mikeme
Lee Harradine
14 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Round 12 v Eagles Empty Round 12 v Eagles

Post by Lee Harradine Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:48 pm

The Eagles fell in by a point against South and were towelled up by Central last week.

They're not the side they were.

If we played 4 quarters like our first 2 last week .............

If.....????
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 1948

Back to top Go down

Round 12 v Eagles Empty Re: Round 12 v Eagles

Post by mikeme Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:15 am

There is a "Carlton Draught" Scheme at the moment getting ex-AFL players going to Country teams that are struggling to win a game to play one game for them to help them and to bring crowds back to their games, maybe we could be eligible to take part seeing we have not won a game since Cocky was an Egg. This week it is Jarred Roughead, other players like Cameron Mooney, Dale Thomas and more have taken part.

But we no doubt will keep plugging away with a win not to far away. We all must remember with every loss a win is a game closer and that victory whoever it is against will be so much sweeter.

Go the bloods.
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:31 pm

True, Mike.

But we said for years that a premiership was just around the corner.

Now we hope a win is just around the corner.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeme Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:41 pm

no sharp corners, just really long drive along the Hay Plain before a really really long bend.

go the bloods
mikeme
mikeme

Number of posts : 96

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:17 pm

Teams are on the website.

The Victorian style of backs at the top.

Spare us.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Claret Pedigree Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:21 pm

Either way, I'll be there with a +1. Hard to watch but still need to support.
Claret Pedigree
Claret Pedigree

Number of posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:57 pm

Lee Harradine wrote:The Eagles fell in by a point against South and were towelled up by Central last week.

They're not the side they were.

If we played 4 quarters like our first 2 last week .............

If.....????

I agree. This game is winnable. They are not the force they once were, and they have lost Ballenden, Toumpas, Mead, Cameron and T Menzel from last week. Surely, if we remain switched on for 4 quarters, we can get the job done. In fact, I'm calling it. This will be our first win since May 1st 2021.

PS
Last time we played the Eagles at home we lost by 100 pts.
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 343
Job/hobbies : Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:26 pm

Bruce,

I agree with you. The Eagles are vulnerable that’s for sure.
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 937

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:22 pm

I think we will win this week…..
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 711

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:47 pm

West Adelaide goes down to defeat at Headquarters, yet again......! Can any brave souls who ventured out give us a match report........?! Round 12 v Eagles 1f610
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by loppy19 Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:02 pm

That 1st win must surely be getting closer?
Did not watch but got about the millionth time, seems we did not show up in the 3rd qtr and that cost the game. Pretty familiar theme at west, 2-3 qtrs played instead of 4.

Be very surprised if we win a game in 2022 🤬🤬
loppy19
loppy19

Number of posts : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:34 pm

Carbon copy of last week.
Played a good first half.
7 goals to 1 in the third quarter and it was game over.
Players are getting frustrated.
Eagles were missing a lot of good players but were able to lift and brush us aside after half time.
We broke even in clearances and had more inside 50s….
Brand was excellent again and Beechy kicked 5.

Last edited by Wolf Pack on Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by LukeO9 Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:47 pm

loppy19 wrote:...seems we did not show up in the 3rd qtr and that cost the game.
They showed up alright - but around 14 entries into the forward 50 yielded only 1 goal in the 3rd, and yes, that cost us the game. With good, but fruitless endeavour, resignation and frustration entered the field. Hartlett should have presented his professional experience instead of......did he get reported?
Obviously there are some stones left unturned.
LukeO9
LukeO9

Number of posts : 151

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:55 am

Against a depleted Eagles team I thought we were a real chance yesterday but once again we failed to play 4 qrts of footy.
We should have been further in front at half time, but we
only had one forward all day which was Beech.

Once again I thought our team selection was wrong. We went into the game one tall short in our forward line. McKenzie played as a key forward and second ruck and he physically can’t do both. Marslen should have played.
Ellam either plays back this week or he gets dropped.

I thought Boyle across half back was very good and our second best player behind Beech who was fantastic.

Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 937

Back to top Go down

Post by MR BLOODHOUND Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:32 pm

Arrived at the the oval at about 1pm yesterday expecting my usual meal from the bar b q but not available due to gas leak . Wander down to the canteen for a pastie , no pie or pasties all sold out so had to join the long q for hot chips . I thought Villis being 5 minutes away they would be able to get more pies and pasties with in a short time but it was well into the second quarter of the main game before more food arrived . Not good enough and when was the gas leak discovered . Bad enough with my team losing but no sausage is the end .
MR BLOODHOUND
MR BLOODHOUND

Number of posts : 67

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:08 pm

For weeks now we have been hearing that we just need to work on being better for longer, but the improvement isn't coming. Probably because too many players aren't capable of it. We did play some good footy in the first half but we also burnt the ball a lot; so many of our kicks and handballs were intercepted. WWT were very sloppy too and gifted us the ball several times.
We matched them in clearance numbers but I reckon they had more high quality, clean clearances, where Redden just put it down the throat of Knights or Clarke. McKenzie did much better than Cleeland in ruck but still doesn't do enough across a game.

We're getting nothing from our wings. Meline, Chamberlain, Mattingly....just not getting enough of it.

On the plus side I thought Hartlett was our best, did a lot of good body work in packs, though his discipline failure might cost him a short break (along with P.Fairlie who I'd be very surprised to escape a report.) Brand kept putting his sore body on the line bravely, Sinderberry suddenly looks like a League player, Morrish has had a good couple of weeks, Joel Stevens was good again and Beech was great.

24 losses in a row. Where's our apology? Where's our explanation? Where's our encouragement? Where's our crisis meeting?
And if Cade Kennedy doesn't get a senior game this week, then I'm not sure what criteria the selectors are using. Then again, I'm already not sure.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1218

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:45 pm

Perhaps a Board of so many non-West people don't understand the hurt we lifetime supporters feel?

I would just also like to say how good Jono Beech has been for us for so long.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by bludntars Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:06 pm

do any board members go to the football to see what goes on also the ceo havent seen any communication from her
bludntars
bludntars

Number of posts : 61

Back to top Go down

Post by loppy19 Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:14 pm

Anyone paying the $80 to hear our president guest speak? Perhaps you need to pay to hear them speak about matters on field 👍
loppy19
loppy19

Number of posts : 126

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:34 pm

A good summary there, Aldo.
Mattingly is coming of an ACL so will need some time to find his feet. I actually thought Meline looked  ok. He kicked a goal and missed two others.
We know the team has deficiencies in several areas BUT that is no excuse for the predicament we are in.
We’ve got 7 games to go. 5 of those at home including a home game in 2 weeks against Central. Let’s hope we can win a couple of them.
It’s been a horrible season so far.
The reserves are also struggling at the minute. Cade Kennedy must be promoted but there isn’t a lot there to come in.

Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:08 pm

Wolf Pack wrote:
We know the team has deficiencies in several areas BUT that is no excuse for the predicament we are in.
We’ve got 7 games to go. 5 of those at home including a home game in 2 weeks against Central. Let’s hope we can win a couple of them.
It’s been a horrible season so far.

I was bitterly disappointed with our performance yesterday. Again, we came up against a team that was seriously undermanned and failed miserably. When the game was on the line (3rd quarter) we couldn't match the undermanned Eagles, similar to previous games. We again kicked late goals after the game was lost, (4 out of the last 5 goals) which only served to make it look like the result was closer than it actually was. In Round 3 against the Eagles we kicked 4 out of the last 6 goals. This has been a familiar pattern over the past two seasons and probably before that.

How do we best measure improvement? Statistics don't give a true picture. Yesterday, we won contested marks, tackles, clearances, inside 50s, and pretty much broke even in overall disposals and uncontested marks. And had the same number of scoring shots.

Do we look at losing margins? Well, as already noted, these can give a false impression. We lost the Rd 3 game against the Eagles by 13 pts, but never looked like winning it.

Do we rely on our development squad to produce players of the future? This would be ideal, but in recent years we have not developed many consistent league-level players. Last year our development side was humiliated in the elimination final against Centrals, despite having several players with league experience. From that side, ten have since left the club and most of those who remained have struggled to play regular league football.

Do we simply measure improvement by the number of games we win or scoring more goals? At the moment we are on a 24 game losing sequence, the longest since 1905-1907. Last year, in Rd 16 against Sturt we failed to score a goal, something we hadn't managed to do in 100+ years. Our average goal tally this year is 9.27, not enough to win most games of football.

Brad Gotch was interviewed recently by Andrew Capel for The Advertiser. The written article was titled, Gotch's mission to lift Westies off the Canvas. Here are some quotes from that article.

But they are truly invested, united and responsive to our method of coaching. This is a big statement, but I think I am coaching as well as I ever have.

The players are taking everything on board and are in it for the right reasons and the youngsters are showing some really good signs of improvement. But for one reason or another things haven’t quite gone our way this way. Injuries to key personnel haven’t helped. We feel like we are making some real progress, but unfortunately, that hasn’t shown up in the wins column.

The club has been down for a while and we recognise that transformational change is hard and confronting but I cannot fault the players’ attitude or training standards, so my message has been to be patient.

We are getting better and will reap the rewards before too long.

Without wishing to be overly critical, these comments do not inspire confidence. ie Hang in there: be patient. Our luck will eventually change and we will be able to reap the rewards before too long.

Brad is a well credentialled, experienced coach with a modestly gifted squad to work with. His is a difficult task to lift us off the canvas. (a 4th consecutive wooden spoon is more than likely) It must be extremely difficult to maintain team morale in these circumstances. I'm sure Brad is doing his best and in his own estimation is coaching as well as he ever has, but without success. Ultimately, he'll be judged against his win-loss ratio. If we don't win a game this season it will sit at 2 wins, 34 losses.

As disappointing as these results are, I'm even more disappointed by the lack of communication from the club. Members have heard nothing from Bonner, Wilson, or Siekman while Murray's promised monthly President's Report only appears every 3-4 months. Many long-term members have stopped attending games or only attend spasmodically. I feel as though the club doesn't value its most passionate supporters and agree wholeheartedly with Aldo's comments:

24 losses in a row. Where's our apology? Where's our explanation? Where's our encouragement? Where's our crisis meeting?
bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 343
Job/hobbies : Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:18 pm

Thanks bruce cameron, there needs to be some sort of coup, a revolt, an extraordinary general meeting or SOMETHING for Members and Supporters to voice their grievances against this Utter Failure of the current Board, or whoever has put the WAFC into its current position. We were promised the World and have been delivered abject and utter Failure. Enough. Seriously, what can West Adelaide people do against this travesty of justice for a once great Football Club? What will it take!?
RODH2
RODH2

Number of posts : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by bundy Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:48 am

RODH2 wrote:Thanks bruce cameron, there needs to be some sort of coup, a revolt, an extraordinary general meeting or SOMETHING for Members and Supporters to voice their grievances against this Utter Failure of the current Board, or whoever has put the WAFC into its current position. We were promised the World and have been delivered abject and utter Failure. Enough. Seriously, what can West Adelaide people do against this travesty of justice for a once great Football Club? What will it take!?

I agree 100% we are a bloody joke. The board should hang their head in shame!!!!!!!
bundy
bundy

Number of posts : 446
Job/hobbies : Lawn Bowls

Back to top Go down

Post by Bottle Top Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:54 pm

bundy wrote:
RODH2 wrote:Thanks bruce cameron, there needs to be some sort of coup, a revolt, an extraordinary general meeting or SOMETHING for Members and Supporters to voice their grievances against this Utter Failure of the current Board, or whoever has put the WAFC into its current position. We were promised the World and have been delivered abject and utter Failure. Enough. Seriously, what can West Adelaide people do against this travesty of justice for a once great Football Club? What will it take!?

I agree 100% we are a bloody joke. The board should hang their head in shame!!!!!!!

Are there any members that voted for the club to be run by SANFL stooges, who would like to comment on the clubs current predicament?
Bottle Top
Bottle Top

Number of posts : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:26 pm

Coach's Report - another big step forward.

At least I report to you again having witnessed another very competitive performance by our senior team against the reigning Premiers who endured a thumping at the hands of Central Districts the previous week. For the fifth straight week we put ourselves in a genuine winning position, but just were not able to sustain it for the full four quarters. We are clearly showing that its not far away if we continue to stay strong together.

On reflection, making more of our first half dominance [13 shots on goal to 6] would have seen us go to the break with a bigger lead. To the Eagles credit, some of their premiership heroes lifted their work rate when it counted and that was again in the 3rd quarter. We didn’t match them especially in the last 10 minutes when they kicked 4 unanswered goals. We will unpack that 3rd quarter in review & hopefully take the learnings of it into Sturt next Saturday.

A stand out game from Jono Beech who scored five Goals and tried everything to lift the team in every way. Our Captain Tom Keough went down back to D Menzel and held him to just the one goal until I moved him forward to try and regain the game to secure a win. Jordon Boyle moved to half back to cover the loss of Kenny Karpany who was a late omission to witness the birth of his first child, while Jordan Boyle had a big impact, especially launching some much needed offence for us. Jackson Edwards, Patrick Fairlie and Joel Stevens continued their recent improvement with solid midfield games. Yet again Hamish Hartlett fought really hard all day and showed his class and relentless fight for the ball. Tom Morrish and Jye Sinderberry are contributing really well as they settle in to the SANFL competition, improving with each game they play, which is very exciting for our future. Josh Gore was one of our goals scorers, while Lucas Meline showed plenty on the wing. Callum Parks’ offensive run was exciting to watch. Josh Ryan returned in the reserves having missed five games due to concussion. It was exciting to see him in good form and growing in confidence as the game went on. We look forward to him returning to the League team.

Saturday was another big step forward but we are still in search of that polished four quarter performance so trek out to Unley this Saturday & support the team as they strive to do that for you all.

Thanks again for all your support.

Brad Gotch

L
eague Coach
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down