AGM

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

AGM  Empty AGM

Post by Detective Bloodhound Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:58 am

The Bloodhound stirred from the kennel and attended the Club AGM last night.

To sum up:

The usual, plus a bombshell (but more of that in the post to follow this one).

First to proceedings, with tongue firmly in cheek, for entertainment purposes only Very Happy Cool . The President gave his usual speech, as per the Annual Report, praising the Board and the individual members, all harder working people than ever before. Unfortunately, two of the original five appointed members had had enough and were stepping dowm after two years. Brad Abraham, a life-long Westie as far as I know, replaced Nick Karasoulos, definitely a life-long Westie, thus happily maintaining the one life-long Westie on the Club Board. Jacqui Rose was replaced by a new Board Member with a military background, apologies for forgetting her name, I'll look it up and correct the oversight. Probably not a life-long Westie, though.

Troy Abbott was unopposed for the Member elected position. It seemed obvious that either members aren't interested in nominating, or realise after last year's member election that it is a fruitless exercise for a life-long Westie to defeat a Board-preferred non life-long Westie. Or both.

It was refreshing to hear Brad Gotch speak about the season ahead. Of particular interest was his mention of having to re-educate very senior players to stop kicking sideways whenever they get the footy. This was music to our ears.

Life Memberships were justly awarded to Jack Hamilton, after the longest wait for Life Membership I can remember. I suspect some family involvement and if so, very happy with that. Well done, Jack, fully deserved. Craig Bennetts couldn't attend, but was also justly recognised, along with Jono Beech as a Player Life Member.

I was surprised that Mark Mickan was also awarded Life Membership. Surprised that he hadn't been awarded it long ago, that is and he spoke in his usual great fashion, to an audience who loved him.

The Finance Director gave a good summary, which was we made a motza due to Jobkeeper and Government grants and that when things got back to normal, we were budgeting for a 'modest profit'. He did say we might have to borrow to bring the premises up to scratch and it was good to hear of planned future investment in football and the venue.

Lee Harradine asked why the Club was happy to promote and sell Chris Collins' excellent book (as they should), but refused to even advise members that his book existed, let alone promote it. President Murray Forbes, drawing on his extensive experience in sales, said Lee could mention it on the Club's Facebook site, as the Club wasn't in the business of selling books (except for Chris's book, of course).

David Shipway, who was a major player in the change of Constitution, said the change had been proven correct.

No mention was made at the meeting that we'd won the last two Wooden Spoons Shocked

Next post, the bombshell.
Detective Bloodhound
Detective Bloodhound

Number of posts : 3

Back to top Go down

AGM  Empty Re: AGM

Post by Detective Bloodhound Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:06 am

The Mayor of West Torrens, Michael Coxon, was re-appointed Club Patron. He announced that the Council would spend nearly $2 million this season on the oval precinct, which would include new perimeter fencing and taking away (or levelling) some of the mounds. I took this to mean the outer mounds.

He then said Council and Government would then spend nearly $20 million on the precinct and this would see it become a Community Centre, although football would remain very important.

I'm surprisec littlke has been made of this so far. It will change the whole football club operation, depending on how it's structured, but I suspect the football oval will be opened up and share the space with other sporting facilities.

While I (oops, Lee Harradine, I mean) was President, similar plans were drawn up and it seems they might be dusted off and very much upgraded. How this will affect the footy club remains to be seen. It could be great, certainly will be for the precinct, or it could mean the end of Richmond Oval autonomy for West Adelaide. I suspect the former, hopefully.

In any event, the Mayor said it would mean some disruption this season.

I'm sure we'll hear more about this ASAP.
Detective Bloodhound
Detective Bloodhound

Number of posts : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:40 am

I don’t think there is reason for any concern.
The Mayor, Michael Coxon, repeated at least 3 times that the precinct would remain “football centric”.
The oval will remain exclusive to our club for all our men & women’s teams during the times we need it for both training & playing commitments.
We can’t stand still & I feel that introducing other sports to the precinct can only benefit our club. This has been on the agenda long before your presidency Lee but financial constraints & other council priorities have meant Richmond Oval had to take a back seat until now.
Let’s all embrace it & look at the positives not the negatives.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:00 am

As I did, MP, just put the different possibilities, as is always prudent.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1508

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:18 am

They actually did mention your book on the Facebook page

EBCA8-B0-D-CA01-47-C9-8400-D133-EA0-CF1-CD
brodlach
brodlach

Number of posts : 439

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:19 am

There is so much wasted space around the ground some extra activities would be great and hopefully drive more people into the club rooms.
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:56 am

brodlach wrote:There is so much wasted space around the ground some extra activities would be great and hopefully drive more people into the club rooms.

There was also a lot of wasted space in our forward 50 last year - whenever we kicked the ball into it there was no one there. Hopefully we can get some extra activity in there this year.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 979

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:25 pm

aldo russian wrote:
brodlach wrote:There is so much wasted space around the ground some extra activities would be great and hopefully drive more people into the club rooms.

There was also a lot of wasted space in our forward 50 last year - whenever we kicked the ball into it there was no one there. Hopefully we can get some extra activity in there this year.

Very true Aldo
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:00 pm

brodlach wrote:They actually did mention your book on the Facebook page

EBCA8-B0-D-CA01-47-C9-8400-D133-EA0-CF1-CD

Ah, well spotted, brodlach.

Let me tell you how that happened.

Originally, I asked the CEO if he would advise the members that my book existed.

He refused, saying he hadn't read it.

I said he could advise the members that it wasn't authorised by the Club.

He refused.

I then asked if he would publicise my launch.

He refused.

I phoned him about it and he (IMO) was disrespectful and told me his opinion on political issues involving me 2 years before.

I emailed the President about the CEOs attitude. I said that the administration shouldn't be involved in club politics and should treat Life Members with respect. I again pointed out his refusal to publicise the launch.

The President replied that, after consideration, there would be no apology, but the Club would relent and publicise the Launch.

Hence what you have posted.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:22 pm

I don’t want to get into your squabbles with Murray (which I know nothing about) but to claim you received no support is incorrect no matter how it was obtained. 

I’m on 2 sporting boards for many years and I find most presidents ended up “disliking” each other because to put it bluntly “they both are too stubborn and get into a sick measuring contest”

Apologies if that offends anyone
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:25 pm

I have no concern or squabbles with Murray. I'm just posting about the lack of Club support for my book.

As for level of support, I know the answer to that better than you, even allowing for your connection.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:28 pm

I have a connection?
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by macca Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:33 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:I have no concern or squabbles with Murray.  I'm just posting about the lack of Club support for my book.

As for level of support, I know the answer to that better than you, even allowing for your connection.

isnt it about time you gave this up
get on with life
macca
macca

Number of posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:55 pm

From someone who still posts about a club employee who left more than a year ago.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:12 pm

I don't think this is that trivial a matter macca. We're a small club as it is - diehards, life members and long-time volunteers/supporters need to feel appreciated. I find it bewildering that when someone takes it upon themselves to write a book about our club, a book that Neil Kerley saw fit to launch, we won't even allow it to be sold at reception, so I'm told. Sounds a bit small-minded.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 979

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:27 pm

It may seem small minded Aldo and in someway I agree however I have an understanding why they may say “no”. We get asked to sell raffle tickets, Guide Dog bits etc but whilst we would like to that makes us responsible for the money and the product. If anything goes missing whether international or by accident I’d be responsible. Lee sells 3 books and the money is in an envelope goes astray then the club is responsible. Hell if we can lose a safe we can lose an envelope
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:38 pm

brodlach, the Club happily sold Chris Collins' book. (An excellent book and I had lunch with Chris today).

I offered $5 to the Club for every book they sold. There is no way I would ever sue the Club and they know that. We all know why they won't sell it.

All I did was to ask a question about it at the AGM. I thought the answer was incorrect, but I stood up to say I accepted it.

The book analyses why West is unsuccessful, part of which is the faction-fighting over its history. It seems impossible to get away from that on this forum even.

It's long past time we did what I asked for in the book - to forget the differences and be united. That is what I have offered to the Club over a long period now and I hope one day it will be accepted. Meanwhile, as I've always said, valid criticism doesn't indicate disloyalty, even after decades of service by many.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:35 pm

Mypaspective wrote:I don’t think there is reason for any concern.
I feel that introducing other sports to the precinct can only benefit our club. This has been on the agenda [ a long time]

If I remember correctly, back in the dim dark ages, wasn't there a proposal to merge the WAFC, Hellas (WASC) and the Bearcats into one club? Obviously, the current plan to increase community use of the precinct is a little different, but the ultimate aim is the same, to raise our profile and broaden our appeal throughout the western suburbs, in short to become stronger.  And it would certainly help the process in the meantime if we started enjoying some on field success, increased patronage via attendance and use of the club's facilities. If we are going to shine a light on the precinct then the community needs to like what it sees.

Last edited by bruce cameron on Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:56 pm

It was refreshing to hear Brad Gotch speak about the season ahead.  Of particular interest was his mention of having to re-educate very senior players to stop kicking sideways whenever they get the footy.  This was music to our ears.

It certainly was Lee. It has been extremely frustrating to watch a defensive, low percentage style of play these past few seasons. We were also extremely predictable. Having to re-educate senior players just goes to show how deeply embedded this defensive mind set had become.
I look forward to watching an attractive style of play this year, but more importantly winning more games than we lose.
All the best to Brad and the players.
Go Bloods in 2021
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:28 am

aldo russian wrote:I don't think this is that trivial a matter macca. We're a small club as it is - diehards, life members and long-time volunteers/supporters need to feel appreciated. I find it bewildering that when someone takes it upon themselves to write a book about our club, a book that Neil Kerley saw fit to launch, we won't even allow it to be sold at reception, so I'm told. Sounds a bit small-minded.

AGREE!
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by Bottle Top Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:28 am

regarding the clubs refusal to sell Lees book,
Murray said the the club was not in the business of selling books.
https://westadelaidefc.com.au/news/devotion-to-duty/
Bottle Top
Bottle Top

Number of posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:40 am

Chris Collins book was officially instigated by the WAFC History Group & approved by the Board before it was written & all proceeds went to the club.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:18 am

That puts a different perspective to it
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:59 am

I hesitate to continue this, but if that is the case, why, in my many requests, has nobody ever just said that to me, even publicly at the AGM, where it was said the Club isn't in the business of selling books?

I risked a lot financially to write a book about the club we love and just the minimum of advising the members that it existed was all I asked, as a 30 year volunteer.

Fortunately, the first run of 250 has sold out, I have a waiting list for the next print (which will be widely publicised) and I've had so much wonderful feedback from great West Adelaide supporters, who are bemused at the Club's attitude.

As has been said, we're a small club and I hoped the Club would embrace the book to enhance the Club's outreach to the wider public.

Never mind, that's history now and I'll proceed without the Club's support.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Mockingjay Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:23 pm

Mypaspective wrote:Chris Collins book was officially instigated by the WAFC History Group & approved by the Board before it was written & all proceeds went to the club.

"My perspective" I can see the point that you are making but I don't agree with the way the Club has dealt with Lee's book. I have read it and found it very readable and insightful and cannot see why the Club is being so stubborn regarding its author's request for some recognition.

it is apparent from the above statement that you are 'in the know', so perhaps you could let us know why the Club's administration (not its membership) is so unwilling to give Lee any respect in this matter. Why is it so necessary for some to spring to the Board's defence for even the most minor criticism. It all seems so petty to me. Isn't it time the administration just buried the hatchet and started acting in the best interests of all its members - not just a privileged few.
Mockingjay
Mockingjay

Number of posts : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum