Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AGM

+2
Barkez
Lee Harradine
6 posters

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

AGM Empty AGM

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:22 am

https://westadelaidefc.com.au/news/update-notice-of-annual-general-meetings-and-elections/

No election, Marteine Edwards unopposed.

Murray Forbes appointed for another 3 years.

Mark Goddard reappointed fr another 2 years.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Number of posts : 2164

Back to top Go down

AGM Empty Re: AGM

Post by Barkez Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:50 am

Well that would’ve made you happy Lee!!!
Barkez
Barkez

Number of posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:09 pm

Obviously I wish them well.

A lifetime of supporting and working for a club you love means you always put club success above all.  I'm currently writing a complete Club history to maintain my contribution to the Club.

I do wonder why the Nominations Committee replaced me and several long-serving Westies' people after two pretty good years of improvement on and off the field and then rubber stamp others after 3 wooden spoons and financial problems, but that's life.

I'm looking for3ward to the Annual Report due by tomorrow.

Go the Bloods.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:03 am

Still no Annual Report?

No explanation of the Constitutional changes?
Would it perhaps be a good idea for the Governance Committee to publish an annual report to members on their oversight.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:15 am

Here we are , 9 days to the AGM and still no Annual Report (2nd year running) and no apology for its lateness.

Will the AGM need to be postponed constitutionally?
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by aldo russian Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:29 am

Lee Harradine wrote:Here we are , 9 days to the AGM and still no Annual Report (2nd year running) and no apology for its lateness.

Will the AGM need to be postponed constitutionally?

Surely. If there aren't consequences to not adhering to the constitution, what's the point of having one? They don't get to choose which parts of the constitution they want to abide by.
aldo russian
aldo russian

Number of posts : 1343

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:21 am

Guys --- Constitution Rule 17.3 is clear that documents referred to must be available by no later than the last day of January so until midnight club actions are consistent with Constitution.

17.3      The Club must furnish annually as soon as practicable after the end of a financial year of the Club and in any event not later than the last day of January thereafter a report of the activities of the Club for the previous financial period of the Club together with the duly audited Balance Sheet and Profit and Loss Account of the Club

Hope this helps

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Life long passionate supporter
Oldfella
Oldfella

Number of posts : 1038
Job/hobbies : Retired due to severe clinical depression

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:30 am

Yes, I understand that, thanks oldfella, but that's always been predicated on the AGM being around the 14th February, as per past practice and the last Constitutional date, hence it's always been about 14 days. As you note, the Constitution says 'as soon as practicable' after 31st October, but in any event no later than 31st January.

I think after the unconstitutional delay last year, they wouldn't have left it to the last possible day to publish them this year.

Anyway, let's hope it's good news.

Last edited by Lee Harradine on Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:39 am

Hi Lethal,

Do not disagree in anyway with you comment reference last year --- my response was not aimed at your response rather at Aldo's question --- sorry for confusion I should have been clearer in my response -- SORRY

To be honest and as you know I have no/limited knowledge on financial matters nor any knowledge on the time and  actions required for preparation of the report.

While admitting surprise over many years how delayed some reports can be I presume time is lost due to factor such as compilation -- review by Auditors and review approval by Board. Obviously best guesses by me.

From your day job Professional perspective and personal experience on the Club Management would it be possible for you to educate me and others a bit on the issues involved.

Thanks in anticipation mate

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:42 am

Thanks oldfella, when it comes out, I'll do my best.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:52 pm

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:30 am

I'll attempt to give an overview of our financial result.  First, I need to acknowledge the Annual Report was issued in the time set by the Constitution, if only by a few hours, but that's OK.

Our net profit was about $224,000 for the year.  The only other results I've seen have been South at $670K and North at over $700K.

People may ask why clubs are announcing profits.  It's mainly due to two factors, the first being Covid assistance and the other being the increasing SANFL Land Sale grants.

Murray Forbes and Mark Goddard have been open that our results are not sufficient to have confidence in our ability to operate comfortably and I welcome their reports along those lines.  The reason is partly as follows:

To our $224,000 profit, depreciation of about $180,000 (haven't checked exactly) can be added to reach a 'cash' profit of about $400,000.  This is better than Murray's estimate at the Members' Forum, but welcome.

Hopwever, the $400,000 includes the folowing:

SANFL GRant                                $350,000  (paid off our debt)

Jobkeeper                                    $320,000

Government Payroll rebates           $60,000

Total                                            $730,000

There are some other one-off items, but these are the main ones.

So our underlying result on normal trading (affected by Covid) is a cash loss of about $330,000 and a statutory loss of about $500,000.

Despite this, the Jobkeeper and SANFL grants are real money, so the 2020/21 result of $224,000 is 'real'.

The problem is how we stand when these grants discontinue.

I'll address that next.

Last edited by Lee Harradine on Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:41 am

Let's presume we increase our trading as Covid wanes, hopefully.

So we could expect our trading profit to increase nicely.

The SANFL Land grant continues for another year or three, I think, so that $350,000 will further reduce our debt.

The Jobkeeper and payroll rebates will cease, so that's $360,000 less income.

On top of that, Murray has stated that football expenditure will increase by a budgeted $350,000.

All in all, that is a very worrying situation to me.  I hope my analysis is wrong and it may be, as it's hard to draw exact conclusions from the financials without burrowing down in more detail.

Last edited by Lee Harradine on Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:46 am

Finally, bar and gaming was up from the previous year, as was function income.  SANFL payments to us were down by a massive $270,000, but player payments were down by over $300,000 to compensate.

Administration expenses were up massively, but probably as a consequence of reduced staff due to Covid the previous year.

It also seems to me that after years of cutting costs, the 'sugar hit' from Covid grants was invested in more staff, etc and that will be hard to maintain.

The above is for discussion only, as I don't have any access to detail, so I might be way off, but just an attempt at a summary.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:57 am

Fantastic Lee thank you so much

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:18 pm

Oh, honorariums were zero last year due to Covid, but about $120,000 this year, way above the usual amount.

I don't know if this is a catch-up from last year, or increased payments to people.
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:36 pm

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:08 pm

So does this mean a member elected director will be voted on by members or be appointed by the Nominations Committee?

Oldfella?
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:40 pm

Yes ----- the existing and proposed Constitution advises that the Board appoints replacement Member Elected Director but only until next AGM.

13.3 Any casual vacancy occurring during the year in the position of any Officer of the Club may be filled by the Board but any person appointed to fill such vacancy will hold office only until the Annual General Meeting following his/her appointment and shall be eligible for re-election if he/she is a Members Nominee(s) replacement and if nominated by the Nominations Committee if the person is a Nominations Committee Nominee replacement to that Office.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:08 pm

So if Troy had resigned before Christmas, they could have appointed someone just until next week and the members could have elected someone?

Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:26 pm

If I read rule correctly then yes and no hypothetically.

Board could have appointed someone just until next week however given that there was only one nomination for Member Elected Board Member at this AGM then there is no nominee for the members to elected therefore Board could appoint a replacement until next AGM.

Given  then it seems fair to suggest that timing of Troy's resignation creates little effect.

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:00 pm

So, of the 7 original Board members after the change, only 2 remain after 3 years.
I doubt the Nominations Committee has met their KPIs if they had them?
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Harradine Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:22 pm

It's the AGM tomorrow night.

Any questions need to be asked?
Lee Harradine
Lee Harradine

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldfella Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:10 pm

Just home from AGM and thought I would post some things that stuck in my old old mind.

Two new Life Members Bernie Conlen and Josh Schiller (spelling?) ---- wonderful nominations well received by all in attendance.

It was also pleasing to see the senior Coach and Club Captain attend the full meeting.

Very professional but also friendly night run well by Murray -- a great night to be around Westies people.

Some absolutely great question especially by Lethal were raised by Members and were responded too n a fair manner.

Given that 2 Member Elected Board Member positions are unfilled the President sought Members permission to conduct a special election to be undertaken in next month to fill those positions --- I seconded that motion but also moved that if there were insufficient nominees that the Board can appoint a person for the full term not just until the next AGM -- this was accepted by Members unanimously from memory.

The ball is in Members hands now with this matter as if no one nominates then shame shame shame IMO

Oldfella
Oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Coolie Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:27 am

G'day Oldfella
As I was unable to attend I am pleased that you felt positive about the meeting. Perception is a major part of the battle to win others over. regarding the "call to arms", methinks its not going to be that simple. There would be some who would like to give it a go, but may feel intimidated or lack confidence given the "perception" the current Board maybe somewhat "anti member"
The fact that someone of your standing felt comfortable after the meeting hopefully indicates a change in direction.
thanks for the summary
Coolie

Number of posts : 64

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

:: FORUM :: BLOODS FORUM

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum