Reserves 5.15
League 7.30pm

West v Norwood Saturday March 20th Hisense Arena
Reserves 10am
League 1pm

West V North  Friday 26th March
Reserves 5pm
League 7.30pm

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 624

Back to top Go down

Trial Games Empty Re: Trial Games

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:07 am

OK, where do you think we are placed?

I'm happy with our defence - Josh Ryan, Dunkin, Levicki, Hill & Co.

Our midfield should go from one of the thinnest to one of the best - Stevens, Lovell, Maguire, Boyle, Waite, Schiller, etc.

Ruck depends totally on Taverner, but he's well up to it.

Our forwards are a slight worry for height.  Isaac Johnson and Beech will be good, I think Keough will play CHF, Ellem's effectiveness will depend on his fitness, but I think we really lack a key tall.

Hopefully one or two of our lesser profile recruits might also step up.

A lot to look forward to.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1508

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:50 pm

It's hard to know how much improvement to expect. Will there be marked improvement by individuals, and as a team? Several of the recruits will obviously make us better. I expect and hope that we will be much more competitive but how many wins that translates to, and what other teams we can expect to finish above on the ladder is hard to gauge now. You'd like to think we'd get off the bottom though.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 979

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:25 pm

Lee,

I agree with you, our biggest issue will be our forward line. I think both Rana and McKenzie will be given opportunities and they will need to step up, Ellam needs help. I would play Murphy forward and through the midfield, he may have played in defence for Nth Melb, but our defence is ok.

Our Ruck division is very thin and Tavener who has played 2 League games is going to need to continue to step up. He has shown he was it takes, but he’s playing his first full League season. I like what I saw though last year.
Babic the young Ruckman we recruited is very young and raw and he is going to take a significant amount of time to develop. He’s a project player so we need to be patient.

We also need to improve our fitness and obviously the powers that be have recognised this. We have suffered far too many injuries and I think our fitness has been the worst in the comp for the past 3 years.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 771

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:03 pm

I think we should play Murphy back. Josh Ryan is our number 1 key defender with Levicki and maybe Hupfield as the second and third options.
I think Murphy will do more damage as a defender.
Keough, Beech, Isaac Johnson and Ellem are good enough to kick us a score. Karpany and Haysman as the crumbers.
I hope to see an improvement in our skills and faster more attacking football.

Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 478

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:14 pm

I think Josh Gore from the Suns will be exciting to watch and will play some league footy.
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:23 pm

I'll be looking for a new game plan that involves kicking the ball towards the goals. Also, an improvement in skill levels but that could be hard to achieve in the short time the new coach has been at the club.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 200

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:10 am

Over the weekend the West Adelaide Senior Men’s program had 64 players go to the Riverland for our 2021 Pre Season Camp.
The camp was a great opportunity for all players and coaches to strengthen relationships and spend time and getting to know each other.
The staff and players stayed at Padaley Lodge in Lyrup, where the activities included puzzle making, trivia, lawn bowls, leadership and game education. The camp also included a solid session of match simulation on Saturday morning where all players displayed great intent. Local coaches from Riverland Football Clubs were invited to attend this session and also had the opportunity to chat with Senior Coach Brad Gotch at the conclusion of the morning session.
There was plenty covered over the weekend and the coaches and the high performance team were satisfied with what was achieved during the trip.
No doubt this experience and weekend will further build on the squad and club as we head into the season.
Senior Coach Brad Gotch was very pleased with the experience saying, “I placed the football match simulation at the start of the camp and the players intensity and work rate exceeded my expectations which was pleasing.”
“As the work rate was so high we were able to concentrate on team building exercises and education throughout the rest of the camp.”
“The session Sunday morning around divisional requirements and education will help the players immensely to fast track their football requirements.”
“All in all though the behavior of the group in representing our club deserves recognition and the way we conducted ourselves in the area will hopefully go a long way to building stronger relationships with our Riverland partners.”
The West Adelaide Football Club thanks all the Riverland clubs who attended the open training session on the Saturday morning and the Lyrup Bowling Club for hosting us for our lawn bowls tournament. We also thank the owners and staff at Padaley Lodge for the use of their facility for all West Adelaide FC Riverland camps.
brodlach
brodlach

Number of posts : 439

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:41 am

If anyone wants a bit of a footy fix, we have an under 21 side playing an under 23 St Peters OC side tonight (Friday 26th Feb) in a trial  starting around 7pm.
firstblood
firstblood

Number of posts : 384
Job/hobbies : The light keeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:30 pm

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:45 pm

Reserves win by nearly 5 goals
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:05 pm

Well, it’s only a practice game but nonetheless it was a poor performance.
Let’s hope things improve from here .

Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:58 pm

It’s only the first trial so I will let the dust settle, Gore is a good small forward.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:37 am

Yes. Gore was probably the standout. Thought our young ruckmen competed well. Stevens and Sinderberry showed promise. Sam May has filled out and continues to improve. Ed Allan was busy. Murphy looks to be a good pick up. We showed plenty of grit and endeavour. Maybe a slight improvement in skill levels.
South were bigger, faster, stronger and more skilful. They outmarked us all night. We can’t match up on one-grab players like Cross, Broadbent, Gibbs, etc.
We’re good at tackling and chasing but should be looking more to direct play rather than reacting. 6 goals in 100 minutes of footy not good enough but the classy Isaac Johnson blind turn out of a pack to goal at the southern end was the highlight of a pretty ordinary trial.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 200

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:24 am

blackandred wrote: Maybe a slight improvement in skill levels.
South were bigger, faster, stronger and more skilful. They outmarked us all night.

Spot on Blackandred. It quite often took two tacklers to bring down the ball carrier. South's marking was nearly all one grab and they were very clean. Six goals is a poor return for 100 minutes of football. A poor trial in most aspects, however we need to acknowledge the following:

It was South's second trial
South played with great intensity and is a very good side
All our weaknesses were exposed which is better than performing better in a soft trial
Many players were playing together for the first time
We have ten players on the injury list (probably five would be in our best 21)
There was probably a slight improvement in the skills department despite the usual clangers (which South capitalised on)

Looking forward to next week's trial and hoping for an improved performance.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:43 am

South are a very good side, there ball use and physical strength were superior to ours and so they should be considering they finished 3rd last year.

We are a work in progress with our ball use and forward line.

We started with McKenzie,Keough,Beech,Karpany,Gore and Johnson in our forward line. I think that will change for our next match against North.
McKenzie showed glimpses but he is more of a FP and not a FF.
And Keough is a better defender in my book

Gore did play well and Murphy used the ball well by foot, perhaps he could be tried in the midfield. Lovell,Beech and Maguire will get better.

I think young Rana,J.Stevens and Sinderberry all did some good things.

Cleeland,Levicki,K.Stevens,Haysman,Meline, Ellem, Dunkin and Tavener were either injured or playing ressies last night.

It’s only our first trial and we will improve.

Last edited by Lachlan on Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:43 am

Frankly, I do not place a big thing on results of a trial game --- Coaches play players in many positions and often leave players getting beaten in situ to see how they respond --- the real picture become clear in the final trail game but even then the first official game team can perform completely different.

I am very concerned about the injuries above mentioned (esp best 21 players) as i do not feel we have the depth to cope with this situation as has been proven in recent seasons.

Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 782
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:44 am

My post was written before I seen Lachlans post and i agree with all he said

Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 782
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:50 am

Very good and under rated point by Bruce that a team playing their first trial usually lose to a team playing their second trial.
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:30 pm

Not enough League standard players in that side to get a different result.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:19 pm

Any tell me how Wilson and Wilson King went in the reserves?
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:17 am

With the coach's stated aim being to pick his best side for the last trial game next week, would you expect to see quite a few new faces tried at senior level this week at the expense of several who played last week?
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:42 am

Aldo

I would like to think so. Players such as Couroupis,Dunkin,Redfern,
Levicki,Schiller,Meline and Haysman that’s provided the last 4 have recovered from injury.

Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:54 pm

League Side for Saturday Babic, Karpany, Koster, Boyle, Maguire, Lovell, Haysman, Hill, Keough, Beech, Murphy, Allan, Batley, Duval, Gordon, Gore, Ryan, J. Stevens, McKenzie, Chamberlain, I. Johnson, Rana, Wilson-King, May

2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:37 pm

Nice to see a good win.  Look forward to a report.

Last edited by Lee Harradine on Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1508

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum