blacky wrote:Maybe we can blame Aust post
definitely their management.
LukeO9
LukeO9

Number of posts : 132

Back to top Go down

Rd 2 West v Adelaide - Page 2 Empty Re: Rd 2 West v Adelaide

Post by LukeO9 Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:49 am

Surprised to see very few positive reviews on this game.
I think West have improved enormously this year. Just a small number of skill errors to be removed.
LukeO9
LukeO9

Number of posts : 132

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:10 pm

Some ridiculous & negative comments as usual from some posters.

A long way to go but we have shown considerable improvement.

It will take time with a third of our team being new players to not only the club but our very strong SANFL competition.

For heavens sake give them a break.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:14 pm

An extremely disappointing result. I thought we looked flat and lacked real intensity.

Smashed again in ruck and in the key forward spots, and didn't use the ball well enough. But, similarly to last week, we could still easily have won it. Gore could easily have kicked 5 goals, and possibly 6 if he held the chest mark late in the last quarter.

Lovell was outstanding, and Duvall, Stevens, Hill and Beech were very good.

It's hard to be patient when you've won the last 2 wooden spoons and something like 7 in the last 20 years. I think if someone at the club asked me to be patient I'd be justified in saying 'How about you hurry up.'

aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 979

Back to top Go down

Post by loppy19 Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:13 pm

Call it as I saw it, negative or reality, we are 0-2
As stated above, I think patience is pretty thin after some pretty lean and ordinary years.
We still play to win, don’t we?
loppy19
loppy19

Number of posts : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:17 pm

Problem is that every year we are told to be patient
It's all I have been hearing
We need to get results on the board our supporters have had enough no wonder we don't have many
How many games have we won in the last 5 years
blacky

Number of posts : 208

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:57 pm

I think we are all sick of our team losing.
For the record 2016-2020
Played 86 games.
19 wins and 67 losses.
Horrific really!
Let’s hope we can start winning soon!!!!!
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 478

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:00 am

At least u know who I was referring to. There are other posters in your boat too.

If u don’t understand why those last few years have been so tough & what we are striving to do to turn it around u must have blinkers on.

Yes I admit is has been dispiriting but we must remain patient & understand the process & changes to the club on & off field that have been made to rectify it. It is not a flick of the switch.

There is absolutely no value in being negative & bagging out on our great club while we are in this process of total rebuild.

It WILL take time so u had better come to grips with it or find something else to do on your weekends.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:35 am

That's all fair and reasonable Mypaspective but I'm not sure how realistic it is to ask long-suffering supporters not to express their disappointment. I couldn't imagine Port Adelaide's fans (the old SANFL version) being too patient with these sorts of results year after year. Their credo is 'We exist to win premierships'. We wouldn't dare adopt a motto as demanding as that.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 979

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:38 am

"....find something else to do on your weekends." That's the spirit, Mypaspective, just the encouragement we all need, eh!!?? Rolling Eyes
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 221

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:44 am

Mypaspective wrote:At least u know who I was referring to. There are other posters in your boat too.

If u don’t understand why those last few years have been so tough & what we are striving to do to turn it around u must have blinkers on.

Yes I admit is has been dispiriting but we must remain patient & understand the process & changes to the club on & off field that have been made to rectify it. It is not a flick of the switch.

There is absolutely no value in being negative & bagging out on our great club while we are in this process of total rebuild.

It WILL take time so u had better come to grips with it or find something else to do on your weekends.

Mypaspective, whilst I agree that some comments made by posters are overly negative, they are simply voicing their frustration. We are in the process of a total rebuild and this of course will take time. As you say it will not happen at the flick of a switch. That said, I find two of your comments to be unwarranted.

I’m well aware of what the club has done/is doing to turn things around, however members need to be reminded of this and updated on how this is panning out. In short, communication is the key. We have not had a President’s Message to Members since December and despite the promise of one after each board meeting, this seldom happens. So, I hope that after the next board meeting, members will be able to read something about the success of the implemented changes in the football department. If you want members to fully understand the process and changes made and how these are having a positive impact, then communication needs to improve.

Furthermore, perhaps the next President’s Message could explain why some members are still waiting for their membership packs. If there is an ongoing issue, then what can be done to overcome this. Also, I think members might like to be reminded of the WTC’s promise to spend $8-9 million on the oval precinct. (not sure of the amount) Not many rank and file members attended the AGM, so this could be new information to some. To me a monthly President’s Message is an ideal opportunity to keep members on side and sell the idea of a successful future.

Mypaspective, I find your final comment totally unacceptable. Several posters are simply voicing their frustration. They might predict that another wooden spoon is imminent, but they will still be at the game next week, (and buy a membership for next year) hoping for a better result.  The statement u had better come to grips with it or find something else to do on your weekends smacks of arrogance. I sincerely hope that the Board does not agree with you. Perhaps, if you don’t like what you read on the Forum, you should find something else to read.(TIC)

PS
The programming of Saturday’s fixture was ridiculous. Why play a twilight game and then follow it up with a Reserves game.  It mystifies me why the SANFL would schedule this. The crowd was even smaller than I had anticipated. Perhaps someone at the club could find out and let members know.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:33 am

Re your last comment Central’s league team played at Alberton so they couldn’t provide trainers , doctors & staff etc during the afternoon at both Alberton & Richmond.

As for everything else I said I rarely comment on this forum unless something grates me & I need to stand up for the club.

No further comment.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:43 am

Yes and I think you grate a lot of loyal supporters at times MP.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 233

Back to top Go down

Post by loppy19 Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:33 am

A forum where one can’t voice an opinion or frustration.
Great game boys, all played well, the bbq was amazing as always, club is run better than ever before and success is imminent.

Just don’t say we played crap and lost against a poor team in case the club gets wind of it. Pay your money and shut up,
loppy19
loppy19

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:56 pm

I noted in my book that criticism is often taken on board at other clubs if it's constructive and might lead to improvement. I further noted that at West, it is only ever seen as traitorous.

Perhaps our history might show that we are too comfortable with mediocrity, too comfortable with deflecting any criticism and too comfortable with doing things the way we've always done them.

It is stretching patience to continue to suggest we're 'rebuilding'. We won 5 games in 2017 and 8 games in 2018, but under the new regime we've won two wooden spoons and haven't started well again. That's plenty of time to 'rebuild'.

It is difficult to speak of my own experience, but I know of at least 4 lifetime members (some who contribute here), who have been treated totally disrespectfully by club administration in just this last year. These are people who bleed for their club, but are dismissed by the club as nuisances.

MP's last sentence just confirms this lack of any respect for loyal lifetime supporters, whose interests are cast aside in favour of people who until recently had never supported the club and who will inevitably come and go, as we've already seen.

On top of this, we are heading for Round 3 and many still haven't had their membership packs. It isn't traitorous to criticise this, it is a reasonable response, in the absence of any official explanation, for what is an obvious failure of administration.

In the last chapter of my book, I noted that our biggest enemy was indifference and if the Club hierarchy is indifferent to its most loyal members, it's in trouble.

Clubs are made up of people. Often people with different ideas and a club which tells its most diehard supporters to do something else on game day if they are disgruntled is a club whose arrogance, comfort and entitlement has overtaken it.

We will still bleed for the Club, for the Coach, for the players and families, because that's what a successful club needs. It would be nice if those in charge didn't see supporters as the enemy, whether it's banning this forum, banning books on the Club or lecturing us to be grateful with mediocrity.

We have a long way to go. Together we might succeed, apart we have no chance.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1508

Back to top Go down

Post by loppy19 Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:10 pm

my final comment would be that it already looks like many west people have already found other things to do on weekends judging by dwindling membership and crowd numbers.....
loppy19
loppy19

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:34 pm

Does anyone have the crowd figure for Saturday?
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:10 pm

The crowd was poor for the league yet poorer for the development side. If I had to guess (and I do) it would be around the 1100 mark.
But the good thing was that Kevin Joseph watched his first game for 28years without having to guess who kicked or handballed every touch.
Along with an earlier post I find it difficult to fathom that our league played before the reserves and it was mentioned that Central played Port and did not have the recourses yet in round 8 we are expected to have the recourses when our 2's play Glenelg at Glenelg and our league play Port at Alberton that excuse will not cut it.
Saturday night reserves game - Income - minimal, Expenditure - Lots
The SANFL must start to think of the all Clubs (not just West) when they program night matches that do not generate income and only go to adding cost to the bottom line, good thing that most support staff are volunteers otherwise the loading rate on afternoon/night shift would even more cost.
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 75

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:16 pm

Can anybody tell me how is Mckenzies injury???
bundy
bundy

Number of posts : 428
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:20 pm

Our performance on Saturday against a very ordinary Crows side was unacceptable in my book.

We lacked the want for the contest, and too many times Adelaide were able to take the ball away with ease from our F50 into their attack.
Our pressure on the ball carrier wasn’t up to SANFL Standard. I really thought we would win on Saturday, but once again we simply didn’t turn up to play.

Our key forwards were well beaten and once again we went into the game one TALL short.
Ellem has been a major disappointment this year after showing something in 2020. Taverner must come into the team and perhaps Rana should be tried at FF.
Lovell was simply outstanding and its pleasing that we have found a very good recruit. Maguire was against a little disappointing let’s hope he improves against Sturt.
Duvall, Keough,Schiller and Beech were among the better players.
I also thought  Joel Stevens had his moments and again I think the club has found a player.

Karpany surely must be dropped for Kaine Stevens if fit enough, if not Redfern to come in as well as Levicki.

Last edited by Lachlan on Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 771

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:30 pm

MP

As a paid up member I will make comments about how I thought we played after every game. If I think we played poorly I will say it, it’s not negative it’s how I see it. I won’t accept mediocrity and for too long that’s what’s been happening at this club.

We won a Premiership in 2015 and since then we have finished bottom 3 times and 9th in another year. Successful clubs don’t have that Sought of RECORD, ITS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 771

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:34 pm

Lachlan wrote:Our performance on Saturday against a very ordinary Crows side was unacceptable in my book.

We lacked the want for the contest, and too many times Adelaide were able to take the ball away with ease from our F50 into the their attack.
Our pressure on the ball carrier wasn’t up to SANFL Standard. I really thought we would win on Saturday, but once again we simply didn’t turn up to play.

Our key forwards once again were well beaten and once again we went into the game one TALL short.
Ellem has been a major disappointment this year after showing something in 2020. Taverner must come into the team and perhaps Rana should be tried at FF.
Lovell was simply outstanding and its pleasing that we have found a very good recruit. Maguire was against a little disappointing let’s hope he improves against Sturt.
Duvall, Keough,Schiller and Beech were among the better players.
I also thought  Joel Stevens had his moments and again I think the club has found a player.

Karpany surely must be dropped for Kaine Stevens if fit enough, if not Redfern to come in as well as Levicki.

I agree with you.I would hate to be leading to him. He gets caught holding the ball too many times.Good speed lacking in skills.
bundy
bundy

Number of posts : 428
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:53 pm

Some very good comments on matters raised IMO.

My Friends, for that is what I consider all who are a paid Member of the Club. My comments are not aimed at anyone rather reflect my personal thoughts/ethics for others to consider, and if they wish, to discuss in a fair/friendly manner.

From the day I became a Life Member I have committed myself to the right of any Member, with some exceptions, to express their view point on an issue without being abused/belittled or otherwise harassed.

The few exceptions I make is sharing information of personal nature, sharing club confidential information that potentially affects the clubs operational abilities and areas of personal attack on player, management, staff or any Member. IMO, it is entirely appropriate to disagree with each other and to discuss why that is but with respect and not in a threatening or insulting manner. Enough said and moving on.

I went to the game to see the team live for the first time this year due to personal health issues and frankly I went not expecting to win rather hoping we would be competitive and not thrashed.

For those who thought the Crows squad was weak then I respectfully disagree as I took into consideration that they were playing 4 players very close to AFL selection also I feel many supporters from all Clubs underrate the ability of several of their top up player. Conversely, I consider that our squad whilst definitely full off young talent lacked several senior players who in the next week or so should feed back in after recovery from injuries etc.

At the end of the day we were not flogged and ran out the game strongly. Similar to the game against Glenelg I felt we lost due to some basic errors and again low pressure shots on goal were missed.

I F***ing hate losing but to suggest there is no improvement over last year I just cannot agree with -------- We have a new Coach, new football Manager and new Football Director and I feel the recruiting had an eye on the longer term rather than the immediate --- I fully expect/hope that these young players develop over this year thus allowing more funding freedom to seek specific Key Position player.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 782
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:12 pm

oldfella, we got beaten by a very ordinary team, which used to often have 15 AFL players, not only a few.

Supporters will stick by the team, but if you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig and that result was not good.

The frustration is not with just one result, but with year after year of 'there were positive signs'.

We love our team, our players and our club. As for recruiting, it's always difficult, but our lack of experienced height has been a factor.

Glossing over poor results is very West Adelaide for too long.  I look forward to Brad's summary and I doubt he'll find a lot of positives.

The reality is we will improve, but we're a long way off right now and it will take time.

Meanwhile, we'll support the team and the Coach, but we'll be realistic, as we should be.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:25 pm

Fair comment which I respect however we agree not to agree.

In fact i agree with you more than you realize as the Crows players i referred to were basically talls.

I too have felt the frustration of year and years but that does not mean things cannot change but does not, as I am sure you will agree does not happen overnight.

Now, is this latest situation the start of something good or a continuation of previous years I do not know (nobody does) but I prefer to look forward rather than backwards in life and view situations on what I see rather than past.

I just feel the real situation will not be apparent until the middle of the season until we have the missing senior players back and the new Coach approach becomes fully ingrained -=-- if we are getting flogged at that stage then I will be vocal but at minute is IMO premature

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 782
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM