Post by Lee Harradine Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:09 am

To be announced today?
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2009

Back to top Go down

Coach Empty Re: Coach

Post by bruce cameron Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:53 am

Lee Harradine wrote:To be announced today?

Let's hope the candidate pool included some excellent options. I'm still confused as to why the position was not posted on the club's website. Surely, transparency would have dictated that it was posted somewhere on the site, even if it was just included under Resources.

Fingers crossed that this coach is still around longer than the initial contract period. Let's also hope that improvement is measured in games won rather than nebulous criteria such as a slight improvement in some statistics.

bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 358
Job/hobbies : Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by Coolie Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:05 pm

I emailed the club after the applications closed and asked two questions.
Who was on the selection panel and how many applicants were received.
Fairly innocuous questions I would have thought. Still waiting for a response ??
Coolie

Number of posts : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:26 pm

Haven't heard anything either.

Adam Hartlett would surely be a candidate.

Have heard Michael Godden might be, but that's just rumour.

Perhaps someone nobody has heard of?
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:27 pm

Adam Hartlett appointed coach.

All the best, Adam.

(PS: Clicked on the website story and the link only goes to an error message).

Last edited by Lee Harradine on Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:34 pm

Harts has the job.
If our improved showing in the last part of the season was truly because of his greater influence, then this is a cause for optimism. One advantage of this appointment is that we don't have to waste another year while a new coach works out who is and who isn't up to League standard. One concern is that these appointments from within the club have not worked out in the past - Trevor Hughes, Wayne Weidemann, Gavin Colville. Good luck to him.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1234

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:44 pm

Adam Hartlett appointed Men's Senior Coach

The West Adelaide Football Club is delighted to announce the appointment of Adam Hartlett as the club’s next SANFL Men’s Senior Coach.

As a former Vice-Captain and Premiership winner for West Adelaide, Hartlett quickly moved into coaching following his playing career, spending time with Imperials Football Club in the Sunraysia Football League as an assistant coach in 2017; Co-Head Coach in 2018 and Head Coach in 2019. Adam also did some coaching with younger age groups which included the Bendigo Pioneers (controlling the Sunraysia region) and GWS Academy in Wentworth NSW.

Adam and his family moved back to Adelaide in 2020, where he landed a role as coach of the Glenelg Football Club Development Team in the SANFL working under 2019 Premiership Coach Mark Stone.

After one year with Glenelg, Adam’s passion led him to return to West Adelaide to further grow his coaching pedigree. In 2021 he was appointed as the backline coach for the League team, then elevated to Assistant Coach / Midfield coach for the 2022 season.

West Adelaide Football Club Chief Executive Officer Conny Wilson said Hartlett’s appointment marked the next chapter in the evolution of the football club.

“On behalf of the Board and entire organisation, l’m thrilled to confirm Adam Hartlett as our new Head Coach,” Wilson said.

“After a thorough and considered selection process, Adam’s vision for the club, our players and our people made him the standout candidate for the job.

Adam has outstanding values that align with the Bloods, and with his recent coaching experience he is an exceptional tactical coach, a clear communicator and someone who brings people together.

We – and Adam – believe success isn’t far away and we are excited to have him lead us into our next chapter as a club.

This is an incredibly exciting day for our club and Adam will not only take our playing group and football department forward but will help continue to grow our brand within SA and our local and regional zones”.

West Adelaide Football Club President Murray Forbes expressed the Club’s best wishes to Adam on his appointment as Senior Coach.

“I’m confident that Adam will produce great results for Westies. He has earned enormous respect within the playing group and with Club supporters. He is a great motivator and a passionate West Adelaide person. He has worked tirelessly during his time at the Club and we all wish him the greatest of success. We look forward to the positive influence he will have on our results in the future.”

bundy
bundy

Number of posts : 448
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:09 pm

aldo russian wrote:Harts has the job.
If our improved showing in the last part of the season was truly because of his greater influence, then this is a cause for optimism. One advantage of this appointment is that we don't have to waste another year while a new coach works out who is and who isn't up to League standard. One concern is that these appointments from within the club have not worked out in the past - Trevor Hughes, Wayne Weidemann, Gavin Colville. Good luck to him.

Yes, congratulations and good luck Adam.

I'm not sure what transpired in the last part of the season, but I also got the impression that Adam did indeed exhibit greater influence, no doubt as a result of being given a more prominent role and perhaps also as a result of players losing confidence in the senior coach. I agree that this might be a cause for some optimism. As for previous appointments from within the club failing, there have been many others from elsewhere that have also failed.
Adam was inspirational on the field; let's hope he's just as inspirational off the field.

Go Bloods

PS
Pretty good CV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYDyy5bHcEs&t=450s
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:34 pm

Congrats to Adam, he’s a very passionate Westies person.
I really hope he can improve our on field performance, it can’t get any worse.
He’s young and he has the enthusiasm to succeed.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 948

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:05 pm

Great looking back on that video, Bruce.

Harts was terrific for us. Two things stand out, all the players in that video have gone and look at the sizeable crowds in the video highlights.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:26 pm

I think the club has made the correct decision to appoint Adam Hartlett as senior coach. I also thought the club had made the correct decision to appoint Brad Gotch and Gavin Colville.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 230

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:52 am

blackandred wrote:I think the club has made the correct decision to appoint Adam Hartlett as senior coach. I also thought the club had made the correct decision to appoint Brad Gotch and Gavin Colville.

So do I. So did I.
Go Bloods
bounce
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:17 am

Congratulations to Adam, let's all back him and hope it's the start of a turnaround in our fortunes.

He has a massive job ahead of him.

4 wooden spoons in a row, our best juniors will be drafted - Barnett, Lemmey, Ryan, Scully, maybe Steene. WE have lost our Best and Fairest and will lose several players over the next few weeks, some not integral, some much more so.

Our better players are reaching the ends of their careers and rightly wondering whether to saddle up for what is likely to be another difficult year or to go to local footy for more enjoyment and less commitment. We also have two key defenders affected badly by concussion issues. On top of that, our crowds have dwindled and will be only saved by the one-off Russell Ebert game - good work by the CEO there.

South have signed Kobe Mutch and now Zach Sproule, someone we've been interested in for years. Our KPIs include being a destination club - something we are light years away from.

The club's future is only assured if our finances are in reasonable shape, but we are in the dark about that. Let's fervently hope we are pleasantly surprised on that front.

The major issues are the lack of communication to members and the feeling (rightly or wrongly) that the Board and power-brokers just don't show any care to long-standing members and supporters.

Added to that, it seems that our KPIs are just words - total failure to get anywhere near them is just ignored or excused.

Recruiting is a very tough job. Recruiting for a 4 successive wooden spoon team is close to impossible.

Let's give Adam time to pick up the pieces and implement a strategy that will bring success in the long-term.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:14 am

bruce cameron wrote: As for previous appointments from within the club failing, there have been many others from elsewhere that have also failed.

And that have worked, but I can't recall an instance where an appointment from within has worked. Not to say it won't, just an observation that concerns me.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:50 am

Without checking,

Those from outside that have won premierships:

Dinny Reedman - 1908

G Scott - 1947

Those from outside who didn't, but would be seen as successful:

Jack Oatey

Murray Weideman

Andrew Collins

Those from within who won premierships:

Bruce McGregor

Neil Kerley (2)

Mark Mickan

Those from within who would be seen as reasonably successful:

Shaun Rehn

Geoff Morris

Those from within not so successful:

Bob Loveday

Trevor Hughes

Ian Borchard (could be in either category)

Gavin Colville *

I'm sure I've forgotten some obvious ones, but just for discussion.

It seems the success/failure rate is pretty even between the different types?

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:43 pm

I'm only referring specifically to coaches appointed from the club's existing coaching ranks, as in assistant/Reserves coaches who are then given the senior job.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:06 pm

Ah, fair enough.

Gavin Colville, Wayne Weidemann, Ian Borchard.

Any others?
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:12 pm

Coaches missing from the list are: (not off the top of my head)
Jack Broadstock
John Cahill
Laurie Cahill
John Daly
Brian Faehse
Charlie Gaudion
Bob Keddie
Bruce McGregor
Geoff Morris
Kevin Morris
Don Roach
Walter Scott
Don Taylor
Michael Taylor
Fos Williams

I guess any discussion should be preceded by a judgment of what constitutes success. (win/loss ratio, premierships, finals appearances etc) And of course, defining what from within means. Rehn, Collins, and K Morris all got us into grand finals but came up against outstanding teams on each occasion. Michael Taylor coached us for 5 seasons and won 50 out of 104 games. (48.08% - best result was a Prelim final appearance in 1998) Mark Mickan coached us for 4 seasons and won 27 out of 76 games. (35.53% - best result was a GF win in 2015) The King coached us for 8 seasons and won 98 out of 176 games (55.68% - for 3 GF appearances - winning twice)
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:16 pm

The Club has said Adam is our 27th coach.

I think there have been 38, 39 if you count joint coaches in 1941.

Not sure where the 27 comes from.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:29 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:The Club has said Adam is our 27th coach.

I think there have been 38, 39 if you count joint coaches in 1941.

Not sure where the 27 comes from.

If you use the list on the Wikipedia page and add in Gotch and Colville, then Adam becomes our 27th coach, however, there is at least one notable omission, that being Doug Thomas. Several lists only start in 1945. I've looked on our website and cannot find a list. Surely this needs to be rectified.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:47 am

I have my own list as part of my work in writing the history of the club.

We're have had 39.  I'll check our the Wikipedia list.

In 2 minutes, I can't see Bob Loveday or Shine Hosking. Or Trevor Hughes.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:51 am

The Wikipedia list excludes J Hamilton, H Lee, J Baker, C Shea, C Smith (joint coach in 1941), C Gaudion, as well as those already mentioned.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:58 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:Ah, fair enough.

Gavin Colville, Wayne Weidemann, Ian Borchard.

Any others?

Trevor Hughes.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:00 pm

Surely we're not reduced to relying on Wikipedia for our club history?
aldo russian
aldo russian

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:17 pm

It would only take a minute to realise 27 coaches is way too few in 100 years.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next