Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Players camp

+3
Oldfella
bruce cameron
firstblood
7 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Players camp  Empty Players camp

Post by firstblood Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:40 am

For those who didn't know, the players, coaching staff and a few volunteers went to Lyrup just north of Berri for a camp and training sessions over the weekend.
In stifling conditions on Saturday morning, the temperature was mid 30's light rain and the humidity was a whopping 90% . The players trained at the Berri oval for about 2 1/2 hours with a few officials from the Berri and Renmark football clubs looking on. In the afternoon back at the Lyrup lodgings which were fantastic,
The lodgings was actually the old Lyrup school converted to accommodate large sporting groups.
The players then spent some time playing group sports, basketball, tennis, cricket and hitting a few golf balls. The rest of the afternoon consisting of groups competing running and carrying truck tyres and players on backs through scrub land. By around the 5.30, the players were exhausted and time for a shower and relax time before heading to the Lyrup community club which was just a short walk away.
The players then enjoyed a great BBQ put on by the Lyrup community and had some fun playing lawn bowls and 8 ball. Many thanks go to the Lyrup bowling club for putting on a great meal and entertainment. They absolutely loved having the West Adelaide footy club being there.
Sunday morning. the players were up at 5 am and headed of for a 1k run to some sand dunes where they spent some time running up and down the sand.
Around 10 am they returned back to camp for a bit of recovery before heading to the Lyrup oval which was just behind where the players were staying and did  a 3/4 hour football session....then it was back to camp for a final chat from the coach before cleaning up and heading home at about 1pm.
It was a terrific camp, a great bonding session for the players in a wonderful part of our country zone.
The only complaint i have was, i had to stay at the Berri motel and the temperature of the swimming pool could have been 1 deg cooler Smile .
firstblood
firstblood

Number of posts : 414
Job/hobbies : The light keeper

Back to top Go down

Players camp  Empty Re: Players camp

Post by bruce cameron Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:06 am

Apart from the team bonding, it sounds like it was a great way of generating interest in our club and building positive relationships. Well done team.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 379
Job/hobbies : Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:15 am

Thanks for this mate -- I have attended many of these over the years and always walk away amazed at the efforts all put in especially the players.

Many thanks to those club volunteers who attended this time and in the past.

PS -- please advise how many laps of the oval you and Dits ran LOL

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 1038
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:25 am

Yes, oldfella, I've also been on all of these until this year and they're always good. Can remember Victor Harbor, Riverland many times, Mannum, Fort Largs, etc.

Good memories and I'm sure the players would have benefited greatly.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2164

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:38 pm

Great write up

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 667

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:42 am

Following on from the camp, tonight is a 'Volunteers' Night' at the club.

I'll be attending.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:48 pm

Would you mind volunteering to staff reception Lee?
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1343

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:50 pm

Aldo, you naughty boy --- the thought of Lee in a dress with makeup on has ruined my lunch for some reason.

No offense intended Lee Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 1038
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:05 pm

aldo russian wrote:Would you mind volunteering to staff reception Lee?

I think I've done nearly every job at the club, aldo, but they've knocked back every offer I've made to help in the last 12 months.

I'll have a wry smile when they tell the volunteers tonight how much they're appreciated Cool
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by macca Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:10 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:Following on from the camp, tonight is a 'Volunteers' Night' at the club.

I'll be attending.

are you still a volunteer lee
macca
macca

Number of posts : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:44 pm

Welcome to the forum, macca.

I think I am. Smile

I'm on the Hall of Fame Committee, have been for several years.

I'm on the Recruiting Committee to 'spot' players, but haven't attended or felt very welcome there for some months.

I had been on the Football Committee for many, many years, but after I was replaced as President, I was told by the Football Director that I 'didn't fit the criteria' to be on it any more.

I offered to assist in any way to the new President last June, but nothing has been offered.

When the President asked for members to serve on sub-committees at the Members' Forum, I put up my hand, but was knocked back. I was told he'd contact me when something arose. Nothing has arisen.

The club knows I'm willing to help, but nothing's been offered at all and no-one has spoken to me about it.

Hence my reference to a wry smile when I attend about my 30th volunteers' meeting tonight. Cool

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:30 pm

Report on the camp from the Club website

The Senior squad ventured to Lyrup last weekend for a preseason camp. The camp was an opportunity for players to spend some extended time together in both training and social environments. The theme or focus of the camp was on further developing trust within and between both the playing and coaching group. Saturday morning included a 2.5 hour training session at Berri Football Club. We were greeted by almost tropical conditions with humidity and rain. It was pleasing to see the players adjust to the wet conditions. It was also an opportunity to meet some of the Riverland Club coaches who joined the session. After the session, players returned to Lyrup to try their hand at other sports- golf, tennis, basketball and cricket. Whilst the competition was fierce, the standard was not! We certainly make better footballers than golfers!!

After lunch the players were set on a 3 hour team building run through the bushland. This included various team challenges, whilst also carrying teammates and truck tyres. Each challenge had a 10 minute limit for completion so the players needed to not only work together physically but also mentally to find solutions.

Saturday dinner was at the Lyrup Social Club, which was a great feed for 60 very hungry players. This was followed by a Lawn bowls competition. Thanks to the Lyrup Club for assisting.
Players were greeted with a 5.30am wake-up on Sunday morning and by 6am we headed off for a 2.5km run to our training venue for the morning- Lyrup sandhills. Here the players completed 2 individual races and 2 group races. Each represented a quarter of football. The group races required each team to carry a player (wrapped in a tarp) and a truck tyre around the course. Neither could touch the ground at any stage. Upon conclusion, the players again raced back to the accommodation whilst carrying a teammate and tyre. The exercise was built around teamwork and challenged players to maintain high performance under duress (a key element of trust). It was great to see the players excel at such a difficult challenge.

The camp concluded with another football training session which focused on our team defensive structures. Whilst sore and fatigued the player were challenged to maintain their focus and intensity.

Overall, the camp was a great success. All players proved their worth and their want to be part of our group going forward. Importantly, we will continue to reflect and draw upon the camp experience when challenged throughout the year.

A big thanks to Kelly and John from Padaley Lodge for providing a great venue and the Berri Bakehouse for lunch on Saturday. Also thanks to all the volunteers who assisted in the planning and coordination of the camp- we cannot run theses camps without your assistance.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum