aldo russian
From The Back Stalls
Lee Harradine
12 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Round 17 v South Empty Round 17 v South

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:45 am

Was our win against a weak Port a turning point or a one-off?

South at Richmond shoukd answer that, winnable.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1948

Back to top Go down

Round 17 v South Empty Re: Round 17 v South

Post by From The Back Stalls Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:47 pm

They seem to have the right mix now so if they can keep the team together and they all play their role they will be able to finish off the season on a high. This will kick start next season off well.
From The Back Stalls
From The Back Stalls

Number of posts : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:24 pm

Kobe Ryan back in our U18 side?
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1218

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:43 pm

? forget the League, qualify players for Reserves and 18s finals?

Hope not.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:55 pm

Gay and Kennedy dropped Rolling Eyes

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by From The Back Stalls Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:28 pm

Wowee what the?
What’s the qualifications for Reserves & 18s Finals, surely they have both already qualified.
There goes my thoughts on having the balance right and building onto next year I guess.
I have faith that League will help shape the finals series with a couple of scalps in the last few games.
From The Back Stalls
From The Back Stalls

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:00 pm

Fair comment, From the Back, but we want to be IN the Final series, not shaping them!! Shocked
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:16 pm

If Gay and Kennedy have been dropped for finals qualification that's a debatable issue, although I'm opposed to that line of thinking.

They are part of our future, so I'd be getting league games into them.

Just my opinion. I think it cheapens the League team.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Bottle Top Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:27 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:If Gay and Kennedy have been dropped for finals qualification that's a debatable issue, although I'm opposed to that line of thinking.

They are part of our future, so I'd be getting league games into them.

Just my opinion. I think it cheapens the League team.  

Gay has played 11 reserve games, Kennedy has played 13.
what is the minimum to play finals?

My opinion is that the best 22 should be selected for the league team every week, regardless of the ramifications to the  reserves / U18s.
Bottle Top
Bottle Top

Number of posts : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:30 pm

It may be that a player has to play 3 of the last 5.

Totally agree with youabout the league yeam being the best possible.

Kobe Ryan playing 18s also.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by From The Back Stalls Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:52 am

Lee Harradine wrote:It may be that a player has to play 3 of the last 5.

Totally agree with youabout the league yeam being the best possible.

Kobe Ryan playing 18s also.

Lee pardon my ignorance in this, but what are the actual rules for qualification?
They have to have played 3 of the last 5 games is this correct?
Does that mean a player like Hamish Hartlett can play the last 3 games and qualify for Reserves finals?
Just seems bizarre that there are restrictions on players trying to achieve playing at the highest level. Surely having played more reserves games than Seniors throughout the year must make them eligible? Especially when it's a very high percentage of games in the Reserves like the 2 boys mentioned.

I feel for anyone that has played say 15 games has a bad corky/soft tissue injury and hypothetically misses round 16,17 & 18 then plays 19 but is ineligible to play finals. It just doesn't seem right.

It doesn't seem right that a club or player should have to choose - especially  when the Senior side is still trying hard to win the last few games to kick start next season in a positive way.

Why can't they do both
Question
Bizarre
From The Back Stalls
From The Back Stalls

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:03 am

I'm not sure of the rules, but the 3/5 would only apply if they've played league games.

I agree with you about the supremacy of the league team.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:44 pm

What a rush!!!!!!!!!!!!
We're a happy team at Westies ...
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 343
Job/hobbies : Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by Second Team Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:36 pm

Great day at the footy today.
Good to catch up with Lee and Rod.
Shocked Shocked Shocked

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Kick it forward. It's the new game plan.
Second Team
Second Team

Number of posts : 490

Back to top Go down

Post by TAAARS Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:52 pm

I was there and saw it but not sure if I dreamt it? How I remember the game was we went in a half time ahead by the smallest of margins. The 3rd qtr was all South. They had the game won half way through the last quarter. I was about to head home as it was bloody cold. Then South decided to become spectators while we kicked a goal then another and so on until we hit the front then hung on for the last couple of minutes for the win. I guess I will wake up now and it will be all a dream but a good one! Laughing
TAAARS
TAAARS

Number of posts : 282

Back to top Go down

Post by Bottle Top Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:35 pm

we doubled our entire score from 3/4 time in the last quarter!
Bottle Top
Bottle Top

Number of posts : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:48 pm

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 939
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:54 pm

First time since round 3 last year the both league and Reserves won on the same day

2015 PREMIERS. GO BLOODS
Thiele
Thiele

Number of posts : 652

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:12 am

Great to see the fightback after 3 quarters of very ordinary footy against an average opposition.

Reward for persistence and belief.

Also seems like Hamish Hartlett is making a big difference.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:33 am

It was so great to see our fans excited by our team again, I can't remember the last time we came from 26 points down in the last quarter to win. I think the fans actually helped us because they started to make some real noise when we closed to within 15 points. That's unusual for us, we usually are a reactive lot, waiting for the players to do something to get us going.
Hartlett was bloody good and very hard again. His back half of the season has been terrific. Squire had a good 2nd half, his best since round 1, and Steene got better as the game went on, winning some key hitouts late in the game. Beech was great value for touches, which can't be said for a lot of our guys, and May landed some very hard hits and tackles. Morrish was also handy but couldn't go with Fitt in marking contests. The extra height of Brand, Sinderberry or Delahunty was missed down there.

But, as Lee said, we were pretty horrible for 3 quarters and if South hadn't kicked for goal so badly we would have been 6 or 7 goals down at 3/4 time. We turned it over so many times....and because we generally do, it does seem strange to play a game style of lots of short passing. We're asking for trouble, and usually finding it.
A win is a rarity and very welcome, but we still have the same issues that require attention.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1218

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:22 am

It certainly was an unexpected win, to see Tommy Keough with a big smile as he walked down the players race was fantastic.
Hartlett has been sensational in the 2nd half of the season and he set the tone from the outset.
We over use the ball far too much especially in the back half of the ground. In saying that Boyle’s move to half back has been a real winner and he was very good yesterday. Once again our last kick into the forward
line was a problem, we badly lack a key forward.

We need to be more efficient with our ball use, but we persisted yesterday and came out with the win.
I thought Steene did well in the Ruck considering he was up against the best Ruckman in the comp.

Hopefully we can win another game before seasons end.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 937

Back to top Go down

Post by blackandred Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:26 pm

We have played some pretty atrocious quarters of footy this year and I thought our third Q on Saturday was right down there with our worst. Our ability to gift the ball to the opposition opening the way for them to score far exceeded their capacity to take advantage of our generosity
Then there was the last Q. We started to play a longer game, we took risks (they came off), we combined attack with dour defence and, much to our surprise, ran out winners. The mark of Sam May deep in defence late in the Q was inspirational.
The fact we won after playing so badly for much of the game reflected the very average opposition but full marks to our boys for their belief after being down 26pts late in a low scoring game.
South are a much taller side than us and they outplayed us in the air. Our talls (Steene, Barnett, Ellem and Ryan) took 10 marks between them while South’s talls (Brooksby, Garthwaite, Freitag and Overall) took 24. Next season we need to ensure we are able to take more marks around the ground but mainly up forward. Our goal kickers tend to be small forwards. Josh Gore is out leading goalkicker.
Ellem needs to impose himself on the game more. With his size he needs to be a focus up forward, ie a goal kicker, rather than someone who is only there to take up a tall opposition defender. We need more from Maguire as well. He has now had a good run in the senior side and is under pressure to step up to the next level in his game.
Trying not to think about next week.
blackandred
blackandred

Number of posts : 226

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down