Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Snelling

+16
firstblood
cuban
mikeme
Oldfella
Thiele
LukeO9
TAAARS
aldo russian
RODH2
The Axis
brodlach
Bottle Top
Lee Harradine
Wolf Pack
loppy19
Lachlan
20 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Snelling Empty Snelling

Post by Lachlan Mon May 27, 2019 6:20 pm

Snelling is off to Essendon from the Mid Season draft.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 1011

Back to top Go down

Snelling Empty Re: Snelling

Post by Lachlan Mon May 27, 2019 6:30 pm

Noble is off to Collingwood
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by loppy19 Mon May 27, 2019 6:36 pm

Well season was already done but that’s the midfield absolutely shafted. Stick a fork in it, bottom for the next decade.
loppy19
loppy19

Number of posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Mon May 27, 2019 6:37 pm

Good luck to both players but what a kick in the guts for our club!
We won’t even get compensated.
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 782

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon May 27, 2019 6:47 pm

This draft is a disgrace by the AFL.

All the best to John and Will. Presumably we get no compensation. Vital to recruit heavily now.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2164

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Mon May 27, 2019 6:53 pm

Congrats to both a Will and John.

Recruiting for next year MUST start now.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bottle Top Mon May 27, 2019 7:32 pm

this is just about the last straw for me.
what's the point of wasting my hard earned on renewing my membership next year?
losing players to the AFL at the end of season is what it is but this is unacceptable.
why should i be bothered turning up at the Parade on Friday?

Bottle Top
Bottle Top

Number of posts : 89

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Mon May 27, 2019 7:35 pm

Because if everyone does that we may as well shut the doors for good.

We weren’t going to play finals so let the blokes make a minimum of $70,000.

The club must start looking at 2020 already
brodlach
brodlach

Number of posts : 442

Back to top Go down

Post by loppy19 Mon May 27, 2019 7:46 pm

Problem is we don’t have the dollars to compete for the players required to replace them, so we may as well play 18 yo’s And be a development squad in a feeder league that gets pillaged whenever....
loppy19
loppy19

Number of posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Post by Bottle Top Mon May 27, 2019 8:17 pm

brodlach wrote:Because if everyone does that we may as well shut the doors for good.

The club must  start looking at 2020 already
no one begrudges Will and John making some dollars, good luck to them.
people are peeved because it happens in the middle of a footy seson.
would you still feel the same if we were top 3 and gunning for a flag?
Bottle Top
Bottle Top

Number of posts : 89

Back to top Go down

Post by The Axis Mon May 27, 2019 8:46 pm

Firstly, my congratulations to Will and John on a wonderful opportunity. I guess it’s every young footballers dream to play at the highest level so best wishes to both of them.
This whole mid season draft is however terrible for all clubs that lose players at this time of a season.
It was supposed to be put in place to cover clubs that lose a player to a season ending injury. With the greatest respect to WS & JN I cant see them playing this year. Their fitness base won’t be anywhere near that required for an AFL game.  Essendon lost 200cm Joe Daniher last week for the year, Cant see WS at 176cm replacing his position. They will now just be on the draft clubs list, playing in the VFL. Why can’t the AFL see this for what it is? Decimate the league teams at the next level just so AFL teams can put another one their list. With no compensation for the team losing a player or in our case 2 players. So narrow minded and no regard for the leagues which provide for all AFL teams. The lack of regard is further shown by having a picture of WS on the AFL website tonight in a Port prison bar guernsey. At least he doesn’t have to change his colours going to Essendon. Could we ask the AFL to make 2 Norwood midfielders sit out this weeks game? If not, could we ask ScoMo for some assistance? He believes in miracles.
The Axis
The Axis

Number of posts : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Mon May 27, 2019 9:14 pm

What axis said, money and utter greed are the winners, (and I do not mean the players, and the opportunity "presented")
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 363

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Mon May 27, 2019 9:33 pm

Why not have one of these drafts every week, so they can replace whichever AFL players get injured each round.
The AFL's contempt for state leagues, and I think particularly ours, has once again come to the fore for all to see.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1343

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Mon May 27, 2019 9:48 pm

Axis,

I agree with you 100%.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon May 27, 2019 10:20 pm

Just another example of the powerful making their own rules.

WeOur only option is to have a full salary cap, be smart in who we recruit, play our promising juniors and rebuild.

There are likely to be one or two ex-Wrst AFL players available at the end of the year also.

Last edited by Lee Harradine on Tue May 28, 2019 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS Mon May 27, 2019 10:35 pm

The SANFL has become a joke thanks to the AFL. Here we are a bottom side that loses 2 players.
I doubt if we will win another game this year now. South would also be spewing but at least they only lost 1. It is getting harder and harder to to turn up to games. Agree 100% with Axis.
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 315

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 Tue May 28, 2019 9:50 am

I appreciate the well wishes given to Will and John, but what is any SANFL club without its members'/supporters' enthusiasm?
The Crows reserve side is what it is.
LukeO9
LukeO9

Number of posts : 151

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Tue May 28, 2019 1:41 pm

Firstly, let me congratulate both John Noble and Will Snelling on their selection in the mid-season draft last night. Both of these young men have represented our club and themselves extremely well during the season so far and deserve their chance at the next level. They are quality people and will be sorely missed at Westies.
Secondly, I’d like all members to know that Westies stand with all SANFL clubs in firm opposition to the mid-season draft. We have repeatedly made the point that this has significant effect on our club, our members, our supporters and all involved at Westies. Unfortunately, that information has not been enough to change the decision and we now face the rest of the season without two key components of our team who have been part of the planning for season 2019 since well before the season commenced.
Our challenge now is to continue to find improvement and not let these setbacks define us. Our coach, the players and the club as a whole are committed to doing everything possible to drive Westies forward for the remainder of season 2019. We should be proud of the fact that our club has produced two players worthy of selection into an AFL club and wish them both the best in the next phase of their career.
Regards,
Ben Hopkins
CEO

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 667

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Tue May 28, 2019 8:02 pm

Bottle Top wrote:
brodlach wrote:Because if everyone does that we may as well shut the doors for good.

The club must  start looking at 2020 already
no one begrudges Will and John making some dollars, good luck to them.
people are peeved because it happens in the middle of a footy seson.
would you still feel the same if we were top 3 and gunning for a flag?

You missed my point. I’m not happy they are going. My point was if we all stopped going to games or didn’t renew memberships then the club is dead. That’s what was in your original post b
brodlach
brodlach

Number of posts : 442

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue May 28, 2019 8:19 pm

It's a time for us all to stand up and make something better from this.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 Wed May 29, 2019 6:01 am

Lee Harradine wrote:It's a time for us all to stand up and make something better from this.
I've been thinking about a form of "taking a stand" by supporters that would have a significant effect on the AFL without affecting SANFL clubs.
....still thinking.

I do like the idea of contracts that stipulate a full season's presence.
I must add that potential action(s) would not interfere with Clubs actively supporting their players' progression to the AFL (an ongoing and well-known fact), BETWEEN SEASONS.
LukeO9
LukeO9

Number of posts : 151

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Wed May 29, 2019 8:17 am

The reality is there is little that the SANFL or SANFL clubs can do to take a stand against the AFL and any of their decisions --- face facts.

So all that can happen is that the SANFL makes changes to assist those clubs affected by the mid season draft --- for example:

1.   Get all clubs on same salary cap.

2.   All salary cap costs for a player in the season he is mid year drafted be cancelled from that years salary cap total --- this money can be used by the club as a one off boost to next years salary cap to assist recruitment.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 1038
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Wed May 29, 2019 8:42 am

There's no way of helping a club to cover the loss of a key player mid season, and there's no way of compensating a club if it effectively costs them a premiership or some higher finish, but what is the justification for offering no compensation at all to the club, as they'd get if the player was taken at any other draft?
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1343

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Wed May 29, 2019 8:54 am

aldo russian wrote:There's no way of helping a club to cover the loss of a key player mid season, and there's no way of compensating a club if it effectively costs them a premiership or some higher finish, but what is the justification for offering no compensation at all to the club, as they'd get if the player was taken at any other draft?

Great Question mate

Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 1038
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme Wed May 29, 2019 2:08 pm

Just a Random thought,

Would the SANFL look at a Mid-Season trade among SANFL Clubs without TRANSFER FEES so that players who are not getting a league game with their club transfer to a club where they may have a better chance of one.

We must look ahead and not behind and I am pretty sure that the AFL will be looking at a Mid - Season draft in the next few years.

SANFL need to get innovative to improve/equalize our competition and they need do it fast.
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum