was the appointment of Andrew Collins, who changed the culture and brought in Lifan Hill and particularly Ryan Ferguson.

Let's hope Brad Gotch can have a similar effect.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1665

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:32 am

The problem is that we aren’t going to get the same quality recruits this time around.
As mentioned, Ferguson, Hill, The Caruso Brothers, Steve Morris, Shane Birss and there were probably a couple more. They were all A Grade Players.
As it sits at the moment we hardly have any A Grade players in the squad.
Most have left the club.

Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 584

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:31 am

Some recruits tend to be forgotten quickly.  As an aside, did we recruit a ruckman for one year - Shane Neaves, also from Melbourne?

Duval and Dunkin are huge losses, as our defence still looked OK and held up pretty well last year, considering the pressure they were under. With those 2 and Ryan, Hill, etc, it looked OK.  The gaps now are 6the 2 back pockets and a half-back. Let's hope Hartlett is still a chance and perhaps Redfern slots in nicely.

Forward is still a player or two short.  Keough is now our best player, let's hope Beechy is fit and finds form and Ellem and Lemmey develop. That's the 'talls' covered, our smalls are lacking, so we'd look to one or two of our recruits.

Ruck and midfield is a big problem. Ruck would be a recruiting priority and isn't easy to fill, but our mid-field was lacking last year and we've lost Stevens and LOvell (only played some games).  Our mid-field now is Fairlie, Squire, Boyle perhaps (probably forgot someone here).  Compared to the top teams midfields, we're well short.

Of our rceruits so far, Delahunty could fill a defensive spot, the two lads from the TAC Cup will take time and the other two need to be seen before judging.

There's room to develop Steen and Young, IMO.

Let's hope if all clicks and we find a hidden gem, we might improve a bit.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1665

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:15 am

We are extremely vulnerable to injuries in our top 5/6 -- the loss of any of those will have a huge impact sadly

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 832
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:39 pm

Brand will play CHB
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 840

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:52 pm

I agree our defence was good this year and to lose Murphy,Duval and Dunkin is a real problem.

Brand will play CHB and he will be good for us. I agree Delahunty will slot into Duval’s spot. We need to find 2 running half backs to replace Murphy and Dunkin, perhaps Redfern is the answer ,however our midfield is a real problem and I think he should be tried there first.

Our midfield is the worst in the comp with Stevens and Lovell going,we have signed Mattingly and Carmichael both midfielders. They are coming from inferior comps and generally these type of players aren’t fit enough for the SANFL in their first season.

Maguire who came to the club this year with a good reputation as a midfielder was very disappointing,he needs to get fitter, he needs to fire next year.
I like Meline, he had a fewinjuries this year, he also needs to get fitter and find more of the ball.

We badly need to Recruit an experienced
RUCKMAN
2 Very good Midfielders
2 running half backs
A KEY FORWARD

Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 840

Back to top Go down

Post by redblack32 Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:52 pm

I think brand is going to be good for us.
He is what I think is a “west Adelaide” person
Coming back from his AFL career I think he is here for the right reasons
We just need to throw the youngsters in that don’t get picked up
And hope beech, Keough, hill. Can play the role of Ferguson, piasente, Chubb etc
That thought gives me hope
redblack32
redblack32

Number of posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum