Where to?

5 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Where to? Empty Where to?

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:10 am

I'm pleased to see one or two Under 18s selected for the Reserves this week, as FlagNo10 has been suggesting for some time.

The fact is that our senior list is struggling and injuries and retirements have weakened it even further.

We obviously need to recruit strongly, but this is easier said than done. I posted at the start of the season that our recruiting, as always, couldn't be judged until later in the season. Recruits always sound great before a game is played. One or two who haven't done much so far may well improve as they settle in to the style more as time goes by.

Even with recruits, there is a very thin base of local players, which is a necessary key element of premiership success. Our 2015 side was more than 80% home-grown and we're a long, long way off that now. The base now is the likes of Chamberlain, Duval, Ryan, Johnson, etc.

So the key is to get as many of our young players into the League side ASAP, but it will take more time for them to become regular League players.

Recruits might take us from wooden spooners to a respectable 6th to 8th, but the long-term success will lie with our home-grown players in time.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1573

Back to top Go down

Where to? Empty Re: Where to?

Post by Lachlan Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:54 pm

I agree we should have been playing a few juniors in our ressies side to get them ready for next year.
We haven’t improved at all this year, despite a well credentialed coach joining us.
Our game plan is the same as it has been for the past few years.
What is also very alarming is we haven’t tried any players in different positions.
Despite us being the worst side in the comp for Points for we have continued to play the same forward line week in week out.Why?
Our Recruits have been disappointing other than Lovell and to a lesser extent Gore and Meline. Maguire came with good credentials, but has shown very little.
We desperately need to sign a couple of good KPPlayers to support a couple of young Talls from Under age squads.

The way we are going next year is going to be similar to the past 3 years.

Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 811

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:13 pm

I have to agree but will say our recruiting has been very disappointing for the last 7or 8 years
It is going to take a while but I do believe that we are going in the right direction
I like everyone else is disappointed with the way we are going and it's hard to watch but I'm still going unlike some
blacky

Number of posts : 224

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:58 pm

Where to? A bit immediate I guess, but the crows tonight got thumped and scored 2 goals for the whole game........ I question what "Corporate" has done for the "industry" that is AFL, and on a smaller scale what is happening here with the SANFL. It used to be Sport. Perhaps I am missing something! Open to the barbs and arrows, but debate away!!
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 266

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:14 am

The AFL is an absolute shambles in terms of the spectacle.
How a team can kick 2 goals in a game is baffling.
That style of football has become the way the game is played in the SANFL too and it is hard to watch.
I’m sure the Big Wigs are concerned about how the game is being played.
I would argue that all of our recruits have been underwhelming, but it took Kaine Stevens a season or to to get going when he first arrived so I don’t think we can be too harsh on them in their first year. It makes it even harder when the team is struggling.
We didn’t get any tall, key position players and that has shown to be a real problem. You have to have a strong spine and ours is anything but that.
Our rucks are also a problem. They have zero impact around the ground.
They don’t take enough marks or get anywhere near enough possession.
I agree with Lachlan, that we have seen too much of the same all year.
Players like Murphy and Duval could play multiple roles but we haven’t seen it.

Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 556

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum