Lee Harradine
Oldfella
Lachlan
8 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Duval Empty Duval

Post by Lachlan Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:03 pm

Mitch Duval has also left the club,I cannot believe what is happening to our playing list.
Members have just received an email advising us of this.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 840

Back to top Go down

Duval Empty Re: Duval

Post by Oldfella Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:17 pm

LIST UPDATE – Mitch Duval & Elliot Dunkin

This week the West Adelaide Football Club lost two talented footballers. Both chose to walk away from the club that gave them their senior opportunity. I want to let the members & supporters know that both players were offered comprehensive playing contracts for 2022 but they chose not to accept them. They chose themselves over the playing group, coaches, support staff and you our loyal members and supporters.

We will move on and focus on the players that have committed to this great club and are invested in our plan which is to play finals football and build sustained success.

I want to assure you all the Football Department is working hard to develop our list, we will announce additional signings over the coming weeks and we are excited about the current and emerging talent at our club.

STRONGER TOGETHER

Derek Bonner
Football Director

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 832
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:20 pm

Would love to know exactly what  this actually means -- They chose themselves over the playing group, coaches, support staff and you our loyal members and supporters. ?????

Another club??

Credit to club for putting this to members in an open manner!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:23 pm

Oh wow, this is disappointing.  It's fair enough to have a crack at them, but it's more important to understand the reasons why they have left.

This is reaching crisis level for our Club. I hope the talk of new signings is about significant players.  At this stage, talk of excitement and finals is hard to accept as reality.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1665

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:24 pm

Well said Lethal especially "it's more important to understand the reasons why they have left"

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:38 pm

There is no doubt in my mind they have left to join another club.

I agree it’s good the Football Director has sent an email, mind you he needed to.

Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 840

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:46 pm

Gee whiz!!
We are in more trouble than the early settlers!
This mass exodus of players shows that all is not well at our footy club!
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 584

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:59 pm

Lachlan wrote:There is no doubt in my mind they have left to join another club.

I agree it’s good the Football Director has sent an email, mind you he needed to.

Sending an email is the least to be done.   As Wolf Pack says, we are in more trouble than the early settlers. Bottom and 2 wins last year, lost 5 of our best 8 players, recruited one so far.

Let's hope there are several more to come, but that is difficult whoever is doing the recruiting.

Not much to look forward to ATM.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:52 pm

This is disastrous. I can't remember a bigger exodus of good players from our club in one year before. It's hardly a vote of confidence in the coach/football department is it.
One question for the club to answer is why is this happening?
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1085

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:51 pm

This is very worrying.

Our 2 main recruits last year were Murphy and Lovell. Both gone in 1 year, with Lovell being injured after a very high possession game, then not even selected when available and finishing in the Reserves for several games. No surprise he left after that, whatever the real story there

Our 2 best young players were Dunkin and Duval. Other clubs, seeing us implode, would be circling like hyenas around a wounded warthog. An easy pitch, unfortunately.

' What do you want next year? A chance for a premiership with us or stay at West and get thumped every week?'

That's not disloyalty, that's hard football business fact.

Well done to those who are staying. I have high regard for them - Josh Ryan and many others.

At the top end, I have always admired Tom Keough, Logan Hill and Jono Beech, but they are all over 30 (? Jono).

The other question is where is our Football Manager, everything seems to be coming from the Football Board Member, Derek Bonner, alone.

I fear for our future and talk of excitement, finals and sustained success is a bit unrealistic right now.

Instead of bagging players, the Club needs to answer the question, as aldo says, of why is this happening?

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:10 pm

Can someone please point me in the direction of the 'green shoots'?
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1085

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:52 pm

Whilst it is disappointing to lose the players we have, who can blame anyone for wanting to play their football somewhere else.
We have been at the bottom of the ladder for six years!
Time for the Leaders of the club to step up and get us out of the mess we are in.

Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:15 am

We won 4 of the last 5 games in 2017, then won 8 games and finished 7th in 2018.

So they sacked the Board Smile
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by jmc80 Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:22 am

Since the flag, West have been 10th, 9th, 7th, 10th, 8th (of Cool and 10th. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot happening that would buck that trend.
jmc80
jmc80

Number of posts : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:24 am

So Duval to the Eagles and Dunkin to South is what has been floated on other boards…..
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:48 pm

Who are our top 5 players left now?

Who make up our midfield, before we count recruits?

Ruck?

I would get games into Lemmey, Young, etc.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by redblack32 Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:00 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:
So they sacked the Board Smile

Let it go Lee 🤦🏼‍�

As for Duval, very disappointing
Given a chance by a us. Then walks out in our hour of need
redblack32
redblack32

Number of posts : 38

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:10 pm

The easy way for all of us is to let it go, rb32.

Perhaps it's also because I'm writing our history, but it was a momentous decision to change the Constitution. It changed the 'culture' of the Club hugely, as it was designed to do. It may come to be be seen in the future along with the 1921 and 1962 decisions.

Westies have a tradition of accepting things and not learning lessons and that needs to change.

A footy club survives on its members' passion for the club and I'd suggest many members are frustrated at what has transpired and what is happening now. Many lifetime members are barely hanging in, players and staff seems to be a revolving door and the future looks difficult to say the least.

There is no doubt about the loyalty to the Club of most posters on here and that includes me, a lifetime supporter and volunteer who has finished with involvement but wants us to succeed. There have been too many years of 'next year will be better'. As difficult as it seems, members need to be heard, not just accept change that has us in this position.

Our best players are leaving, so something is wrong. I'd like to see the reasons addressed, otherwise the same thing will keep happening.

Last year Turner to Glenelg and plays far better, Durdin to Glenelg instead of us.

This year, Stevens retired, Murphy back to Melbourne, Dunkin to another club, Duval to another club. To me, that signifies a problem and the events of the past several years is relevant, IMO.

Anyway, I take your point and always enjoy what you post.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:51 pm

How can they just go to another club? Surely West have to give them a clearance or does the SANFL just override that and allow it to happen? I can understand it a bit if they want to go back to there suburban or country town club but within the SANFL??
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 257

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:44 pm

If they are out of contract, they can go.

The Club they go to has to pay a transfer fee, which is calculated by a formula taking into account a number of factors.

Dunkin's fee would be bigger than Duval's, I'd guess but neither would be huge.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:08 am

Of course silly me they are semi professional aren't they. Must really kill a club to put players through their junior program up to league level then see them leave for more money.
One consolation though is every other club is having the same problem. I read an article lately and it said all SANFL clubs are facing a mass exodus of top players. Is the salary cap too low? It appears the SANFL can't match anywhere near some country clubs match payments.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 257

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:31 am

Good point. I think it's also the time commitment for players. 3 nights a week training, Sunday morning rehab, pre-season grind, club function and other football commitments and of course, lower salary cap and not winning.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum