RODH2
aldo russian
15 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

West v Sturt - Page 2 Empty Re: West v Sturt

Post by aldo russian Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:46 pm

Well bruce cameron I for one agree about the coach's reports. They are perfunctory and feel like they're done under sufferance. Recounting moments in the game sheds no new light on what went wrong or right, why it went wrong or right and what we're actually trying to do. I want more from them, especially given we get nothing from anyone else in the football department, and rarely anything from the board or CEO.

We have a new coach, a dozen new recruits and a new high performance manager and we have nothing to show for it. Regular and meaningful communication is needed to create a sense of unity, otherwise the supporter base splinters as we're all left to deal with the pain individually.

The President, in his recent message, asked for patience. I didn't think he was referring to when we'd kick our next goal.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1056

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:03 pm

Standing in the crowd yesterday, Sturt had a lot more supporters at the game.
I think even the most loyal and die hard supporters have had enough of the absolute rubbish that is dished out from our side.
I still cannot believe that we failed to score 1 goal in a game of footy.
As has been mentioned, the players look flat, confused and at times yesterday disinterested.
I am sick to death of our side being outnumbered EVERY time we go forward. It’s poor coaching and shows that our players don’t run hard enough or to the right spots on the ground. Sturt were able to link up and our blokes were jogging behind them at times.
Will be interesting to see what response we get from the club this week……
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 556

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:35 pm

I don’t believe the coach writes those reports given the way they are written.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 811

Back to top Go down

Post by Bottle Top Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:05 am

The most disappointing recruit this year is without doubt Brad Gotch.

a more attacking game plan he spruiked at the start of the year!

when all is lost at 3/4 time, DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT! the game plan should be thrown out the window, the magnet board tossed in the air and caution thrown to the wind....

without a doubt the worst game of football i have ever witnessed.
i actually felt embarrassed for the players.

Bottle Top
Bottle Top

Number of posts : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by loppy19 Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:22 am

I did not watch the game, but glad I did not.
All I will say is that if this is the result of 3 years under the current regime and the "green shoots", then I will say that I wont be watching again. I just cant do it anymore, too many years of humiliation with 1-2 good ones in there is simply not enough. My old man wont go, my kids laugh at how bad West are and dont want to go. I honestly cant blame them.

The coach has 1/3 of what he needs for a league team, the issue is that we have not improved but have definitely gone backwards as the year has progressed. The best players are all another year older, I dont see any good league players we have developed in the last 3 years bar 4-5. Not many green shoots I can see.
The SANFL is losing relevance as a comp, West are the most irrelevant club in the comp. At this rate, we may be good in 5-7 years but I also fear we may not exist. The Board and president need to man up and own this performance, but instead we dont get any post on Reserves or League result at all on Facebook, so dont hold your breath there- perhaps they hope it will go away and be forgotten.

By the way, I have no allegiance to this board or old board or whatever, I just want to see a decent football team on the park but fear I may not see that again at Richmond. Someone needs to show some acountability and something needs to change as what is in place still does not work.
loppy19
loppy19

Number of posts : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:48 am

Very well said loppy19, I just don't know what members and supporters can actually do about the situation.
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 266

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:46 pm

Statement from the Club this afternoon on the main site and FB....I'd link it, but we have heard it all before............ One opinion.
RODH2
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by macca Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:06 pm

RODH2 wrote:Statement from the Club this afternoon on the main site and FB....I'd link it, but we have heard it all before............ One opinion.
only my opinion but if you were a member you would have got am email Laughing
macca
macca

Number of posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:09 pm

macca wrote:
RODH2 wrote:Statement from the Club this afternoon on the main site and FB....I'd link it, but we have heard it all before............ One opinion.
only my opinion but if you were a member you would have got am email Laughing
Saying the same thing, Macca? What would be the point? Macca, I voted against the current Board set-up, thinking at the time it would lead to disaster, and it has. Worse, in fact.
RODH2
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:12 pm

Well at least they made an apology but it needed to be a lot more than that. It was simply 'sorry about that', rather than a really strongly-worded statement of intent to review what has got us to this point and then do something about it.

These pleas for unity strike me as pleas not to be critical, or not to question how we're going. Criticism is not disunity, it's simply a sign of a strong desire for improvement, which is something I hope we all share rather than being something that divides us. The onus shouldn't be on us to show 'patience' and 'unity', it's on those in control to deliver results.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:24 pm

The working environment I was involved in wouldn’t put up with a performance like that. They would challenge you very strongly and if you didn’t rise to the occasion you wouldn’t be there.

I hope we get to hear from the Coach, we should and I would be disappointed if we didn’t.

The performance on Saturday was the most insipid and inept display by any sporting organisation I have seen in 60 years.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 811

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:55 am

aldo russian wrote:Well at least they made an apology but it needed to be a lot more than that. It was simply 'sorry about that', rather than a really strongly-worded statement of intent to review what has got us to this point and then do something about it.

These pleas for unity strike me as pleas not to be critical, or not to question how we're going. Criticism is not disunity, it's simply a sign of a strong desire for improvement, which is something I hope we all share rather than being something that divides us. The onus shouldn't be on us to show 'patience' and 'unity', it's on those in control to deliver results.

As the immediate Past President, it is difficult to comment without drawing accusations of various kinds, so the following is written with one aim only, that of ensuring we come together for the benefit of the Club. My Board involvement has come and gone, so I feel able to offer some thoughts.

First, aldo has a very pertinent point about criticism. In my book, 'Flags, Spoons & Knives' I made that very point, that at successful clubs criticism is often taken on board and leads to improvement wherever necessary. At West, it's usually seen as 'disloyal' or 'negative'. The fact is that we are currently in crisis. Long-standing members don't appear to be valued and have become disillusioned, both at our results and feeling estranged. There are few in administration or at Board level who have any 'feel' for our history or culture.

The result is division.

Again, in my book, I quote 'Our biggest danger now should never be dissension, it is the spectre of indifference and irrelevance'. That is happening and we all have to address it, unified.

I know of supporters who have offered to volunteer and been ignored. I have offered to volunteer on many occasions, with no response. Long-standing members have had little chance of being elected as member representatives against people new to the Club.

The change to the Constitution was to appoint a Board who would transform the club in a business-like and professional manner. I have seen no major change or initiatives. Presumably now even meals aren't available after a home game?

Our future is bleak unless we all feel we are stakeholders in a worthwhile future. Platitudes and appeals to stay loyal aren't enough and are even slightly insulting. We've all been loyal for decades.

There are many good people on the Board. Let's hope they can share with us a solid plan for the future and at least produce a good financial result to give us hope we can recruit well in a very difficult recruiting market now.

We have to work together, the future of our Club is at risk.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1573

Back to top Go down

Post by macca Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:34 pm

it wasn't the WAFC board that wore the shorts, jumpers, boots and ran around on Saturday.
macca
macca

Number of posts : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:11 pm

No it wasn't Macca. However the board is responsible for the entire running of the club, be it finance, administration, football dept, kitchen etc. Just like any company the board is there to ensure it is run profitably and properly and the overall good will and morale of the members and staff. They select /approve coaches, CEO's ,recruitment and set budgets. The SANFL has to take some blame here too in my opinion. Correct me if I am wrong but did they not cut our salary cap as a condition of a loan? what did they expect would happen?
Hardly helping us out was it? I believe Central refused there help a couple of years ago due to the same restrictions.
The members can also take some responsibility too. When that fateful meeting was held 3 years ago to change the constitution to an appointed board under the SANFL's  encouragement if not insistence, only about 120 bothered to turn up! That's about 10% of us. Shameful really. So now we have a crock of the proverbial over seeing everything, not us the members. I spoke out against it that night along with a few others but we were comprehensively defeated in the vote. Fair enough that is democracy working, but anyone thinking it is easy to reverse it think again. We would need overwhelming support for that and against any board who hold all the cards, in a nutshell ..no chance.
So for all those who wanted this, make it work! You have had 3 years so far and all I can see is we are going backwards. The communication is still bloody appalling. All we get is stay loyal for more of the same. Keep renewing your membership, and by the way send in your raffle book money. Have a look how much better other clubs (and not just football) do it. Learn from them. Bring the members with you and show us some light at the end of the tunnel, before you loose the rest of us.

Last edited by TAAARS on Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:32 pm

Excellent post, TAAARS! I voted against that proposal at that meeting, and it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth to be vindicated 100%. I simply don't know how we can move forward.
RODH2
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:40 pm

And, agreeing with Lee, asking for patience from supporters who, by season's end, will have witnessed 8 wooden spoons in the last 17 seasons, is not only insulting but unthinking and feeble. The club has spent all our patience. Time to shape up.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:53 pm

Coach's Report

As the apology from the club has gone out there is not a lot more I can add to what you witnessed on the weekend apart from I am hoping it was an aberration and full credit to Sturt who played an amazing game!

Having already trained Sunday and Monday in preparation for Norwood this Friday night we expect a strong response from the players picked to represent us all. I can assure you all no stone is being left unturned in the pursuit of improvement. We also need to be careful not to jump at shadows after such a performance and remember that the previous 2 games against Port and the Eagles we put ourselves in winning positions and were very competitive as well.

Certainly selection will be interesting but I am hearing Jono Beech is potentially a chance from his recent injury absence so that would be encouraging for us to bring back a player with such experience. Also the form of some of our reserves players in recent weeks has been solid so we will look towards them for opportunities to add some of their strengths to our team.

We appreciate your support through the good times and bad. I hope we can make you all proud of us this Friday night at the Parade!

Brad Gotch

Senior Men’s Coach
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1573

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:02 pm

aldo russian wrote:Well at least they made an apology but it needed to be a lot more than that. It was simply 'sorry about that', rather than a really strongly-worded statement of intent to review what has got us to this point and then do something about it.

No it wasn't Macca. However the board is responsible for the entire running of the club, be it finance, administration, football dept, kitchen etc. Just like any company the board is there to ensure it is run profitably and properly and the overall good will and moral of the members and staff. They select /approve coaches, CEO's ,recruitment and set budgets. The SANFL has to take some blame here too in my opinion. Correct me if I am wrong but did they not cut our salary cap as a condition of a loan? what did they expect would happen?
Hardly helping us out was it? I believe Central refused there help a couple of years ago due to the restrictions.
The members can also take some responsibility too. When that fateful meeting was held 3 years ago to change the constitution to an appointed board under the SANFL's  encouragement if not insistence, only about 120 bothered to turn up! That's about 10% of us. Shameful really. So now we have a crock of the proverbial over seeing everything, not us the members. I spoke out against it that night along with a few others but we were comprehensively defeated in the vote. Fair enough that is democracy working but anyone thinking it is easy to reverse it think again. We would need overwhelming support for that and against any board who hold all the cards, in a nutshell ..no chance.
So for all those who wanted this, make it work! You have had 3 years so far and all I can see is we are going backwards. The communication is still bloody appalling. All we get is stay loyal for more of the same. Keep renewing your membership, and by the way send in your raffle book money. Have a look how much better other clubs (and not just football) do it. Learn from them. Bring the members with you and show us some light at the end of the tunnel before you loose the rest of us.
TAARS

I agree 100% with TAARS and Aldo. Excellent posts which reflect my feelings exactly.
I wonder how many board members/employees are meeting their KPIs. If all/most are then why are we in such a diabolical position?

The remaining games couldn't be more difficult. One home game left against an undefeated Glenelg - away games against Norwood and South who are both in the five. We really need to be competitive. Supporters deserve at least that much.
Go Bloods
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 259

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum: