Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bloods v Eagles match report

+12
dl550
Bloodntars
scorpion
brodlach
bundy
westiesforever
Lee Harradine
Lachlan
Thiele
Mypaspective
Wolf Pack
blackandred
16 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bloods v Eagles match report Empty Bloods v Eagles match report

Post by blackandred Sat 11 Apr - 18:32

In a cracking encounter at Woodville Oval Westies held on for an inspirational, come from behind, 6 point win.

At the 20 minute mark of the 3rdQ the Eagles had cleared out to a 30pt margin but such is the character of this new-look Bloods team they came from behind with a 6 goal last Q to win against a determined Eagles outfit.

It was a tough contest for the ball all day. While it’s hard to pinpoint just where Westies won their fierce tacking was a standout. To out-tackle the tough Eagles 57 to 42 says it all. In his first game Will Snelling had 9 tackles and to cap it off snapped, what turned out to be, the winning goal.

Q by Q scores:
1Q WWT 3.2 2Q 6.3 3Q 12.4 4Q 14.5
1QWA 2.0 2Q 6.3 3Q 9.4 4Q 15.5

Hardy didn’t play and Turner dropped out of the named team. Willets and Webb shared the ruck duties. Keough and Hartlett shared responsibilities for Ainger and Wundke. Apart from that pretty much everyone seemed to play every position on the field at some point.

Schmidt and Silverlock were our leading possession winners. Tuck, while down the list was probably our best for the enormous influence he had on the game. He uses his strength to impose himself into the contest and he played a key part of our last Q comeback.

It was warm at Woodville today and fitness was always going to play a part. Maybe the Eags used up too much petrol in the 3Q when they kicked 6 goals (Ainger 4) because we ran out the game better. There were times in the last Q when we tended to revert to a defensive style, kicking the ball backwards while sitting on a 2 goal lead with plenty of time left – scary stuff.

Riley Milne was our unlikely leading goalkicker with 4.2. He kicked 2 of these in the last Q. All too often he slipped the tight Eagles defence and made them pay. Wasley-Black and Helbig made terrific debuts. Kaine Stevens is a yard quicker than last year and his game was excellent. Keogh did well down back and Hartlett was good early. Schiller, with 19 possessions and 6 tackles played a key midfield role. Willets competed well in ruck against an improved Bornholm and the giant 201cm Mullins. Agostino was beaten by the dangerous McGregor but did some excellent work at times. He would have learnt a lot today.

We still lack a key forward, the Eagles have 3, but, hey, we still won with ten players scoring goals. Caire and Hardy should be available for the next game. Umpiring favoured the Eagles but this could be put down, in part, to our crunching tackles.

The 2s went down 14.11 to 10.3. Nelson dominated the ruck but needs to take more field marks for a man of his height. He is learning to palm the ball to team-mates rather than punch it and it was a little suprising he didn’t play league today.

blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 252

Back to top Go down

Bloods v Eagles match report Empty Re: Bloods v Eagles match report

Post by Wolf Pack Sat 11 Apr - 18:46

Well done to the lads, looked gone in the third but fought back and showed some character.
Good to see some fast attacking footy from our boys.
The game was a cracker. So much more enjoyable when there are plenty of goals kicked.
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 782

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Sat 11 Apr - 19:08

Great report as usual B&R.

What impressed me the most was the fact hat we worked so hard, never gave in & came from 2 serious deficits of about 4 goals each time to win a fantastic game.

How long since we have won at Woodville in fact we didn't win one away game all last season.

Only early but the signs are good. GO BLOODS!!!!
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Number of posts : 372

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Sat 11 Apr - 19:22

Signs are good. Great response from the boys to fight back the way they did.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 667

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Sat 11 Apr - 20:43

It was a fantastic win today. To come from 30 points down late in the 3rd quarter is a real credit to the whole team.
We had many more inside 50's then the the Eagles but we didn't have a key forward to take a contested mark

Two things really stood out for me today.

1.I thought our foot skills were very good and our Captain really stood out in this area
2. Our tackling was outstanding which meant we were switched on for the whole day.
When you have players such as Helbig,Tuck and Snelling who love to tackle it makes a difference to the whole side

I thought Helbig and Wasley- Black were the best of our new players and certainly would figure in our best players.

PORPS is a forward first and a midfielder second
TUCK is a midfielder first and a forward second. He changed the game when he was moved into the midfield. Playing from a forward pocket and not CHF would be a better option for him if he was to play mostly as a forward

Of the young kids Snelling was good and got better as the game went on.
Agostino was beaten by Mc Gregor but did a couple of nice things
Haysman is only small and he struggled today.

Special mention to Tom Keough who gave Wundke a bath.

With Hardy dropping out from the selected side I was surprised Nelson didn't come into the side and Webb play as a key forward for the whole day. I thought we were one tall short.

My Best players today were, Schmidt,Silverlock, Keough, Helbig, Wasley- Black and Stevens who's ball use was much better than last year.
I also thought Josh Schiller did a few good things. He is an inside mid for sure as he lacks leg speed.

With Hardy and Caire back next week Haysman and Hill maybe the unlucky players to miss out from today.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 1011

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat 11 Apr - 22:43

It was really nice to meet Kaine Stevens father, George, today and I very much appreciated his kind words about the Blood's Forum.  Also good to watch Kaine play so well, in a great team effort.

It's a different West from last year now and the style of play is exciting to watch when it clicks.  A lot to look forward to, with luck.

Big props to our fitness coach, Sean Baker, also.

Last edited by Lee Harradine on Sat 11 Apr - 23:44; edited 1 time in total
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2164

Back to top Go down

Post by westiesforever Sat 11 Apr - 23:26

Love reading all these positive remarks ! I walked away from the ground today feeling really excited that even when the Eagles kicked away and our skills let us down the Endevour and spirit was still there which, when the skills improved saw the team through for a great attacking win . They look so impressive running the lines and linking up with system. I agree that Porps is a forward first those goals he kicked showed us the elite finisher we've lacked and with an extra tall up forward when Hardy comes back fit our forward line suddenly has some real dangerous potency . The whole side looked really strong and fit too I could keep going on and on but I won't lol , bring on the crows !
westiesforever
westiesforever

Number of posts : 50

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Sun 12 Apr - 9:22

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy Sun 12 Apr - 10:22

Good onya JT
bundy
bundy

Number of posts : 460
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Sun 12 Apr - 10:54

Also it was good to see you picked us to win BUNDY.

Get that drum out of the cupboard & beat it hard & loud all year for the boys. We miss you at the games.

We need your support mate hopefully an exciting year of footy will assist you with your health.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Sun 12 Apr - 11:16

Well said myperspctive
brodlach
brodlach

Number of posts : 442

Back to top Go down

Post by scorpion Sun 12 Apr - 13:54

My gripe is We must have better Umpires Yesterday's umps
where a JOKE
Any way here's yesterdays STATS

Bloods v Eagles match report UoKOkIp
scorpion
scorpion

Number of posts : 256

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy Sun 12 Apr - 14:01

Mypaspective wrote:Also it was good to see you picked us to win BUNDY.

Get that drum out of the cupboard & beat it hard & loud all year for the boys. We miss you at the games.

We need your support mate hopefully an exciting year of footy will assist you with your health.

Cheers MP bought tears to my eyes true story,no one have ever said that to me before,especially from the Club i love.
bundy
bundy

Number of posts : 460
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Sun 12 Apr - 14:28

Cheers mate I care for all true blue Bloods people. They are special for the survival of our wonderful footy club.

Good Health. It is more important than anything, even a premiership.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

Post by Bloodntars Sun 12 Apr - 14:43

Still buzzing after yesterday.

Probably our best win since to qualifying final in 2013.

Surprised Snelling wasn't listed in the best players. His tackling is ferocious and is going to have a lot of players panicking whenever they get the ball near him.

Keough smashed Wundke again. Should be almost a lock for the state team after probably only just missing out last year.

Willits leadership and voice is outstanding. Was a bit slow with his disposal at times but that will come back after playing in a much lesser league the last couple of years.

Going to be some unlucky players miss out with Caire and probably Hardy to come back in next week.

Exciting times ahead.
Bloodntars
Bloodntars

Number of posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Apr - 15:12

Random thoughts.

1. Great gutsy win by the boys made better by the fact that we attacked all day.
2. Only time we looked in trouble was when we went back to the chip the ball around the backline crap from yesteryear and coughed up two goals and nearly lost the match.
3. Tuck and Schmidt fantastic attack on the ball.
4. First half kicking into the forward 50 was rubbish. Second half was much better.
5. Well done to Milne. We now have a CHF for the next few weeks.
6. Thought Willits stood up well and competed all day.
7. West tackled hard all day and this probably won us the match.
8. Don't think i have ever seen so many Eagle players duck their heads all day and get cheap frees. Crap effort by the players and the umpires.
9. Backline did well for most of the day.
10. Porps and Helbig should kick more and handball less. Both are great kicks.
11. Bring on the crows next week. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by dl550 Sun 12 Apr - 17:59

Whilst i managed to get to all 3 trial matches - i couldn't attend yesterday due to work commitments. I managed to check the score a first time when we were 19 points down in the second quarter and had thoughts of "another long season ahead despite all the promise". The next time i checked the score was near half time when we came back and levelled the scores.

I was having a break during the 3rd quarter and listening intently as the Eagles opened up a 30 point lead. Turned the radio off and accepted our defeat. At my next free opportunity about 20 mins later i checked the score to see how much we were losing by about 8 minutes into the final quarter...well you could imagine my astonishment to see we were ahead by one point! Had to refresh my phones browser! Overall really satisfying to see us get the victory in a match where we could have easily been demolished when the eagles got in front.

Whilst i can understand fellow supporters being up and about in regards to such a gutsy and hard fought win, can i also caution them of some realities:

-We've ran over the Eagles late in the game a few times in recent years, not least to mention the 2013 finals series where we were up and about after defeating them....only to go out in straight sets after that. Whilst the win is nice, we need to get back on the horse next week. It's only the first match of the season. After all, we beat Port last year - yet they made the grand final - we finished second last. It's about consistency, and not just having one good win here and there.

-Whilst we can be happy about the comeback and endeavour - and also our ability to score quickly - we still need to play 4 quarter footy. It is not good enough to be patchy here and there. Consistent 4 quarter efforts are needed. This will have to be improved if we are to be a contender.

-I'm still worried about our defense as a whole - whilst there are some well performed players there - Keough, Hartlett - under Collins our biggest strength was our ability to restrict teams from scoring. This has been one of Norwood's strength in recent years. We need to stop allowing quick goals to be scored against us. Happened a few times in trial matches. Last year we let too many teams get a run on and score quickly against us - for example against Norwood and North where we lead at 3 quarter time only to have them run over the top of us. It happened yesterday allowing the Eagles to get a run on in the third quarter. This is dangerous and needs also to be addressed if we are to be a contender.

Overall, a solid start to the year and a positive performance, but let's take it with a grain of salt.

Really looking forward to Friday night at City Mazda.
dl550
dl550

Number of posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by scorpion Sun 12 Apr - 18:00

Just a thought
How come the Umpires uniforms where GREEN

I see the Runners of both Clubs had Green

Maybe the Runners could change their co-lour to   Smile Smile Smile
scorpion
scorpion

Number of posts : 256

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sun 12 Apr - 18:48

Excellent post, dl550.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 12 Apr - 18:51

'under Collins our biggest strength was our ability to restrict teams from scoring. This has been one of Norwood's strength in recent years. We need to stop allowing quick goals to be scored against us'.

Funny how our biggest strength never helped us to beat Norwood. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by dl550 Sun 12 Apr - 19:19

I agree, that's cause Norwood were damn good at it too Very Happy !!

Wouldn't you agree it was our biggest strength under Collins?

I'm not saying i prefer Collins game style or anything, i just admired the fact that it was hard for teams to score against us.

Norwood were (still are) so good at suffocating sides - especially us. The only reason they were better than us defensively in those years (2012/13) and we couldn't beat them was they had the superior hand/kicking ball movement skills and applied better tackling pressure. We would always turn it over in our defensive forward 50 because of their applied pressure. The time we beat them in 2012 (and other time when we came close to beating them in that match where Rodan kicked the goal after the siren) our skills were superior on those days and we were able to get it over the top and moving quickly.
dl550
dl550

Number of posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Sun 12 Apr - 19:55

Highlights from up now on the SANFL website from about the 7 min mark http://www.sanfl.com.au/

2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Sun 12 Apr - 20:10

Di550

A good post for sure. The crows will be a much better side than last year and they nearly beat North at Prospect.
We need to find a key marking target up forward that's for sure. Hardy should be back next week and hopefully Webby will spend more time up there as well. When you have 17 more inside 50's than your opposition you really should win by a more than 6 points
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 1011

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamo Mon 13 Apr - 8:12

What a game! What a good start for the club. At 3 qtr time. i was still proud of the boys, with how they played. It was 100% improvement on last season, loved the pressure we put on them at all times of the game. Good to here nelson got 62 hit outs on the reserves Smile he just needs to anger in him.

RED BLACK 2015.
Jamo
Jamo

Number of posts : 189
Job/hobbies : Accounts Manager Timber Wholesale

Back to top Go down

Post by Mypaspective Mon 13 Apr - 8:58

Good onya Jamo. Nearly a Nelson supporter by the sounds of it. What a turn around.

Don't forget big men are like rocking horse droppings. You just have to persevere with some of his weaknesses. He desperately wants to get back in but with Willo, Webby & Hardy (to come in) he will have to just continue to dominate in hit outs in the two's until he gets his opportunity.
Mypaspective
Mypaspective

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum