Nominations for Member-Appointed Directors

5 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

Nominations for Member-Appointed Directors  Empty Nominations for Member-Appointed Directors

Post by Oldfella Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:26 pm

https://westadelaidefc.com.au/news/nominations-for-member-appointed-directors/

Our newly adopted constitution allows for one additional member-appointed director.  Along with the vacancy that arose from the recent resignation of Troy Abbott from his role, there are now two casual vacancies for member-appointed director positions.

It was decided at the February 2022 AGM to hold a member election for these two positions now, rather than the board appointing them and having to wait until the next AGM to hold the election.

Nominations for the above positions must be completed on the official form which can be obtained within the Director Information Pack. A nomination must be proposed and seconded by two (2) financial members of the Club and returned to the Chief Executive Officer no later than 5pm on the 21st of March.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 958
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Nominations for Member-Appointed Directors  Empty Re: Nominations for Member-Appointed Directors

Post by Lee Harradine Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:20 am

The Board of Directors is pleased to announce that nominations for the two vacant member-nominated board positions have now been filled. There were two valid nominations received which removed the need to conduct an election.

The successful candidates were:

Tiandra Tamiaans

Christopher Schmidt

Both Tiandra and Chris will serve three-year terms on the Board. We congratulate them and look forward to the valuable contribution they will both make in their new roles.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2009

Back to top Go down

Nominations for Member-Appointed Directors  Empty Re: Nominations for Member-Appointed Directors

Post by Oldfella Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:37 am

Good candidates I feel

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:31 pm

My concern here (and the merits of the candidates are irrelevant) is that the members have had no say in the member-appointed directors. I understand why but this system is just too open to abuse. The Board could just approach/encourage a couple of people to stand for the positions (and even discourage others) and you essentially end up with another couple of Board-appointed directors. I realise we would have got a vote if the number of nominees exceeded the number of positions, but it just adds further to the feeling that the club is operating at arm's length from the members.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1234

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:55 pm

If members do not want to nominate then I find it difficult to blame the board.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:12 pm

I agree oldfella, there would be no issue if more people nominated but when they don't I think we're left with an unsatisfactory system.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1234

Back to top Go down

Post by Coolie Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:15 pm

Also. Totally agree with your sentiment but the way ALL boards are generally established, they can only appoint from those that have nominated. Whether it be complacency or genuine lack of confidence and time on behalf of the members is up for debate. Probably compounded by a declining number and “aging” membership. Unfortunately I don’t know of any alternative and the perception of “stacked” board will exist.
Coolie

Number of posts : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:17 pm

My best wishes to the new Board Members.

Separately, I think after the election a couple of years ago between a 50 year member and a 5 day unknown member, it's not likely any member not favoured by the Board would bother to nominate and I've said that consistently.  

Separately again, if there are over 70 voting memberships 'held' by sponsors, and one member doesn't know the sponsors, that's a huge hurdle to overcome before a member starts (hypothetically).

I'm not remotely surprised there was no election.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:23 pm

Just a further question, perhaps oldfella could answer.

I thought the Member-elected people were for 2 years, with an election for one every year.

Marteine was elected at the AGM with no-one else standing, presumably for 2 years, now Chris and Tiandra are to serve 3 years according to the statement. Does this mean there will be no member election next year and did the new Constitution amendments change the member elected term to 3 years, not 2? I missed that if so.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:33 pm

Best I have at this minute -- under new constitution all board terms are 3 years -- martines position was called as 2 years as she was fiĺing board member who resigned unfulfilled time (2 yrs) --- issue for club to resolve at sometime ref latest 2 appointments.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Bottle Top Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:04 pm

this will be an ongoing problem with  member appointments whilst club membership continues to decline (barely 1000 members this season).

not everyone is cut out to be a (competent)* board director.

* this remark is in no way directed at the incoming appointments.
Bottle Top
Bottle Top

Number of posts : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down