Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bloods v Eagles second semi final report

+9
LukeO9
firstblood
blacky
Lee Harradine
billrobs1
Mark Beswick
Wolf Pack
Lachlan
blackandred
13 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Bloods v Eagles second semi final report Empty Bloods v Eagles second semi final report

Post by blackandred Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:35 pm

As bad as Westies played today there were a lot of positives to take from the game. If we can overcome Centrals next week we will be much better prepared to take on the Eagles again in the GF although they will start as favourites.

The Eagles won a tough game by 14 pts, WWT 11.13, WA 9.11.

We got better as the game progressed. Woeful early, we couldn’t break clear because of the relentless Eagles pressure as they forced us into error and indecision. Once again, their 2 big forwards, Ainger and Wundke, were critical to them kicking a winning score. They contributed 6 of their 11 goals.

But with the temp at 29 degrees our fitness saw us run out the game well, as indeed we have done each time we have played them this year. Their crushing physical attack on the body will gradually take a toll on them and they looked vulnerable in the last Q when we started running and had ten scoring shots (3.7) to their 4 (1.3).

We had more kicks, handballs and marks than the Eagles (most of them under intense pressure.) Both teams went inside 50 x 41 times and had around the same number of tackles. The main discrepancy was in free kicks with the Eagles having 15 to our ten.
Shannon Green booted 5 behinds. You wouldn’t expect him to be that bad again.

At the last change the Eagles led by 30 pts. We then started to play on and develop our running game. Suddenly, holes appeared in the Eagles defence and we started to fight back with some good goals. If Green had scored from a set shot late in the Q the difference would have been 4 pts but he missed and the Eagles scored from the kick-in and the game was gone.

Fielke went off with, what seemed to be concussion in the first Q and had no further impact on the game. When Logan Hill regains consciousness from a heavy fall he should ask Adam Hartlett what happened. But the Eagles also lost key players with, what looked to be bad injuries. Rowntree and Poole looked to have serious knee injuries and they will be lucky to play again this year. Both teams ended the game with only one player on the bench.

Our best player was Jason Porplyzia because he tried to make things happen all day. Against the defensive Eagles you need creativity and Porplyzia delivered along with Snelling and Haysman. Special mention must be made of Aaron Anderson’s amazing right foot goal from the wrong pocket at the southern end.

We won the ruck but lost the clearances. Our three big men, Willets, Webb and Middleton took 3 marks between them. Webb kicked 2 goals in his first game back, Willets rucked manfully but Middleton was disappointing and will be lucky to play next week. Beech was well held so with Fielke injured and Green kicking 5 behinds we had reduced forward firepower but we only lost by 14 pts.

Get through next week with no injuries and players to return and we can give the big one our best shot. Who knows what might happen.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 252

Back to top Go down

Bloods v Eagles second semi final report Empty Re: Bloods v Eagles second semi final report

Post by Lachlan Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:04 pm

B&R

A very good report.

I thought we played safe footy until the last quarter.
We actually took some risks and moved the ball quickly.

In the first 3 quarters we allowed the Eagles to dictate the game.
Next week against Central we need to take the game on
with quick movement of the ball which is why we have been successful this year.

Porps was best by the length of the Flemington Straight.
He took the game by the scruff of the neck in the last quarter.

Ainger and Wundke are the best two key forwards in the competition
And that's a big reason why the Eagles won

RECRUITING COMMITTEE WE NEED TO SIGN A QUALITY KEY FORWARD
WE HAVENT HAD ONE SINCE BRADSHAW.
Fielke and Green have been fantastic this year. They will be even better
next year if we sign a key forward.
Webb as well would be a better player with another key forward.

Best players
Porplyzia,Stevens,Schiller,Helbig, Willits and Schmidt

I also thought Nick Homburg did some good things today. His ball use was much better

This club needs another crack at the Eagles and it's going to be very tough
Nxt week to beat Central

Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 1011

Back to top Go down

Bloods v Eagles second semi final report Empty Re: Bloods v Eagles second semi final report

Post by Wolf Pack Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:06 pm

Well done to the boys for fighting back in the last qtr but our 2nd and 3rd quarters were rubbish.
We turned the ball over and the Eagles hurt us on the counter attack. They set up well and and have a better forward line with Wundke and Ainger. They kicked 6 goals between them.
Greeny had a shocker and can't miss 5 chances next week. Webby was ok in his first game back. Kicked 2 and competed.
Middleton had one kick for the game!!!! Must be dropped. We have injury problems and face a Centrals team full of confidence.
Can we get up and get another crack at the Eagles.....
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 782

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:17 pm

I hope Hill and Fielke are ok for next week
We badly missed Silverlock he is very underrated and he can kick a goal

I agree with Wolf Pack that Middleton has done very  little the past few weeks.
He doesn't seem fit to me and he had a limited Pre-Season.
The kid can play however he needs to complete a proper Pre-Season

Maybe Hardy gets another crack given that he can play back as well.
Not sure about Francis he obviously hasn't recovered from his health issues
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 1011

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:28 pm

No doubt Middleton can play, but the facts are he had 3 kicks last week and one today. Francis will give us more than that maybe Riley Mine??
Agree with you Lachlan re. Silverlock. Has a great kick and been good this year, but he won't be there next week.

Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 782

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Beswick Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:55 pm

If hill doesnt come up (hopeful he does) does Agostino cone into contention?
Mark Beswick
Mark Beswick

Number of posts : 314

Back to top Go down

Post by billrobs1 Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:13 am

Gee haven't our expectations increased!!!!

I'm am really happy that we got within a few kicks of the the side who have dominated all year.
We showed enough to think we are a genuine chance in the GF if we can get there.

Some of Tuck's work was simply superb.....if only he can get another 10 disposals a game!

Porp was also magnificent.
billrobs1
billrobs1

Number of posts : 143

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:59 am

Sorry ST, but here's my random thoughts:

Losing isn't good enough.

The boys will need to show resilence and character and they will.

Webby's return is a big plus and his goalkicking has been excellent in his last few games.

Will Snelling's work was excellent all day.

Our positional changes in the last quarter looked really good and Hugh Haysman gave us pace and run.

Jason Porplyzia is a champion.

Centre clearances cost us.

Selection will be critical this week, but the coaches will pick the right team for Central.

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2164

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:19 pm

Don’t know if anyone else picked this up but at the 3Q time huddle our senior coaching staff seemed to be seriously considering putting Aaron Fielke’s No 9 jumper onto our team manager. Theory being that his blistering pace would enable us to break through the Eagles defence and his youthful good looks would confuse the opposition into thinking Fielke’s had made a miraculous recovery.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 252

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:33 pm

I didn't know you had a listening device in the huddle, B&R!

That is all correct Very Happy
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2164

Back to top Go down

Post by blacky Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:17 pm

blackandred wrote:Don’t know if anyone else picked this up but at the 3Q time huddle our senior coaching staff seemed to be seriously considering putting Aaron Fielke’s No 9 jumper onto our team manager. Theory being that his blistering pace would enable us to break through the Eagles defence and his youthful good looks would confuse the opposition into thinking Fielke’s had made a miraculous recovery.
it wouldnt fit
blacky

Number of posts : 251

Back to top Go down

Post by firstblood Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:28 pm

Mark Beswick wrote:If hill doesnt come up  (hopeful he does)  does Agostino cone into contention?

Both Hill and Fielke ruled out for this weeks Preliminary match v Central.

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/3180/
firstblood
firstblood

Number of posts : 414
Job/hobbies : The light keeper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:19 pm

Random Thoughts.

1. Once again we got shafted by crap umpiring.
2. Thought Stevens and Schiller had average games.
3. Lots of good ruckwork was wasted today by midfielders that fumbled the ball.
4. Well done to Bomber for rucking all day by himself. Should still be playing for us.
5. Ando needs to play forward next week for Fielkes and Agostino to take his spot. I would also bring in Newell to take Hills spot. This guy is a tagger that can do a job on Sunday.
6. Poor Harts played 3 quarters on one leg. Hardy to come back in if needed or to replace Middleton.
7. Don't know what is wrong with Beechy but we need him to stand up quickly.
8. Greeny needs to regain his goal kicking accuracy.
9. Well done to Webby for his first game back.
10. Centrals look good but we can belt them on Sunday.
11. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:08 pm

I thought it was one of West's best games of the year.
I can't remember seeing even one unforced error by WWT. And for us, maybe 3 or 4 for the whole game. Strangely, 2 came from Schmidt....I bet we won't ever see that again.
Very good sides like WWT can make good teams look ordinary, but I firmly believe West played a great game. The ball seemed to bounce straight into their hands often yesterday, something that statistically can't happen all the time.
I thought we didn't work out the most effective play with the breeze in the 2nd Q until midway through, but I didn't see any other obvious problems......and I really thought we could do it until Green missed in the last Q.
That's 3 times this year we have forced WWT into semi-capitulation in the last Q....they're vulnerable.
We can beat them in the GF...just one game away from getting another go at the best, yet West-induced-late-fade-prone team of the year.
But one game at a time.....an "on fire" Central will be hard.
Bring it on.
LukeO9
LukeO9

Number of posts : 151

Back to top Go down

Post by captainblood Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:47 pm

I thought too much of the game was played on the Eagles terms yesterday.
They closed us down and gave us no space. We had to chip the ball around or kick down the line because we didn't move the ball quick enough.
Our overuse of the handball was particularly bad taking that one or two extra  handballs that were unnecessary and put us in trouble.
Early our clearance set up up around the ground were poor.
So many times the Eagles cleared the ball on their defensive side of a ruck contest with a quick handball to a free man. We just didn't  match up or cover that option in the first half.
We also couldn't take a contested mark in the forward fifty.

Once we moved the ball on quickly and started to run we nearly could have pinched the game.
IMO we need to bring in a Francis or Harding to add an extra dimension to the forward line and perhaps cover Hartlett who looked pretty sore.
We have to play Agostino to cover for Logan Hill.
Haysman was superb with his run and Porps really showed why he is a legitimate champion.

Centrals are a good team so we need to be brave and play the running football we know we can.
captainblood
captainblood

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by mailman Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:24 pm

again i think the umpires were against us in first half. we allowed eagles to play the game on there terms for the first half.did enjoy the way the boys responded in the last quarter. especially cosidering our players who were not able to play in the last quarter. l thought if we had been more accurate in front of goals we would have won match. but still believe we will beat dogs so long s we get on top early and stop there great verbal support. and then bring on the eagles.
mailman
mailman

Number of posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by scorpion Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:35 pm

What's the difference between West and the Eagles 2 KPF's

Schmitty concentrate on the ball not the tagger You're better than them

MY CHANGES
Anderson to the F/Pocket  (Fielke's Spot)
Agostino to the H/B/Flank  (Hill's Spot)
Francis for Middleton
Milne
Hommy to worry the crap out of Milera

Fingers X Harts leg is ok

Last edited by scorpion on Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
scorpion
scorpion

Number of posts : 256

Back to top Go down

Post by mailman Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:57 pm

scorpion you are still one player short as ando is already in side
mailman
mailman

Number of posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post by beaglex Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:59 pm

mailman wrote:scorpion you are still one player short as ando is already in side

He has brought in Milne
beaglex
beaglex

Number of posts : 49

Back to top Go down

Post by beaglex Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:01 pm

mailman wrote:again i think the umpires were against us in first half. we allowed eagles to play the game on there terms for the first half.did enjoy the way the boys responded in the last quarter. especially cosidering our players who were not able to play in the last quarter. l thought if we had been more accurate in front of goals we would have won match. but still  believe we will beat dogs so long s we get on top early and stop there great verbal support. and then bring on the eagles.

Agree with everything you've said mailman.

Free kicks at 3/4 time were Eagles 15 to us 5!

beaglex
beaglex

Number of posts : 49

Back to top Go down

Post by scorpion Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:21 pm

Yeah have added Milne to my Post
scorpion
scorpion

Number of posts : 256

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down