Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COVID Top Up Players

+6
merrick
Lee Harradine
Lachlan
aldo russian
Coolie
Wolf Pack
10 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Go down

COVID Top Up Players Empty COVID Top Up Players

Post by Wolf Pack Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:01 am

So the AFL are looking at AFL clubs being able to grab players from state leagues if COVID is an issue during the season.
It is quite possible that Hartlett, Brand and others could be playing AFL in 2022.
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 792

Back to top Go down

COVID Top Up Players Empty Re: COVID Top Up Players

Post by Coolie Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:27 am

Probably will. It’s the quickest, cheapest way that requires stuff all thought and effort from the suits in Victoria. Don’t expect any resistance from the SANFL. They have to get off their backs to stand up.....
No doubt the proposal will have the full support of the two “white ant” clubs in S.A. Yet another example of the total disrespect for our (what was) unique competition.
Coolie

Number of posts : 64

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:46 pm

The decision just announced means that if AFC or PAFC is reduced to 28 players to choose from, due to Covid and injuries, they'll be able to pick a maximum of 4 players from the SANFL club they're aligned to in terms of next gen academy players, which in our case is Port Adelaide. So now, not only can we lose players to a mid-season draft, we can lose them at any time during the year. This attitude is what is killing state leagues, because it's so disrespectful to the fans and volunteers of those clubs.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1354

Back to top Go down

Post by Lachlan Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:52 pm

Aldo,

Your post is spot on
Lachlan
Lachlan

Number of posts : 1022

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:29 pm

The AFL signalling their disdain and lack of respect for the SANFL.

The SANFL signalling their continued lack of respect for their competition.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2174

Back to top Go down

Post by Coolie Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:16 pm

Would be interesting to find out the Boards attitude to this decision. Comments on Facebook suggest they are complicit to say the least. Don’t know if it is the decision itself or the fact we are “ aligned” to the one team that has shown total disregard for the SANFL that infuriates me the most. These decisions impact on struggling team more than those with a depth of talent.
Coolie

Back to top Go down

Post by merrick Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:21 pm

One thing i dont understand if a player signs a contract to play for a SANFL club how can the AFL override it.
merrick
merrick

Number of posts : 93

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:35 pm

I believe it is standard wording in the SANFL players contract mate

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 1040
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by blood bath Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:15 am

I am hoping Covid doesnt strike the Power, we could be in big trouble since they have nominated:

Hamish Hartlett West Adelaide
Kaiden Brand West Adelaide
Tom Keough West Adelaide
Josh Ryan West Adelaide
blood bath
blood bath

Number of posts : 79

Back to top Go down

Post by Bottle Top Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:31 am

so it is possible that the West Adelaide Captain, 2 Vice Captains and  Deputy Vice Captain could all be absent from our senior team to help another football club field a full senior team!

if this scenario eventuates, i think that will be the end for me.
I'm not paying $200 a year for this bullshit.
Bottle Top
Bottle Top

Number of posts : 90

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:49 am

This is the quote from the SANFL on our website:

SANFL congratulates the 40 players selected in the Covid Contingency Lists and wishes them all the best should they be required to play for Adelaide or Port Adelaide football clubs this season at the highest level of our game,” SANFL General Manager Football Matt Duldig said.

”We are proud of the eight SANFL Clubs’ successful development of our strong pool of talent in SA, and the players who represent the Hostplus SANFL League with distinction.

”While losing players mid season is not typically a model SANFL supports, after working with the AFL we believe this structure ensures the strength and integrity of our competition will be protected should the need arise for AFL Covid Contingency List players to be activated.”

I'm not sure how this ensures the strength and integrity of our competition, but although I certainly respect Matt Duldig, I have no respect for the SANFL, especially for this sort of double-speak.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Coolie Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:49 pm

below is a copy of what I have forwarded to the SANFL. As stated I will post their reply should I get one.
"Some time ago I wrote and congratulated you on refusing to cowtow to the AFL in regard to their rule changes. It appears my congratulations have been premature and misplaced. It has become quite evident that you have allowed the SANFL to become subserviant to the AFL.
Your latest foray in this downward spiral is to allow the AFL teams access SANFL players in the event they (the AFL) can not fill teams due to COVID.
If I may be way of example - the team I follow could loose their captain, 2 vice captains and deputy vice captain should the AFL team suffer from COVID. An AFL team I hasten to add, that had abandoned the SANFL, has since shown utter contempt and disrespect for the SANFL competition and is under the illusion our competition owns them a living.....

Your response to the mandate from the AFL said in part

"While losing players mid season is not typically a model SANFL supports, after working with the AFL we believe this structure ensures the strength and integrity of our competition will be protected should the need arise for AFL Covid Contingency List players to be activated.”

my questions to you are

What does "working with the AFL actually mean ??

Exactly HOW does this ensure the strength and integrity of our competion.

I look foward to your enlightened reply. With your permission I will post your response on my Clubs members forum

Coolie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bottle Top Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:22 pm

Coolie,

good luck receiving any reply from the (AFL) stooges at SANFL headquarters.
that press release came straight from the commissars at AFL House.

and to think that West Adelaide members willingly ceded their Football Club to this flea ridden lapdog of the AFL.....
Bottle Top
Bottle Top

Number of posts : 90

Back to top Go down

Post by Wolf Pack Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:55 pm

It would be highly unlikely that all four of our players would be required all at once. If it was to happen, we are stuffed!
I agree with Bottle Top in that we pay $200 a year, some even more for membership to support a club in a competition that could become farcical!!
I fear for the future of the SANFL, the way it’s heading.
Had a chat yesterday with a past SANFL player from another club. He left the comp mid last year and now plays Div 3 Amateurs. He is getting $400 a game. Most of our players wouldn’t get that much money!!
I can’t remember losing so many players across the league in an off season.
The lack of financial incentive is a real problem….
Wolf Pack
Wolf Pack

Number of posts : 792

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:34 pm

The AFL don't care.

The SANFL get money from the AFL and toe the line.

The Clubs get money from the SANFL and think they have to toe the line or are forced to, IMO.

The involvement of the SANFL in us changing our Constitution is set out in my book and that's just what was safe to print.

Coolie, well done. If you get a reply, it will be a whitewash of course.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce cameron Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:06 pm

Coolie wrote:below is a copy of what I have forwarded to the SANFL. As  stated I will post their reply should I get one.
"Some time ago I wrote and congratulated you on refusing to cowtow to the AFL in regard to their rule changes.  It appears my congratulations have been premature and misplaced.  It has become quite evident that you have allowed the SANFL to become subserviant to the AFL.
Your latest foray in this downward spiral is to allow the AFL teams access SANFL players in the event they (the AFL) can not fill teams due to COVID.
If I may be way of example - the team I follow could loose their captain, 2 vice captains and deputy vice captain should the AFL team suffer from COVID.  An AFL team I hasten to add, that had abandoned the SANFL, has since  shown utter contempt and disrespect for the SANFL competition and is under the illusion our competition owns them a living.....

Your response to the  mandate from the AFL said in part

"While losing players mid season is not typically a model SANFL supports, after working with the AFL we believe this structure ensures the strength and integrity of our competition will be protected should the need arise for AFL Covid Contingency List players to be activated.”

my questions to you are

What does "working with the AFL actually mean ??

Exactly HOW does this ensure the strength and integrity of our competion.

I look foward to your enlightened reply.  With your permission I will post your response on my Clubs members forum

Excellent letter and post, Coolie.
I hope you get a response. I sent a letter to the SANFL in 2020 and never got one.

Interesting that both the AFL and SANFL believe that this structure ensures the integrity of both competitions. What a farce. It is bad enough that the AFL can take local players in the late pre season draft and mid season draft, now it's whenever it wants to. I'm so disappointed in the SANFL for agreeing to this arrangement. Both Port and the Crows should be forced to draw on players in their Reserves teams. Isn't that their purpose? At the very least they should be forced to use the four nominated players from their Reserves teams before looking elsewhere. What about the potential for abuse? eg A long list of players with 'general soreness' or 'close contacts' so that one of the AFL clubs can cherry pick a particular player.

This is so disheartening. After several years of modest recruiting, supporters now find out that our two most expensive recruits might disappear at any time through the season. And of course any top up players could sustain serious injuries. Will the stand alone SANFL clubs receive any compensation?

It's an absolute shame that this once great competition has been reduced in such a way. The SANFL statement sounds like they are delighted with this arrangement. 'We congratulate the 40 players' and are 'proud of the 8 SANFL clubs' for developing such a 'pool of talent.' Reading this makes me feel like vomiting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAgfPHP1w0I

bruce cameron
bruce cameron

Number of posts : 379
Job/hobbies : Retired

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:16 pm

I'm with you Bruce. The SANFL is not acting in the best interests of the SANFL and I'm not sure why the clubs are standing by and watching this happen.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1354

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down