Lee Harradine
Lachlan
aldo russian
10 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

West v Port Empty West v Port

Post by aldo russian Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:34 am

I suspect we won't make many changes this week. We could go in with just Cleeland and Ellem as ruck men, omit Taverner and bring in another small like Redfern (will he ever get a game) or Allan, despite his dubious disposal. Our options are very limited at the moment. It'd be good to win a clearance in the first quarter this week though.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1056

Back to top Go down

West v Port Empty Re: West v Port

Post by Lachlan Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:26 pm

I would make one change, Redfern in for Haysman.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 811

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:39 pm

Nice to see Harry Lemmey making his debut.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1573

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:01 pm

I agree good to see young Lemmey getting an opportunity, he was impressive in the Reserves last week.

I actually think we are big chance to be Port this week. On paper their team looks very ordinary and once again they have a number of players missing through injury.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:45 pm

Shout out to Flag No 10 who pushed for us to play Lemmey some time ago.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1573

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:47 pm

Great to see Lemmey in. It might be a bit soon for him but he at least gives us a tall marking option. If he can take a few marks, not get outmarked and snag a couple of goals he'll have done a great job. We have him next year too before his inevitable drafting so it makes sense to give him a taste now. And the more difficult recruiting gets, the more important fast tracking our kids becomes.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Damo77 Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:46 pm

First post for a few years. Good luck to the boys this week!
Damo77
Damo77

Number of posts : 7
Job/hobbies : Watching the bloods win.

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:24 pm

Damo77 wrote:First post for a few years. Good luck to the boys this week!
Welcome back Damo will have to catchup
blacky

Number of posts : 224

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:30 pm

Anyone go to the game against Port, I didn't, AFL and all.....??!! scratch Thinking of going to Souths, maybe.
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 266

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:56 pm

Generally it was another good effort, plenty of endeavour but again our skill level was shown to be sub-par.

Why is it that when we go inside 50 we are frequently outnumbered, but when the opposition do they never are? Is it because so many of our mids/smaller types lack pace?

Lemmey's first game was really good, did some very accomplished things and looked dangerous, along with Keogh. The same cannot be said for Ellem, Gordon, Maguire, C. Fairlie and Lovell. Unless Lovell is carrying an injury I'm not sure why he only got about 3 minutes on ball on Sunday. If he's not a better midfielder than Squire and P. Fairlie (having spent 2 years on an AFL list) then why did we recruit him?

I thought Chamberlain was our best, his best game for the club. Haysman also did some good things and Duvall and Keough the best of the others. If some of our players can find a bit more confidence in themselves, and we maintain our effort, we might pinch a win before the season's out.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:09 pm

Thanks aldo, I watched Collingwood/ Carlton on the week-end. (family commitment!) Laughing , and can't work out the "social distancing" of the modern game which gives opposition players a paddock to work in. Good to see that endeavour, tho!
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 266

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:25 pm

RODH2 wrote:Anyone go to the game against Port, I didn't, AFL and all.....??!!    scratch  Thinking of going to Souths, maybe.
I went to the game
Only problem I have is I go to all the game's
Not often I miss one
blacky

Number of posts : 224

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:50 pm

We have a team full of ‘2 grab’ players and in the modern game you get caught when you fumble the ball. Players with some AFL experience seem to have the training to take the ball first time and we had players like Chris Schmidt and Jason Porplyzia who could do that. Now we don’t. We saw on Sunday players like Duursma and Hartlett dominate with hand and foot and we just didn’t have the class to stay with them.
Many of our goals resulted from fast movement to the forward line and looked good. We seem to start with about 29 circular handballs in the backline before moving the ball forward. It looks good when it comes off but on a number of occasions we kicked it forward to a group of players like Gordon, C Fairlie and Maguire who were always easily outmarked. But Lemmy looked good and should be retained to provide some height near our goals.
There are 2 things certain about Westies:
- we will provide a contest and
- Redfern will be named but not play!
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:08 pm

You forgot the third certainty!!!!
Another Wooden Spoon ☹
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 556

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:22 am

Fact is we are just not up to League standard. What we have is a seconds team with a handful of league players thrown in.
Unless we recruit well with key 1st grade players nothing will change and we will remain cellar dwellers.
At least until we have some good juniors come through, but even then you don't want them too good as they go quickly in the draft, so are not any use to us. And that takes years.
Have we got that long before we have no supporters left?
Tell me why do North,Norwood,Eagles manage to do it year on year but we can't? Those three clubs are rarely down for long. Sure they have bad years but not like us with a bad decade.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:50 pm

I think you’re right. We probably have 6 or 7 players that would get a game at most other clubs.
I am sure the club are working hard behind the scenes to get players for next year. However, if we have a salary cap of 210K then recruiting good talent is almost impossible.
Let’s hope we can spend a bit more money in the off season and attract some players and we need plenty!!
Our recruits this year were:
Lovell, Gore, Meline, Babic, Maguire, Murphy, Redfern, Fejo, Charlie Allan
and Jesse Johnson

I would say only Murphy and Gore would get a pass mark. The others that have played league football have been poor and some haven’t played any league yet.

Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 556

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:26 pm

WP, it is interesting discussing Salary Caps and differences between us and other clubs

in terms of the 210k salary cap that is if we spend it all or have we kept some back to improve overall club financial gains -------- I do not know but someone else may?

Recruiting is not just about $$$$$ contract it is also about jobs for player and partner --- whilst we have great supporters many cannot help in the job stakes which other club sponsors can.

North Adelaide --- Mr Clipsal previous generosity

Just my thoughts

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 792
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:57 pm

Wolf Pack wrote:
Our recruits this year were:
Lovell, Gore, Meline, Babic, Maguire, Murphy, Redfern, Fejo, Charlie Allan
and Jesse Johnson

I would say only Murphy and Gore would get a pass mark. The others that have played league football have been poor and some haven’t played any league yet.

Beech and Steele were also recruited this year but neither of them have made a big impact for us. I wouldn't agree that Meline and Fejo have been poor. I thought Fejo was pretty good in his two games and I don't understand why he hasn't played since. Meline steadily got better. He needs to get more of it but he's value for touches. Lovell has spent very little time on ball since returning from injury but before that showed a fair bit.
I appreciate that recruiting is very hard with a reduced cap and a poor recent on-field record, but I would say that for too long we have recruited quantity rather than quality. Sadly I think the truth of it is we need to recruit both. Our best hope is to fast track some of our very talented underage players and recruit the very best quality we can in 3 or 4 key spots.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:23 pm

I agree with your last post. I think Lovell has been playing with an Injury since he returned to the league side.
I really don’t understand why Fejo hasn’t played more league footy, he should have.
Maguire has been a major disappointment, he seems to lack a yard of pace for the SANFL and he may lack fitness. Since returning to the league side he’s played at half forward.
I agree we need to fast track a good few of our quality juniors.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum