Rd 7 West v Eagles

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Rd 7 West v Eagles - Page 2 Empty Re: Rd 7 West v Eagles

Post by aldo russian Sun May 23, 2021 3:33 pm

A friend pointed out that after our shellacking by North we ended up making one change. I think Batley was pretty hard done by, having got 40 possessions on a day when our League lost by more than 10 goals, with a defence that lacks pace, and he couldn't get a game.
I can't see the justification for not making half a dozen changes this week.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1006

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Sun May 23, 2021 4:46 pm

McKenzie should be back next week. We desperately need a tall up forward. Beech back in and hopefully Lovell.
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 506

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Mon May 24, 2021 7:14 am

aldo russian wrote:Unlike some other posters I didn't think it was so much a lack of effort today as a lack of ability. There were some occasions when midfielders and defenders didn't chase hard enough but it's basically down to talent in my view. It should now be clear to the football department that it needs to make up a deficit of about 12-15 goals on the good teams.

It was very hard to work out what we were trying to do today, with the number of kicks to outnumbered teammates, and the amount of space the Eagles seemed to get. It was also concerning that, just 7 games into the season, we basically ended up having to abandon the game plan and put everyone behind the ball.

One pre-requisite for players we recruit should be that they must be able to kick the ball 40 metres to a teammate. It's a basic that a lot of our players seem unable to pull off.

A significant shortfall in ability will nearly always lead to a lack of effort. Our 3/4 efforts these past two weeks demonstrate this. Facing significant deficits at 1/2 time we then capitulated completely in the 1/3quarter. (17 goals to 3)

The players appear to be confused judging by the amount of finger pointing going on. It was particularly noticeable against North last week. Also many players were angry and visably frustrated both on and off the field. Is this the result of a game plan we can't execute? Putting everyone behind the ball on Saturday might have stemmed the flow, but would have done nothing for morale. After two bad losses is morale now also going to be an issue?

As for our poor field kicking, do we practise the skills of the game? Week after week we seem to fall down in this area. Opposition teams nearly always seem to hit teamates in space. Do our players understand the concept of kicking to advantage?

I don't envy our recruiters. They have an extremely difficult job as we are deficit in many areas. We lack size/height and this has been an issue for sometime. Our better/more experienced players probably won't be playing in another 2-3 years which is when a rebuild should see us having made significant improvement. (Top 3) We must be honest and ruthless. Recruits who have been given enough time to develop need to be moved on if they can't attain league standard. Another issue facing our recruiters would be convincing potential recruits that West Adelaide is a desirable destination to further develop their football skills. Our performances over the past few years certainly won't help with this process, however that is their job and there can be no excuses.

bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Mon May 24, 2021 8:43 am

bruce cameron wrote: Also many players were angry and visably frustrated both on and off the field. Is this the result of a game plan we can't execute?

I suspect most game plans would require good foot skills, and we have too few players with them.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by redblack32 Mon May 24, 2021 12:30 pm

Looking at how young turner is going at the bays. I would suggest we lost out badly in that transaction.
Would be nearly our best player going by his stats 🤦🏼
redblack32
redblack32

Number of posts : 29

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Mon May 24, 2021 6:01 pm

Disappointing to lose both Brett and Gibson Turner to Glenelg, but given the circumstances, the right decisions were made on both of those players.
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Thu May 27, 2021 10:13 am

Hope we get a coach's report this week, it's important after performances like that.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Thu May 27, 2021 12:27 pm

Wouldn’t think we will get a report as it is now Thursday....
I agree,. I’m sure we all would like to hear from the coach after a poor effort. We did get an under 18s report......
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Thu May 27, 2021 6:23 pm

Wolf Pack wrote:Wouldn’t think we will get a report as it is now Thursday....
I agree,. I’m sure we all would like to hear from the coach after a poor effort. We did get an under 18s report......

I agree, it's important to hear from the coach after such a poor showing, but it is unlikely to happen now. A pity.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum