Forward Structure

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Forward Structure  Empty Forward Structure

Post by Lachlan on Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:27 pm

Our Forward Structure all year has been WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Tilthorpe and Ellem ( now Tilthorpe is injured)have had to play FF and Second Ruck. it’s absolutely ridiculous that these 2 kids have been asked to do this.

When either of them go into the ruck our key Forwrd targets are Keough and Hupfeld and neither of them are tall enough to play those roles. And 1 of them isn’t a league footballer.

We have been reluctant all year to play 3 tall forwards. Cleeland should have played the last 2 games which meant Ellem would have played FF for the whole game. Hupfeld Should have been dropped.

We have not tried anything new in our forward line for the whole year and that is laughable.

If you keep doing the same thing you will keep  getting the same result.

I’m sure the selection Panel thinks having 3 talls is to top heavy, but I strongly disagree as each forward must have a defensive side to their game.

Last edited by Lachlan on Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 719

Back to top Go down

Forward Structure  Empty Re: Forward Structure

Post by Lachlan on Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:31 pm

We had 42 inside 50’s for 8 goals WHAT A JOKE AND THIS HAS BEEN AN ONGOING PROBLEM SINCE 2016.

We simply need to try something different against South and play 3 talls

Glenelg had 49 inside 50’s for 21 Goals
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by BloodsFireUp on Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:59 pm

I have discussed our I50 forward entries a couple of weeks now as well as game plan. For those of your who attend live games, you will know that we are playing a sling shot forward line. This means when the ball is won in I50 by the opposition our forwards roll down the ground ( a defensive mind set). This type of structure requires elite running - which we don’t have. When our opponents turn the ball over and we gain possession you will note that our forward line is empty. Players must get on their bikes to sprint back down the ground. With no one in I50 we resort to kicking sidewards and even backwards while wait for targets ahead. By this time opposition have also flooded back in numbers. The only time forwards are set up is on centre bounces and then out midfield elect to kick to a contest rather than hit up a leading player making it a 50/50 contest rather than kick into space for a forward to run into - players simply don’t lower their eyes. To make things worse opposition teams have dropped back a spare in their defence and we don’t even up resulting in outnumbered contests. Stats will show quite often very even I50s but our structure is not structured. If something is not working why persists with it, why not make changes. Play a high forward line, play a low forward line , play an open forward line with 1 forward in the goal square - there are many options but yet we choose to stick to one structure even if it is not working.

Have we ever once this season made any changes to structures particularly when an opposition has ascendency? For example going man on man - the answer is no. When an opposition midfield is dominate as were the Tigers today do we adapt and play a ruck rover as a deep sweeper, or bring the 2 half forwards alongside the wings and have the existing wings run defensively in- no. There are many structural changes that coaches can make during a game yet we elect not to be pro-active.

With only a few games to go I hope that this provides the opportunity to make changes when we don’t have momentum. Give players a licensee to run and carry, take risks, and most importantly to use their first option. We are to stop and start with ball movement all over the ground and particularly I50. Note the majority of our goals come from fast ball movement.

Can we PLEASE instruct players to run & spread and kick to space (advantage), can we PLEASE for a least 1 game not play a sling shot forward line structure or a least keep one forward in our I50 ....we might just all be surprised with the result?

BloodsFireUp
BloodsFireUp

Number of posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by MR BLOODHOUND on Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:44 pm

I totally agree with Lachlan . Leave Ellem at FF ,bring in Rana and Cleeland to do the ruck work > At least Rana and Cleeland can take a mark around the ground . Drop Parella and Hupfield . Try some of the other players in the Reserves in last 3 games .
MR BLOODHOUND
MR BLOODHOUND

Number of posts : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron on Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:42 am

Lachlan wrote:We had 42 inside 50’s for 8 goals WHAT A JOKE  AND THIS HAS BEEN AN ONGOING PROBLEM SINCE 2016.

We simply need to try something different against South and play 3 talls

Glenelg had 49 inside 50’s for 21 Goals

It defies logic. Why would you persist with a plan that prevents us from kicking winning scores. We have managed to crack the 10 goal mark on only 4 occasions. (Rounds 1, 2, 4 & 7) We have failed to do so on seven occasions. (Average 7.5 goals) As BloodsFireUp points out, this is the result of a defensive mind set. What's the point of focusing on processes and structures around the ground, but leaving the goal scoring up to chance. You have to plan to kick a winning score. BloodsFireUp and Lachlan are right in demanding a change. The current game plan is unlikely to win many games (evidence of the last 2 years) and this is even more unlikely once our opposition gets more than a 3 or 4 goal lead. Gavin has commented that the players need to respond more quickly to shifts in momentum. Maybe Gavin could be more pro-active and make a few innovative changes, rather than just sending a few extra players into defence. The best way to halt an opponent surging is to kick a few goals. We've been in a winning position on a few occasions this year after establishing a healthy lead, but failed to win. Why? It generally wasn't our ability to defend that let us down, but rather that we stopped scoring.
Gavin! It's broken and needs fixing.

PS
Lachlan, are you suggesting that Tommy isn't a league footballer? lol!

bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 208

Back to top Go down

Post by MR BLOODHOUND on Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:18 am

Solution to forward line . Bring in Cleeland and Rana to play as the ruckmen and leave Ellem at fullforward .
MR BLOODHOUND
MR BLOODHOUND

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:41 pm

Cleeland is not a ruckman. Just does not get his hand to the ball anywhere near often enough.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 899

Back to top Go down

Post by MR BLOODHOUND on Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:24 pm

Cleeland at least can take a mark around the ground and kick the ball , which the ruckman playing now ca'nt .
MR BLOODHOUND
MR BLOODHOUND

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian on Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:50 pm

Really good post BloodsFireUp.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 899

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan on Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:37 pm

BloodsFireUp.

You make some good points. I think at times we play a sling shot forward structure and other times we don’t. I think our ball movement from defence has been far to slow all year.
Our defensive players lack kicking skills. The only play who can kick is Dunkin. Ryan and Levicki don’t get much of the ball and when they do they kick short. Hill  has been a very good player for us but his kicking skills aren’t great. Agostino who played yesterday needs to improve his ball use dramatically. Duval makes good decisions and has been very good for us, however the season maybe catching up with him.
We need to recruit another small defender who can kick.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum