Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Season 2021

+3
Lachlan
Wolf Pack
Lee Harradine
7 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Season 2021 Empty Season 2021

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:49 pm

In the absence of an end-of-year report so far, this is what I'd like to read from the club.

Feel free to suggest what you would amend or add:

TO OUR MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS

We have just completed a season which fell far short of the standards we set and expect. Our coaches and players worked as hard as possible to ensure success, but it is obvious that the depth of talent on our playing list is not sufficient to achieve that, no matter how hard we work.

Our top priority, well above managing our financial position, is to refresh our playing list to make us once again more competitive at first, then to able to challenge for finals and premiership success. To do this, we obviously need to recruit top-end talent and bring our best juniors into senior football.

Recruiting very talented players is difficult at the best of times and will be even more difficult now, given our recent poor performances. We can't shy away from that, but we will do our utmost to recruit some quality players. In conjunction with our coaches, we will set a program to promote our best juniors through to senior football. This will involve some short-term pain on the field, but less pain than you, our supporters, have had to endure more often than not in recent years.

We will also engage more closely with our zone clubs to raise our profile at both senior and junior football, men and women, girls and boys.

We won’t ask you to ‘stick with us’. We know that most of you have already done that, in many cases for a lifetime and your support is appreciated and valued above all else.

Finally, we will engage far more closely with our members and supporters with regular communication on our progress with the above plan and club news as it happens. Our club has a proud history. We haven’t met our KPIs in recent seasons and that must change.

We will do our utmost to make that happen.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2164

Back to top Go down

Season 2021 Empty Re: Season 2021

Post by Wolf Pack Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:57 pm

Season 2021 would probably be the worst that I have seen in my 35 years of following this club.
We need a HUGE recruiting drive to just get us competitive again.
It’s hard to get excited for next year, given how terrible we are at the moment. Lots of players at our club that are not good enough at SANFL level.
Since the Premiership in 2015.
108 Games Played.
21 wins.
Absolutely appalling.
Can we turn it around. I’m not so sure…..
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 782

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:01 pm

13 of those 21 were in 2017 and 2018.

4 of the last 5 in 2017, then 8 wins in Gavin Colville's first season.

6 wins in 3 seasons since the change of Board after that.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:25 pm

Your post is spot on. The lack of communication is alarming and it must change.

I would really like a report from the Football Director, we have had nothing from him. He and Gotch should post a video on what the club is doing to turn things around.

I was hoping we would improve this year.,but we have gone backwards

Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 1011

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:09 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:In the absence of an end-of-year report so far, this is what I'd like to read from the club.

Feel free to suggest what you would amend or add:

TO OUR MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS

We have just completed a season which fell far short of the standards we set and expect.  Our coaches and players worked as hard as possible to ensure success, but it is obvious that the depth of talent on our playing list is not sufficient to achieve that, no matter how hard we work.

Our top priority, well above managing our financial position, is to refresh our playing list to make us once again more competitive at first, then to able to challenge for finals and premiership success.  To do this, we obviously need to recruit top-end talent and bring our best juniors into senior football.

Recruiting very talented players is difficult at the best of times and will be even more difficult now, given our recent poor performances.  We can't shy away from that, but we will do our utmost to recruit some quality players.  In conjunction with our coaches, we will set a program to promote our best juniors through to senior football.  This will involve some short-term pain on the field, but less pain than you, our supporters, have had to endure more often than not in recent years.

We will also engage more closely with our zone clubs to raise our profile at both senior and junior football, men and women, girls and boys.

We won’t ask you to ‘stick with us’. We know that most of you have already done that, in many cases for a lifetime and your support is appreciated and valued above all else.

Finally, we will engage far more closely with our members and supporters with regular communication on our progress with the above plan and club news as it happens.  Our club has a proud history.  We haven’t met our KPIs in recent seasons and that must change.

We will do our utmost to make that happen.

Agree wholeheartedly, Lee. I have raised the issue of poor/lack of communication many times, on this forum, meetings with the CEO/President and at the last AGM. Communication is irregular and focuses on deflecting criticism. It contains platitudes which are meaningless. Lee's example contains a factual admission of failure despite the best efforts of those involved. It identifies the club's weaknesses and pledges to take the appropriate action. It also promises to engage more closely with our members and supporters. With an appointed board, it is up to the key leaders of the club to ensure all participants are meeting their KPIs.

I think it is reasonable for members to expect regular updates throughout the summer. (review by the Football Director/Coach, new CEO profile and statement of intent, signings, de-listings, new appointments, progress of the Richmond Oval re-development AND a President's Message to Members after each and every board meeting (as promised) I would also like to know what action the club has taken to ensure members get their packs in time for Round 1. We need to feel valued, particularly in these difficult times.

Last edited by bruce cameron on Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 379
Job/hobbies : Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:04 am

Can't disagree with any of the above. What we are likely to get (eventually) is statements of the board working hard,etc,etc, please pay your membership for 2022 and any donations are welcome. Statements of new recruits on the way/ or in talks with the club (mostly from country or 3rd tier leagues mind you) and giving us all hope for the next  season. By the way pay your membership thanks.
By round 3 we all discover it was all a myth as we settle in for another year at the bottom. But with a board and footy department working so hard for us all,blah,blah blah. Oh did I mention please renew your membership?
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:06 am

A good comparison between a lethargic club going nowhere and a club that strives for success is us and Port Adelaide (unfortunately because I really do dislike the bast#@$s ) however.....
Port lost one game last weekend dropping them out of the premiership race this year. All week we have had apologies from their President to the members with statements that it is totally unacceptable etc ,etc, and from their football department stating it was an abomination and so forth with statements about how they are addressing their failings. Supporters (some) are calling for the coach to be sacked the board to be sacked and so forth. Putting the feral element aside that is the passion they have for their club and the demand that they win.
Now look at Westies. We have just spend the last 3 years languishing on the bottom and have not been looking like improving even.  What response does our board have about a much  bigger abomination ? Well the answer we all know is a belated message of motherhood statements of how hard they are working and so forth. After all it is only a game so doesn't matter is the feeling we members get. We do not have a winning culture and haven't since the 1960's.
If we are to get off the bottom this has to change. From the Board who MUST LEAD, the footy department who must SHOW IMPROVEMENT from that, to us members who must get behind the club and SUPPORT and DEMAND success. It won't work from the bottom up as the members have no way of changing anything anymore since going to an appointed board.
If we don't manage to do it the club is dead IMHO.
I know Port are now an AFL club so not comparing apples with apples but the passion and effort must be the same. Norwood, North and Eagles have bad years too but unlike us are never down for long.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:32 am

TAAARS wrote:
If we are to get off the bottom this has to change. From the Board who MUST LEAD, the footy department who must SHOW IMPROVEMENT from that, to us members who must get behind the club and SUPPORT and DEMAND success. It won't work from the bottom up as the members have no way of changing anything anymore since going to an appointed board.
If we don't manage to do it the club is dead IMHO.
I know Port are now an AFL club so not comparing apples with apples but the passion and effort must be the same. Norwood, North and Eagles have bad years too but unlike us are never down for long.

The choice of a new CEO will be crucial to this process. Apart from the requisite skills, we need someone who is determined to drive the club forward, insist that KPIs are met, values all members/supporters and understands the importance of good communication. Above all, someone who is driven by his/her passion for the club. Someone who can draw those members/supporters back who have become disenfranchised/dissatisfied by the club's lack of success.

TAARS' passion is what the club needs at every level. I don't think that he is overstating the case.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 379
Job/hobbies : Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:44 am

Unfortunately, 'passion' became a dirty word at Westies in recent years.

It was regarded as a euphemism for not being business-like.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:27 am

I think you've hit on a good idea here Lee. In the absence of communication from the club I think we should write our own, right across the pre-season, including reports on training, recruiting and board initiatives.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1343

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:26 am

Yep, we can do that.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:27 pm

Good post, aldo, but "initiatives by the Board".........!? Rolling Eyes Shocked
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 363

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:46 pm

I didn't say they had to be long pieces RODH2.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1343

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:53 pm

aldo russian wrote:I didn't say they had to be long pieces RODH2.
Very Happy Season 2021 1f604
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 363

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down