West V Eagles

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

West V Eagles - Page 2 Empty Re: West V Eagles

Post by Lachlan on Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:53 am

We were totally outclassed by a side that wanted the ball so badly. Their first qrt was absolutely magnificent. They were relentless with everything they did. And they had 6 first choice players out.

We lack FITNESS AND BODY STRENGTH AND OUR KEY POSITION PLAYERS DON’T TAKE ENOUGH MARKS. OUR SLOW BALL MOVEMENT FROM DEFENCE HAS BEEN A PROBLEM FOR THE PAST 2 YEARS.

WE ARE AFRAID TO MOVE THE BALL THROUGH THE CORRIDOR FOR FEAR OF TURNING THE BALL OVER WHICH IS THE MODERN WAY. WHY NOT AT LEAST TRY IT WE HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE.

WE DONT HAVE ENOUGH ELITE RUNNERS IN OUR SIDE WHO SPREAD QUICK ENOUGH.

IF YOU ARE A BOTTOM SIDE AT LEAST YOU CAN BE FITTER THAN ANY OTHER CLUB WHICH WOULD SURELY HELP. SADLY WE HAVEN’T BEEN FIT SINCE 2015

ITS TIME THE FITNESS COACH WAS MOVED IN.

THE FOOTBALL DIRECTOR AND FOOTBALL MGR HAVE BEEN IN THEIR ROLES SINCE FEB AND WE HAVE NO CORRESPONDENCE FROM THEM AT ALL.

In times like this communication is so important.

OnField performance is the cornerstone of any sporting club and every side we have put on the park in 2020 have been embarrassing. We have played 38 games across all grades and won 4. THAT IS LAUGHABLE.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 719

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:37 am

Our combined score from all 3 grades this weekend was 10.15.
WWT kicked 42.39.

Apart from establishing some communication with the members, I'd have thought the first thing a Board would do after next weekend is organise a round table with the Board, football manager, U18, Reserves and League coaches, and possibly a rep from the Riverland, to investigate why this has happened and what the way forward is. Teams can move up and down the ladder quickly these days (as we've proved), and we need to start moving up immediately.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 899

Back to top Go down

Post by Saundo on Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:42 am

Couldn’t agree more it is laughable and so disappointing and sad. I stopped going after the game at Elizabeth as I’m not wasting my time watching it and no one should. Even my daughter 13, the future of supporters has lost interest and doesn’t even care now when they play or look the check the scores. Will wait next year to see how they go before i renew my membership, buy merchandise and donate money. If my team of people in my job don’t preform and I don’t get results I don’t have a job. Where are the changes at West Adelaide.
Saundo
Saundo

Number of posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by BloodsFireUp on Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:32 am

IMO it’s not the playing group but the structure. We could have Tom Hawkins at FF and it wouldn’t make a difference. With no forward structure, lead patterns, blocks to allow forwards to lead into space. We simply bomb away with forward entries kicking to a contest even when its 2 v1 and we are outnumbered. Slingshot forward line has forwards spent and they can’t maintain for 4 qtrs.

Midfield overuse the ball & not going with 1st option and as Lachlan mentioned not using the centre corridor- we look to play wide.

Attack is set up in the backline and we don’t do that. We look to play wide kicking side wards or even backwards.

I think we do have a good playing group but the structure and the game plan need to change. I would like to see next week a licence given to players to:
1. Quick ball movement
2. Spread & run into space when we have possession. When we turn it over to run and locate an opposition player.
3. Licence to run and carry and take the game on.
4. 1st option is to look inside and reward the runner.
5. Open forward line - keep the space open for forwards to lead. And for heavens sakes keep 2 forwards in the 50 M arch

I could go on and on as I see so many non structures in our game from full back kicking out and having fast exit set ups to our miss set up around centre bounces and ball ups. The only other team in the SANFL who have very poor structures is Norwood- who have a very strong list and have won games this year on talent but have had poor results due to their structure and poor ball movement. Watching a Norwood game is like a play book from Westies - kicking sideward/ backwards and overusing the ball and not playing direct footy. I say this because no matter what talent you have in the playing group if the structure and game plan are not up to scratch then you will never get the result Look at Centrals over the 2nd half of the season who have had a distinct change in their game plan which has resulted in them becoming very competitive They have taken risks and players given license to open up the game, going with their 1st option to move the ball quickly, looking inside, using the corridor and kicking to space (ADVANTAGE).

Finally, you play the way you train. As Lachlan’ mentioned players do not seem to have the confidence to move the ball quickly in fear of turning it over - the only way to fix this is for this to become second nature and changing the game plan must be reflected in training drills that mirror game plan so that players are confident with it. Of course I am not privy to training but I do know I cant see any evidence of players running & spreading for quick ball movement during games so can only assume drills are not game based for this style of play.

NO RISK = NO REWARD

BloodsFireUp
BloodsFireUp

Number of posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS on Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:50 am

Blood Fire UP,
You make some very good points and can't say I disagree with you on most of your post.
Except.....In my opinion we do not have a good playing group.
Very few of our list would make any other clubs first 25 let alone the Eagles first 18.
We have allowed the list to deplete to the point that both the 1st grade and reserves are bottom by quite a margin.
Even if our game plan was how you suggested we have not got the skills to carry it out.
Our recruiting since 2015 has been abismal . Hence we are where we are now.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 228

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine on Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:53 am

What was the crowd? Seemed like well less than a thousand?
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:58 am

Taars.

I agree with you.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 719

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS on Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:18 am

Lee Harradine wrote:What was the crowd? Seemed like well less than a thousand?

I wonder why that would be?

Until our board (and it has to be the board that takes responsibility here ) understands that while being in a financial good position is important,so is on field success equally important, along with communication with the members and supporters.
Success on field brings people in which = more $'s are made, and a happy and increased membership.
Seen very little effort made on the latter for quite some time...years in fact.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 228

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:24 pm

Agree TAARS, our playing group is a long way short of what is required.
We can't just roll into another pre-season though, topping up the list with recruits (though that must happen). We need to address why it's got to this point and and why it's only happened to us so we can institute changes to ensure we overcome these issues.

The other thing I want to challenge is this notion that we're 'young', and that somehow this justifies our performances or promises better ones in the future. It does neither of those things. You don't get premiership points for being young. And, just because you're young, doesn't mean you're necessarily going to improve.
And good list management should ensure that you have a good blend of youth and experience, so you don't end up with a side that's too old, or too young, or too slow, or too unskilled. It's a rubbish excuse in my opinion.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 899

Back to top Go down

West V Eagles - Page 2 Empty Time for change

Post by Saundo on Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:29 pm

2017 finished 9th - 2018 finished 7th - 2019 wooden spoon - 2020 likely wooden spoon. No structure, kick sideways, backwards and continuously kick soccer scores. Sorry Gavin it’s time to go.
Saundo
Saundo

Number of posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack on Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:03 pm

Have to agree with Saundo.
3 wins in two seasons is absolute rubbish.
Gavin has had 3 years and we have gotten progressively worse .
Time for a new coach with new ideas.
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 424

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele on Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:26 pm

For the previous two weeks, I have been critical of our players work rate and we placed a large focus on this going into this week’s match. We felt our best chance to beat the Eagles was to make this a contested ball game, rather than a free flowing shoot-out. Accordingly, I was content with the way the players stuck to our planned structure this week. However what we experienced against was not only a deficiency in running capacity but a deficiency in contested ball. The pressure applied to the ball carrier between the two teams was as vast as the outcome. From the first bounce we were under pressure and we failed to manage this. Too many times we went to ground or coughed up the ball when tackled. On occasion we when got free, the referred pressure caused unforced skill errors. Conversely, our poor tackling technique and strength was highlighted in out tackles. There were far too many broken tackles or tackles where the opposition was still able to get a decent handball away. This enabled the opposition to chain out of contested ball far too easily and enter I50 at pace. Our backs had a mixed day. On occasions they held up manfully under pressure, on other occasions, our lack of composure was costly. Our mids were well beaten on the night. Brett Turner played a tagging role and was diligent with this. However we were beaten in spread from restarts again. It is an area we must improve in. Our forward line had some good moments however we were unable to have an aerial presence for most of the night and I thought our smalls were unable to apply enough tackle pressure when needed. I also thought they were run off on too many occasions through lapses in concentration. Overall, the opposition proved to be superior physically and mentally. It is fair to say that as a group we have lost some confidence after a trying season, however we also noted post-game that the opposition has the set the bar very high and we have considerable work ahead of us. We cannot change much of that in one week, but preseason will bring opportunities for those with shortcomings to remedy these. Those who choose not to, or cannot, will be overtaken by those who are committed to the challenge.

Tom Keough led admirably again. Playing in defence, his composure under pressure stood out. Logan Hill and Sam May also competed well in defence. Tom Morrish was our most productive forward with three goals. Tom continues to make the most of his opportunities in F50 which is great for a player after just a handful of games. Brett Turner and Kaine Stevens had solid nights, as did Dallas Willsmore on a wing.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 596

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum: